Author Topic: old timer's tricks, hacks and cobbles that worked  (Read 20746 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: old timer's tricks, hacks and cobbles that worked
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2019, 01:15:06 AM »
I save the little plastic top from a can of shaving cream.  They're good for small screws, nuts, etc, or if you want to soak something small in Evaporust.

I keep a tin can half full of ATF so when I need to soak a ratchet or pair of pliars that are a little stuck in it, it's easy.
boop/bop/beep

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 11:03:20 AM »
Don't think I saw this one in a previous post...

If you need to split open a wiring harness use a seam ripper; they are cheap, come in larger sizes and most importantly will not cut the wire if used properly.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2019, 02:40:52 PM »
Don't think I saw this one in a previous post...

If you need to split open a wiring harness use a seam ripper; they are cheap, come in larger sizes and most importantly will not cut the wire if used properly.

I like that..
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
Got hard old rubber parts that need a refresh , just soak them in lacquer thinner . They come out soft and clean.

I wonder if high mileage motor oil will "renew" rubber items. Especially those that have shrunk. Whatever additive they put in there is supposed to swell old rubber seals and make them more pliable. Thinking maybe this principle could be used for shrunken rubber parts on other items.

Or do you think that the ingredient only becomes active with engine heat?  ???

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
Someone once told me a piece of toothpick will swell and plug a pinhole in a garden hose, I tried it and it certainly works.

And I was told Wd40 is great for removing tape gunk from your knife's blade, it certainly works great.
I hate having my blade all gunked up with tape, it makes a knife cut like crap.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
And I was told Wd40 is great for removing tape gunk from your knife's blade, it certainly works great.
Yes, a decent solvent but a poor lubricant.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2019, 10:28:24 PM »
Yes, a decent solvent but a poor lubricant.
I wasted so much WD40 as a kid using it to lubricate things, used it for everything because like a lot of people out there I mistakenly thought it was a lubricant.
Gotta have a bottle of 3n1 around as well.
At least it did a decent job at keeping my bike chain from rusting, at least it seemed to.
Always lookin' to learn

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2019, 11:11:02 PM »
I ve tried gas but it makes the parts stretch and saggy, dunno if oil will do the same being petroleum based.
Try the Lacquer thinner it works really well.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
WD is a very good product with many uses. Use it to clean chrome, leaves a light film that evaporates when running temps are reached. Cleans SS braided fluid lines, pictured, like no other product I know of. S Green and WD are the only cleaners I typically use.

Hold a rag under the line, spray along top, crap runs right into the rag & wipe, so easy I could fall down.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:19 AM »
WD is a very good product with many uses. Use it to clean chrome, leaves a light film that evaporates when running temps are reached. Cleans SS braided fluid lines, pictured, like no other product I know of. S Green and WD are the only cleaners I typically use.

Hold a rag under the line, spray along top, crap runs right into the rag & wipe, so easy I could fall down.

Pep
I wonder if it would remove permanent marker ?
Hairspray definitely works but leaves things tacky and smelly, sure WD has an odor but it's a manly one like gas or BLO :))
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2019, 10:35:11 AM »
Have to agree we Pep, wd40 is a great cleaner.  It along with steel wool will clean rust off chrome among many other tool cleaning chores. 

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »

Pep
I wonder if it would remove permanent marker ?
Hairspray definitely works but leaves things tacky and smelly, sure WD has an odor but it's a manly one like gas or BLO :))

Yes, it is good for removing marker, tape residue, etc.  Sometimes you have to put some work into it, but it does the job.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2019, 11:10:19 AM »
WD 40 is also good for loosening stuck/brittle electrical connector plugs. If you have a stuck plug or tab, just spray it, let it sit a bit, and the tab and plug will be much easier to uncouple.

When working on a bigger job, I usually spray every connector beforehand -- makes for a lot less stress and cursing when trying to unplug things.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
Have to agree we Pep, wd40 is a great cleaner.  It along with steel wool will clean rust off chrome among many other tool cleaning chores.
My grandfather always swore by neverdull for chrome, but I've used on stuff with little success.

For chrome I set aluminum foil dull side out, .Somehow you end up with a mild abrasive that works wonders on rust spots on chrome.

Of course I'm not old timer at 24, but I that's where I get it from.
Some I probably even learned on the old GG when I wasn't busy running my mouth  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 01:01:41 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2019, 01:36:55 PM »
Not really an old timer's trick but not well known is to use dielectric (silicone) grease on the car's soft door and t-top seals.  If I remember right Chevy recommends that Corvette owners use it on the t-top seals once a year.  So along with its use on some electrical connections and spark plug boots it can help keep the elements out of your ride.
Nick
Yorktown, VA