Author Topic: Sheet metal tools: Malco  (Read 27705 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: Sheet metal tools: Malco
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 04:03:35 PM »
Yes thanks for the education.  The crimpers sell for me from time to time but tin snips sit on the shelf and i have some real nice ones.

Oh, the angled seamer ( i think  you call it) sell decently also

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »
Yes thanks for the education.  The crimpers sell for me from time to time but tin snips sit on the shelf and i have some real nice ones.

Oh, the angled seamer ( i think  you call it) sell decently also

Yeah, every AC guy should have a hammer, driver or two, an awl, several pairs of snips, and a hand seamer. Even if they "don't do installs". With most AC's attached to duct work of some kind these few basic hand tools are must haves.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »
I do not consider myself a tin knocker but these are just plain handy to keep around. Come to think of it, only Malco tool I own.
Black grips, top of pic.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
Actually did many years with cheapo and regular Home Depot-quality pop rivet guns until I found the Emharts. Man, is this what it's like driving a pickup your whole life....and then finding a Corvette?   8)

Online jeffmoss26

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 09:55:49 PM »
Nice. I have several different sizes of Malco scratch awls. They make some good stuff!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
Nice. I have several different sizes of Malco scratch awls. They make some good stuff!

I think that's what killed them - they made their stuff "too" good.

Don't quote me, but I think they still offer their awls in the orange polycarbonate. The screwdrivers were discontinued some years ago, but I think you can still get the scratch awls.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 11:09:00 AM »
not sure how i missed this one. i fondly recall helping a couple guys do furnace install, repair and tuneups in my younger days. two of the guys used almost all malco tools, one of them only had the bare minimum and whatever he could find. the malco was the best. two of the guys moved their business and one of them i refuse to work with again so i doubt i will ever do it again.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
Just pulled out my MALCO 4-in-1 screwdriver today for a job - worked like a champ!

Online jeffmoss26

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
Several years ago I found a Malco scratch awl in a drop ceiling...and by found, I mean it fell out on the floor as we moved a tile to run some wire. Good thing it didnt land on someone's head!

Offline wreckercologist

• Always smooth and refreshing!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
that leather handled hammer reminds me a lot of the old Estwings
The floggings will continue until morale improves

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
Several years ago I found a Malco scratch awl in a drop ceiling...and by found, I mean it fell out on the floor as we moved a tile to run some wire. Good thing it didnt land on someone's head!

A little off topic but this happened in a rental I was helping to fix due to heroin addict tenant absolutely ruining the place. Aside from a bunch of horrific things we found, one sticks out: the drop ceilings had A LOT of used needles just sitting up there.  :-\ :-\ :-\

PSA: always check above drop ceilings. Another time I saw a guy get nailed in the face by a Stanley Fatmax 25' tape that was up there, double duh HE left it up there in the first place (he was looking for something else he had lost  :D )

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »

A little off topic but this happened in a rental I was helping to fix due to heroin addict tenant absolutely ruining the place. Aside from a bunch of horrific things we found, one sticks out: the drop ceilings had A LOT of used needles just sitting up there.  :-\ :-\ :-\

PSA: always check above drop ceilings. Another time I saw a guy get nailed in the face by a Stanley Fatmax 25' tape that was up there, double duh HE left it up there in the first place (he was looking for something else he had lost  :D )

Geez that's the first time I ever heard of that!  :-\

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
Came across a Malco scratch awl today. Completely unexpected.

The tip is bent, and the handle has some damage and residue. Needs the lauver treatment for sure.
Just couldn't leave it. They're just not that easy to find in the wild, and are such good tools.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:20:46 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
Here she is clean up and ready to work.

Online jeffmoss26

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
Looks great!! ^^