Author Topic: Home Defense With Children  (Read 3777 times)

Offline muddy

Home Defense With Children
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
We live in an area where we don't have to worry much about intrusion.

Right now I have all my firearms locked in a gun cabinet. I've read here that many keep a firearm in the nightstand or the like next to the bed.

With a curious, intelligent 2 yr old in the house I don't believe that this would be a smart choice for us. As he is very impressionable and wants to do what daddy does every bit!

What would be the best thing for me to do as I really don't want a gun laying around for the children to get to. However I want to be the most prepared should the need for it arise.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Home Defense With Children
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:54:00 PM »
Your best bet is pistol lock box. You can even mount it out of the kids reach and still have quick access if needed. I'm glad your thinking about that Tim.
When the wife and wife couple had their house built across the road, they had lock boxes installed by every exterior door. They were either paranoid or wanted to be prepared and safe.

https://gunforest.com/best-handgun-safes/

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 06:45:56 AM »
they had lock boxes installed by every exterior door.

I've done that with fire extinguishers.  The logic is in the event of a fire you go to an exit, grab the extinguisher, turn around, see a wall of flames, realize the house is a lost cause and get out.  If you choose to go back in and fight the fire, you won't be between the fire and the exit.  Of course your actions would depend on if you were alone or with your family.

I guess when you need one, there is no such thing as too many fire extinguishers, or guns.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:21:31 AM by RustFarmer »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 07:16:58 AM »
DN is right Tim -- lockbox on/under the nightstand or mounted to the wall is the way to go.

I know you worked real hard on that vintage wood gun cabinet, but with kids around I would only display my long arms in it and move very bit of ammo and every other handgun in the house into a sturdy gun safe. You and Mandy will sleep better at night.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 07:35:33 AM »
Does anyone make a lock box that would appear to a visitor or burglar to be something else?  Clock radio, Coat rack?  I guess there are wall safes that look like pictures.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 08:41:58 AM »
Does anyone make a lock box that would appear to a visitor or burglar to be something else?  Clock radio, Coat rack?  I guess there are wall safes that look like pictures.

Sure! There are a multitude of solutions for hiding firearms in plain sight -- from books to liqueur cabinets, the choices are vast. 

https://secretstorages.com/best-hidden-gun-safes/

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:49:41 PM by highland512 »

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 09:34:22 AM »
Deadnutz is right, a handgun safe is the best solution. I always thought one mounted to the bed rails was best, but what ever you do make sure it is VERY securly mounted. Thieves have no problem stealing a whole safe and breaking it later.

I don't really worry as I work from home (as do several of my neighbors) and am basically retired at this point anyway, but even I don't have a gun cabinet for display, though I would love one in my office. My safe is in a far corner of the basement so it is even harder to deal with for crooks. My father in law once told me about a gun dealer who had a safe at his home in the country that thieves simply cabled up to and yanked out and down the road.

But good on you for thinking about it, and also keep a fire extingusher by the stove.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
we had a picture frame  held a pistol about 5 feet of the floor in the bedroom. i still don't think my 20 and 24 yr old know about.

now they hide the guns from me!  :021:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!