Author Topic: Dead Welder  (Read 4564 times)

Offline GNAP

Dead Welder
« on: November 26, 2019, 07:24:18 PM »
At 9:45 am, this morning the every trusty Miller Maxstar 200 died a sudden death, during a weld job in Montpellier, VT, I had to finish the job with the 200’s little brother the Miller Maxstar 161S. The death was unexpected and very untimely.

The hunt for its replacement has now started, so far the leader seems to be the Miller Maxstar 210STR. I haves Miller CST 280, but in most cases the needed inlet current is too high, the Lincoln Invertec V-275S is bigger, heavy and has a even higher amp load.

So it appears the GNAP’s Christmas present to himself this year is going to be a new welder, oh joy!!
jack

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Dead Welder
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
How many miles on it?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:39:48 PM »
It a fatal wound? Don't think you can resuscitate?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »
What part actually "died"? Those things are pretty modular, and replacement parts (though not cheap), are reasonable. Any chance of fixing it Jack?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 09:09:31 PM »
Nothing like that new welder smell to bring joy to the holiday season ;D

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 11:17:15 AM »
Dynasty 200 time!  ;D

Offline GNAP

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
The cooling fan blade shattered and blew the shrapnel through some critical items, not sure if any are seriously damaged, the shear number of error codes, it threw, scares the GNAP and his checkbook.

As a proactive plan, I have a new Miller Maxstar 210 STR on order, and after the exploratory surgery (autopsy??) and the repair cost are known, the decision to trade in the hulk, toward the new one or fixing the old one, will be made.

My already testy mood has taken a turn for the worst, we have moved to DEFCON 3, and the sights on the current horizon, makes me believe, it will not be going down soon.
jack

Offline GNAP

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 05:24:34 PM »
Dynasty 200 time!  ;D

I have had 2 of them, too complicated and fragile for service truck work, but I currently have a Dynasty 350, in the shop, but I have absolutely no need for AC welder of any kind, in our type of work. I need a small single/3 phase DC stick welder that is capable of roughly 150-200 amps. We don’t TIG or MIG, just stick weld. The Maxstar series of 200 amp welders is perfect, good duty cycle, small physical size, no unnecessary/unneeded fancy TIG features, solid welding capabilities and relatively inexpensive. For us the small Maxstar series of welders, fits all our needs. Until now, the late Maxstar 200 has work flawlessly for almost 15 years.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:33:40 AM by GNAP »
jack

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »
Well 15 years of commercial use, that's pretty good.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 11:43:02 PM »
No disagreement on the dynasty being over complicated. The maxstar fills the gap nicely right between the baby 150-160A machines and the serious cst. Hopefully repair isn't more than $500, but it will probably make more sense to just bite the bullet and go new. I never get too attached to a welder as they always seem to leave you right when you get to loving them the best.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 05:25:54 PM »
The title says it all, there is a new welder smell in the GNAP’s shop. After roping Norm into getting the new snowblower (Jasper is dead, long live Jasper), we ate at the Chinese Buffet, then went to the LWS, I gave them the old (possibly dead) Maxstar 200, they gave me the new Maxstar 210 STR. I got it home, installed the electrical plug, then plugged it in and started it up. So far so good, that new welder smell has permeated the shop, I’m almost excited. The welder’s first arc in anger will be at a gas piping job, next week.
jack

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »
arc in anger........ :)) :))

have fun with the new blue box.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!