Author Topic: Modern alignment machines are "the bomb"!  (Read 3041 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Modern alignment machines are "the bomb"!
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:23:23 AM »
After doing all the extensive front end parts replacement on the Caddy, I took it in for an alignment this morning. Being New Years day, the place was totally empty and the nice polite young alignment tech asked me if I wanted to watch in the shop. I jumped at the chance.

What I saw next was totally amazing. I know it's not "rocket science", but this kid just received a new Hunter machine and it was nothing short of a technological marvel. I haven't worked with an alignment machine since the 90s where we still had to attach big heads to the rims and strings between the heads to get the thrust angle measurements correctly dialed in. These days it's lasers, wireless OBDII connections where the car literally "talks" to the alignment machine and tells the Hunter machine it's steering angles and alignment geometry requirements -- the Hunter takes it from there and calculates the adjustments.

What used to take an experienced pro 1 hour back in the day, this young pro and his Hunter machine did in 20 minutes. Simply amazing -- I was floored!

I know not too many folks get excited over alignment machines, but this new technology is absolutely a gearhead's dream come true.   

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:32:56 AM by goodfellow »

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Modern alignment machines are "the bomb"!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 10:42:24 AM »
So your saying my old Snap On alignment tools are obsolete?  :'(
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 12:22:28 PM »
Those new alignment machines are only as good as the tech using it. My go to front end shop is old school, real old school. 2nd generation is running it now and it appears they are still using the original machines. They fix tons of vehicles that have come off of other shops "better" alignmnet racks.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 01:34:40 PM »
didn't know they were that sophisticated.  Doesn't surprise me though.  My neighbor sells front end equipment along with other shop equipment.  I know the heads are smaller and set up is easier but that is about it. 

He normally has one in his shop, but the fun part is his lift/alignment rack.  From the 60s.  Not unusual to see his 59 El Camino sitting on the rack with the new heads on the wheels and the little electronic console in front. 

Offline eborcim

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
I wonder if I can put a bluetooth appliance on my 1966 Chevelle to have it talk to the alignment machine?

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »
Just drive into the service lane at my Toyota dealer, and they know (and it displays) for all to see.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20181001/RETAIL05/180929749/alignments-popular-with-new-device

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
My experience is with the "newer" Hunter models and only having the pre-camera ones shown to me made me a believer in the setup.  The setup was generally easy and a "check" could be made in about 15 minutes.  A toe-N-go about 30 minutes.

I was frequently able to do a true 4-wheel alignment in about 45 minutes depending greatly on the vehicle.  I agree the skill at alignment is still in the hands of the tech, frequently they only know to match the lines on the screen and don't have a good concept of caster, camber and toe.

Nick
Yorktown, VA