Author Topic: Rail Modification  (Read 2282 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Rail Modification
« on: March 16, 2020, 11:01:46 AM »
Being the dumbass cheapskate I am, I thought I snagged a smoking deal on a steel Warne rail on ebay for my Savage 12FV. Turned out it was for an old model 12 with a flat on the rear of the receiver. The 12FV is round front and back. Decided to modify this one to suit. The receiver is Ø1.352", but I cut the rail on Ø1.325" so it would positively touch in 2 places rather than potentially being tippy. Simple hand written G-code only about 25 lines long. It runs a subroutine loop to step over along the cut path. The arc is being cut in G19 YZ Plane. I cut about .003 off the factory end in the same setup to make sure both surfaces were plane and in line.

I screwed up again, and found out the hard way the counterbores were cut deeper on the flat end. I broke through into them. I was able to get some larger headed 6-48 screws and cut larger C-Bores on that end to salvage the rail for the 2nd time.

Moral of this story is I should've just ate this one and bought the correct one. But it worked out and basically only took some time.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Rail Modification
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:17:16 AM »
Nice save -- and thanks for sharing. G code is something that I'm not familiar with. I'm basically just and old fashioned manual machining hack.

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Rail Modification
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
Mad skills Gman.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?