Author Topic: My bikes.  (Read 24438 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: My bikes.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Wow Bman those bars got tweaked pretty bad. Glad you made it through the crash. I wish you bike guys lived closer to me as I would give one of you this Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed that I got from a foreclosed house. Needs new tires and the shifter cable that is chain going into the rear hub got snagged and broke. Overall the bike is in pretty good shape. Anybody in the neighborhood can pick it up for free.

Thanks for the condolences. I was a bit banged up, walked to the nearest business to use their phone.

That Schwinn looks like a beaut. Too bad you're not close enough - I'd snag that in a heartbeat!
Gotta be careful, cause Schwinn's used odd tire sizes on alot of their bikes. And many of them are NLA.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
Here is my main ride:

'75 Raleigh Super Course (almost as old as me, a '71). I am in the process of getting it ready for riding, as I had slowed down after my back surgery a few years ago. I also quit smoking at the same time and have gained about 50lbs. So, I am putting Shimano mechs on it, as it has Hurets. Not that there is anything wrong with the French stuff, but they are all sized for metric down tubes and the Raleigh has standard sized tubes. I am convinced this is why people have problems with the French components. I am also putting a new, taller stem on it to make it easier for me to ride. Along with new wider tires and fresh bar tape. An easy winters project.

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »
Here is my main ride:
'75 Raleigh Super Course (almost as old as me, a '71). I am in the process of getting it ready for riding, as I had slowed down after my back surgery a few years ago. I also quit smoking at the same time and have gained about 50lbs. So, I am putting Shimano mechs on it, as it has Hurets. Not that there is anything wrong with the French stuff, but they are all sized for metric down tubes and the Raleigh has standard sized tubes. I am convinced this is why people have problems with the French components. I am also putting a new, taller stem on it to make it easier for me to ride. Along with new wider tires and fresh bar tape. An easy winters project.
I've got a 1978 or so vintage Raleigh Record Ace hanging in the garage. 

My regular ride is a Jamis road or a Klein mountain bike.  Keeps me in shape for motorcycle riding  ;)
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Here is my main ride:

I love the old Huret parts. Around 1991(?) they got bought out by Sachs (a German bike parts maker). But they couldn't compete with Shimano, and eventually SRAM bought them. But SRAM didn't continue with the components.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 07:24:50 PM »
My hybrid - being a "mechanics special" - needed several McGyver fixes to get the non-standard parts to fit.

For instance, the bike is designed for (and manufactured with) cable guides to use a (from the) top pull front derailler. The old classic FD I wanted to use was a (from the) bottom pull design. How to get the cable from the top guide to "pull" from the bottom? I fashioned a cable guide out of an old 3-speed cable pulley and made my own attachment clamp. Cable pulls from the top, travels 180 degrees around the pulley, and ends up pulling the derailler from the bottom. Works like a champ, out of the way, and cool as heck!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Very clever.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 08:39:02 PM »
I have not ridden a bicycle in a few years.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »
No problem Tim.  Pushing the plymouth back into the tall grass after major meltdowns is enough exersize when walking to work for a few weeks is figured in.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 10:19:02 PM »
My main ride, if you can call it that because the geared bike get action too.  She gets pushed 20 miles a day. 2012 Specialized Langster factory single speed. Upgraded with Campy brakes, and oval bars, shorter stem to suit me, and I have converted most of the bikes over to Conti Gatorskins.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »

Yes....I do own and ride this.....meebbbbeee....not daily tho. At least once a week.  ;)

Is this how you earned your screenname?  :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Ha....no. I guess I adopted this from the sensation that realizing that I am no longer 30, or 40, or 50....makes me what my screen name conveys. In age, I am old, in my mind and actions, I am a young whippersnapper.

Hope that makes sense.  ;)

Offline muddy

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 09:01:43 PM »
No problem Tim.  Pushing the plymouth back into the tall grass after major meltdowns is enough exersize when walking to work for a few weeks is figured in.
:))

At 209,000 miles, It has to make 300,00 or complete catastrophic failure before I scrap it!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 10:44:42 PM »

My boss has a 2.5 turbo in a K wagon with the auto trans.  He would love to sell it as he has to take the car off the road for lost papers.  alu rims too.   About 120 grand on that one.  Just broke in.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 02:52:42 PM »

Yes....I do own and ride this.....meebbbbeee....not daily tho. At least once a week.  ;)

Is this how you earned your screenname?  :))

Maybe his surname is Turtle?  :D

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
My Raleigh "Professional" now with fully Campy, formerly straight from the factory with Weinmann calipers (blech!) and a Regina corncob rear cluster. The former goofball owner put Campy stickers all over it, but I just have not yet sprung for the repop stickers to do it justice. Brooks saddle, Shimano SPD-R pedals.

It gets a few miles put on it when I am in the mood for a retro-ride. Downtube shifting baby! Old skool style.