Author Topic: Plumbing  (Read 3467 times)

Offline bmwrd0

Plumbing
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:42:16 PM »
I hate plumbing.

I hate that every single thing in my house takes five times as much work as it should, as it is a 100-year-old house, and it had been pretty neglected for years.

I hate brass compression fittings that corrode over 30 plus years. I hate it when the only way to get leverage on said fitting is to "come from behind." In other words, put a hole in the wall.

I hate it that nothing in a 100-year-old house is off the shelf at a box store. If it is, it was probably cheap Chicom crap installed in the '80s and is now breaking down.

I hate that the nearest big box store is Lowes, which never has any quality parts, plumbing or electrical, but that is the nearest store. I think it is funny that I can go to HD and buy US-made plumbing fixtures and Klein tools, but I have to go all the way to the other side of town. I know more than anyone who works there, but I can at least find some quality stuff. The ACE around here is very new, inside a grocery store and the employees are all green as fake money. There are real hardware stores around, one in each direction but 10 miles away.

So, the toilet is no longer running all the time, a new shutoff valve installed, and a project for tomorrow, repairing the hole. Maybe I will put in an electrical fixture.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Plumbing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
I can sympathize. I once (in my younger/dumber years) decided to completely finish the inside of a timber frame home shell. Lowes and HD were useless, but thankfully an old-fashioned hardware and lumber yard was only slightly further away and the oldtimers were a wealth of information. It took two years longer than planned to finish, but it was a valuable life lesson.

Good luck in your "old house" adventures. In 20-30 years you'll look back on this time and marvel at your patience and perseverance -- LOL

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
I feel your pain Aaron. We had a fixture and faucet store in town that only stocked the good Kohler, Moen and other stuff. When we re-did the shower after we bought the house we bought the good Moen shower valves and Kohler heads. They weren't cheap but they will outlast us unlike the cheap plastic crap at the big box stores. That store is gone now and if I need anymore quality genuine Kohler faucet stems I will have to hunt for them.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 05:17:56 PM »
http://saffronsupplyco.com/Home_Page.html

If I have to make a big plumbing purchase, this is my go to place.

Fuk Lowes. We have on in Mac, absolutely never has what I need. HD is a little better, but not worth the drive to Salem from home, and if I go that far, I'll go to a real supply house.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »
Oh, I like the work, I am a little slower now, but that is to be expected. The house was remodeled in 1960 apparently, and while that was owner done, much of it is pretty solid, albeit funky. In about 1980 various things were done, like the bathrooms "updated" and kitchen counters. Things like that. That stuff is horribly done, with cheap hardware. And after that, the guy we bought it from did no real maintenance or upkeep. I talk to the neighbor, an electrical engineer, and find out that if anything went wrong, HE was the one who fixed it.

So, now when something happens, I put in quality hardware, install it right, and so on. It is nice that the house wasn't gutted at some point and totally redone in the cheap Home Depot contractor way, which happened to so many of these homes.

One of the nice things, people will come up out of the blue to say that they lived there 40-50-60 years ago, and love how we are treating it. One day, an older man came by with his granddaughter (he was about 60) and told me that his grandfather was the one who initially built it. Who's name is attached to the house. That was kinda cool.
'

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:47:30 AM »
Recently a "Menards" store came to town and it puts Lowes and Home Depot to shame.  They stock at least double of the other stores and a lot of higher quality items.  Anyone have a Menards store and comments?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:05:57 AM »
I agree. I hate plumbing!

In my 50 year old house, most all of the original fixtures and piping are still OK. It's all of the "renovation" work and newer fixtures that keeps wearing out. Ace is useless for anything quality - Lowes and HD aren't any better. Had a true Value hardware store close up about 6-7 years ago, and they had old parts, fixtures, and people who knew what the heck they were talking about. One last old fashioned store across town is barely holding on. I expect him to fold within the next year.

We do have this construction salvage palce down town that gets useable stuff from old home teardowns. They have doors, parts - even sinks and toilets. Might be the only place left to go before long.

https://www.ahandymanshaven.com

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
I hear you on the 50-year-old parts, George. The old parts of the house are great, even the knob and tube. The only problem with that is the in-wall splice (mucho dangerous) and that the insurance for that is sky-high. I am totally confident in my electrical work, at least up to 460vac, but not the previous owner. I have had to redo a lot of that; make sure plugs and lights are wired right, rerouting bizarre work, and so on. I did call an electrician I knew as I had never done residential rework of this magnitude. He mostly showed me a few tricks to get past the blockages in the walls and the best ways to deal with lathe and plaster. He was impressed with my wiring and helped with permits. It was worth every penny.

I am with you about salvage places. It's part of the reason I always swing by the restore. That and tools...