Author Topic: Tech Upgrade  (Read 3385 times)

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
Tech Upgrade
« on: January 01, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
FINALLY Verizon FIOS has made it to my neighborhood.

I've been limping along with DSL at a screaming maximum of 3 Mbps for quite some time along with the wired land line.  While Netflix worked, using anything else on the internet was frustrating.   My interaction with Cox Cable in the past was not good so we have been waiting impatiently for Verizon to upgrade and using an antenna for broadcast TV.

Now I have 50 Mbps with home phone and TV for less than I was paying for the DSL and the wired line alone.  I feel that Verizon's goal is to get everyone off of the wire system and they will not be supporting it in the near future.  While I know the price will go up the benefits are already visible.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Tech Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 05:14:45 PM »
Nice!! We have Cox, but in my area it's not that fast -- best we can do 45-50MB download, and 10-15MB upload

One of our cable boxes went out this weekend and they couldn't even connect to it to do a diagnostic. Can't wait to get fiber to the front door.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 06:12:55 PM »
I have DSL on the land line and it's fine for the computer. But I've heard companies are going to be dropping land line support by 2020, so, we'll have to see what happens.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 10:27:53 PM »
Are we talking land line as in phone service not receiving support down the road ?

Down load is always quicker, the way we use the net, fast up is not necessary. If streaming video for others to view, movies, real time gamers, blazing up is needed, oh yeah forgot the gamblers, they need the up speeds.

Neighbor just connected to fiber, DN & UP clocks 980 mbs .. truth be known watching his computer the page pop was not noticeably faster. I was really looking for it to be more crisp.

Sit in a data center, connected right at the hub, backbone whatever you want to call it, the speed is 300mbs at my desk. What I'm saying is don't get over crazed with the speed, yes it has its place, and most of us will be very happy with 75 - 150.

Another observation, a wireless connection will run about 1/2 of the copper Ethernet speed. that is normal, conveniences always has a price.

Let me just add one more bit of fyi, I just learned by buying the wife a new machine. That there are computer companies that sell two types of computers. Consumer and Business, the big difference in the two models are the system boards, and the network capabilities or architecture.

Case: the wife's machine was only seeing 35 mb wireless, my machine was 75-85 . Sat the machine next to the router, same speed. Ok lets get her a newer machine, off to MicroCenter, return home, was very specific when buying, why I was buying.

Get home crank up the new machine, run the speed test, back in the box it goes and back to the store.
That's when I get told about the, Consumer and business models.

Well I say give me the Business machine, not going to get into the full conversation, but home I went with a Business machine, problem solved.

So ya'll beware there a few little goodies to know and arm yourselves with. When buying a computer, internet speeds and services rendered.

It is a bit of a mess out here and there is a load of BS from these internet and computer sales folks.
Hope to have shed some light on the matter, given  food for thought.

The speed test is a copper connection, when on wireless that speed is 1/2 seen.

Pep

1776 ................... what happened!

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 06:46:49 AM »
Are we talking land line as in phone service not receiving support down the road ?

Pep
At least in my neighborhood the Verizon tech said yes, they will eventually eliminate their support of copper connections.

The speed change for me was significant and now being able to watch my YouTube cat videos while the wife is watching Netflix is a plus  :))

I did reconfigure my Apple Airport router/access points as bridges to extend a strong signal out to the shop/garage because the Verizon modem/access point/router was free and supported.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »

Pep
At least in my neighborhood the Verizon tech said yes, they will eventually eliminate their support of copper connections.

The speed change for me was significant and now being able to watch my YouTube cat videos while the wife is watching Netflix is a plus  :))

I did reconfigure my Apple Airport router/access points as bridges to extend a strong signal out to the shop/garage because the Verizon modem/access point/router was free and supported.

Ok, I understand why they say that, V does not own the copper in the ground, must rent it and the hardware to support, switches, cross boxes and so on.

When Southern Bell broke up into two companies AT&T and Bell South. BS (Southern Bell) had the advantage, they owned the copper, everyone else must rent the access & routes for their customers.

Apple ....... do not offer business or customer models. And explains and I may add, justifies the expense of the machines. The network chips are industry standard, do not kid yourself your paying for the modem and router.

Upgraded my service for VOIP, that required a gateway  be installed. So retired the Airport extreme, and purchased the gateway.

Network hardware stages for ISP services offered.
Basic: Modem
Bump: Router: (modem/wireless)
Max: Gateway: (modem/wireless/voice)
Best part of the voice option found so far, actually there are 2. First the robo calls are no more. Comcast has a software package included, that auto detects and nullifies them. Long distance being the other.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!