Author Topic: My bikes.  (Read 24447 times)

Offline muddy

Re: My bikes.
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »

My boss has a 2.5 turbo in a K wagon with the auto trans.  He would love to sell it as he has to take the car off the road for lost papers.  alu rims too.   About 120 grand on that one.  Just broke in.
No papers I don't think that would work to well. However a 2.5 turbo wagon would be fun lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
The most recent addition to the 2-wheeled stable. A 1965 Schwinn Varsity "Sprint". This model had the upgrades of a chrome seatpost, Sprint emblazoned leather saddle, Sprint derailleurs and crankset. Original vinyl grip tape, but new tires as of this week. Note the downtube shifters which were repositioned to the bar stem in a few years.  Yes sir....she weighs a ton too. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
The most recent addition to the 2-wheeled stable. A 1965 Schwinn Varsity "Sprint". This model had the upgrades of a chrome seatpost, Sprint emblazoned leather saddle, Sprint derailleurs and crankset. Original vinyl grip tape, but new tires as of this week. Note the downtube shifters which were repositioned to the bar stem in a few years.  Yes sir....she weighs a ton too.

Are the tubes the Schwinn "electrowelded" ones? They do weigh a ton.

Back in the day Schwinn didn't just make their own frames - their made their own tubes! All they bought was steel plate. Their cut it into strips, beat them semicircular on a tapered mandrel, and then welded them together to make tubes. They then cut the tubes to length and welded those together to make frames. Basically indestructible, but oh so heavy. But back then they were into durability, and alot of weight didn't matter - it was exercise after all.

Must have been one heck of a day at the Schwinn factory with all that welding going on.  >:(

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 11:00:32 AM »
Schwinn was in the parlance vertically integrated. It made the bikes but it also made many of the parts that went into them. I think at one point they also controlled their own distribution. It's rare to find contemporary companies that vertically integrate anymore.

Just as a general question I have been considering getting a bike for exercise. How do you figure proper frame size? I'm 5'6" with about a 28" inseam.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
If I may do a bit of inquiring......thanks for the height parameter.

Is this a road bike with drop bars, road bike with flat bars, or perhaps a mountain bike with a sloped top bar you are considering?

Based on the above, I can offer some guidelines. Bike fitting is part science, part art, but clearly centers on comfort.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
With top notch quality frames sizing is more of an art plus careful measurements and calculations. For most of us normal people the following rules of thumb are helpful.

#1) Straddle the bike in question. If it's a road bike you want at least a good inch between the top tube and the "boys". (A mountain bike you want more like 3-4 inches, but if the top tube is sloped then this becomes meaningless).

#2) For seat height on a road bike, put the pedal at the 5 o'clock position, and put you foot on it so the ball of your foot is centered on the pedal. Adjust the seat post until your leg is almost totally straight but just short of "locking" the knee. When the height is right, you should just be able to "lock" your knee by straightening out your leg with no strain or pain.
On a mountain bike you want the seat lower, and have 3-4 inches between your butt and the seat when your legs are straightened/slightly bent (for clearance when on rough terrain).

#3) Handle bars: (very subjective) With road racing bars, the top of the handlebar stem should be about an inch below the seat height. The stem extension should be so that when riding and looking down the middle of the handlebar the front axle should be blocked from view. The bar width should be your hands are in the normal place on the bars (on the brake hoods (road) or grips (MTB) when you arms are right at your sides.

These rules should get you in the ballpark about whether or not the bike you're considering is close to what you need.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:06:52 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 06:20:23 PM »
Steve, I have a copy of an older (1972) cycling book that was the standard of it's time, and there's a chapter on buying, what to look for, sizing, etc. If you want I can make a copy of that chapter and mail it to you, as it's been awhile since I've looked at it and I might have some of the advice misquoted.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
Due to some physical issues, I prefer a frame that is a little smaller than what my height would suggest. I usually go for a 52cm size. If I remember correctly, they are sized from the center of the crank to the top of the top tube. Mountain bikes have shorter crank arms, so that is something to consider.

Road bike size chart
Rider height   Suggested frame size
Feet/Inches   Centimeters   Centimeters
5`3″-5`6″   160-168 cm   51-52-53 cm
5`6″-5`9″   168-175 cm   54-55 cm
5`9″-6`0″   175-183 cm   56-57-58 cm

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 08:15:32 PM »
If I may do a bit of inquiring......

Just goes to show how long it's been for me.

Probably a cruiser maybe a 10 speed.

Bonneyman that would be very helpful, thank you.

bmwrd0 thank you! I appreciate the chart. The crank arms being short is less a problem than the legs being a little short.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 09:56:10 PM »

Bonneyman that would be very helpful, thank you.

OK, I will dig out the manual and get those pages copied for ya!

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 03:23:34 AM »
Thank you very much.  8)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
Schwinn was in the parlance vertically integrated. It made the bikes but it also made many of the parts that went into them. I think at one point they also controlled their own distribution. It's rare to find contemporary companies that vertically integrate anymore.

Just as a general question I have been considering getting a bike for exercise. How do you figure proper frame size? I'm 5'6" with about a 28" inseam.

For some reason I always thought you were tall, like 6' 2" or taller!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »

Yeah, Steve "sounds" taller!  :))
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:13:03 AM by bonneyman »

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »

Nope must have me confused with some other extraterrestrial.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »

Nope must have me confused with some other extraterrestrial.

Just took your stuff to the UPS store, Steve. He said it would go out with today's mail.

It is dated (just look at the photos!) but I think it's still usable. Hopefully it helps.