Author Topic: Am I the only Santa here?  (Read 6284 times)

Offline m_fumich

Am I the only Santa here?
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:27:57 PM »
I know in one of my last post on the old site I mentioned that I had become a professional Santa. Well, 2018 was my 4th season. Everything I make goes to support my animal rescue work. I’m in a local parade. I’m Santa at the resort hotel next door to Graceland. It’s called The Guesthouse at Graceland. I’m a member of the International Brotherhood of Real Bearded Santa’s. I do some charity appearances such as the Salvation Army and an adult daycare for the disabled. I was at Bass Pro for 2016 and 2017. Due to a major screw up by the lady running the staffing agency, they only offered me 6 dates in 2018 they needed someone to fill in. I declined and told them I am no longer available for them. Anyway, being Santa is really the only thing about Christmas I like. Next year I get to do an appearance for a Jewish school, off site, with Dreidel Man. By next Christmas I’ll be playing the ukulele even if it’s just two or 3 Christmas songs.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:58:47 AM by m_fumich »

Offline coolmercury

Re: Am I the only Santa here?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:59:10 AM »
Maybe, but good for you and the happiness you provide!!!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
WOW, a very authentic looking Santa Matt! I bet good Santa suits do not come cheap! 
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 12:42:43 PM »
Off the rack good suits run $300 and up. The high end off the rack suits start at $800. Custom suits start at $1200 unless the seamstress is family. I can’t see the difference. I’ve used the same suit for 4 seasons and I bought it used. My mentor used it for one season then lost weight so he sold it to me. I will buy a replacement before the 2019 season and it will run a little over $300. The old suit will be used exclusively for Pet Pictures with Santa. My belt, buckle, and buttons aren’t original. If I’m making an appearance where I’m gonna be a while and might take off the coat, I wear a pirate style shirt and a vest. Both custom made. I’m upgrading my boots this year from the good costume boots to AdTec 16” engineer boots. To assemble a complete outfit as I normally appear, it would cost at least $1500 to buy it all again. I haven’t ruled out the possibility that those high end off the rack suits might be sufficiently superior to my $300 suit. It might require wearing on to appreciate the difference. I have 2 vests from 2 different seamstresses and very different prices. I about choked when I saw the higher price of one vest. But once I saw the quality of her work, I knew it was a bargain.

I’m very traditional in how I try to look. But what’s tradition in the US isn’t tradition for everyone. I use the Coca-Cola ads from the 30’s as my guide as well as the poem “T’was the Night Before Christmas”, the original “Miracle on 34th St”, and the 1970 “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.” I prefer the Coca-Cola look; fur at the bottom of the coat and on the cuff. None up the middle and no fur collar. I can go with or without fur on my boots. In the UK, I’m told a Father Christmas look is pretty common with a long robe over a vest.

Some guys use a lot of extra stuff like canes with bells on them, bells hanging from their belt, jeweled keys, and any number of extra stuff I consider junk and not true to the fable of Santa. But clients aren’t the perfectionist I try to be. They just want to be entertained. While I’ll never use bells, I will be adding some things in to my performance for entertainment purposes.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
Wow Matt, you do look good

Offline ron350

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »
You make a movie quality Santa reminds me of Miracle on 34th st. I bet it feels good to make people smile all the time.  :)

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
You make a movie quality Santa reminds me of Miracle on 34th st. I bet it feels good to make people smile all the time.  :)

Little kids and old women are the most fun. I’m shocked at what some women will say to Santa.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
Hey, not bad!

As I recall Papaw does a good Saint Nick. Perhaps he'll see this thread and post a pic.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 11:52:09 PM »
We bought our house a couple of years ago from a professional Santa Claus.  He's in this video...NSFW

Yeah, not my taste in "music"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:54:52 PM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »
I’d have passed on that gig. They guy that is my mentor and is responsible for helping me get started as a professional Santa is now the Santa at Graceland. He got that gig the same year I got The Guesthouse at Graceland which is nextdoor to the mansion. I actually interviewed for the Graceland gig but I knew Stephen would get it. Because he’s the Graceland Santa, he’s in “Christmas at Graceland” which came out this Christmas.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 01:21:54 PM »

Little kids and old women are the most fun. I’m shocked at what some women will say to Santa.

I bet it is shocking what some ladies, young and old might say/or even do with Santa just for shock and awe!  :))
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »
One lady, in the lobby of The Guesthouse at Graceland, bent over, slapped herself on the butt, and said “Do you think you can handle this?” I didn’t know WHAT to say. I sure wanted to find out if I could handle it or not.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »
One lady, in the lobby of The Guesthouse at Graceland, bent over, slapped herself on the butt, and said “Do you think you can handle this?” I didn’t know WHAT to say. I sure wanted to find out if I could handle it or not.

HOHOHO, santa always carries a flashlight in his pocket lady!

We bought our house a couple of years ago from a professional Santa Claus.  He's in this video...NSFW

Yeah, not my taste in "music"

Interesting  O0

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35:24 PM »
Never had a thought to try being Santa myself.  Prices of the costume are kind of a shocker.   Don't know how one gets along with that much hair, plus a full beard!  Be tough to crawl under the truck*S*. 

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 07:37:22 AM »
$350 is a lot to spend. At least for me it is. I’ve needed a 2nd suit from the start. I’ll have one before next Christmas. But this suit has been used for 5 seasons so the annual cost is cheap. You get used to having a full beard all the time. Some guys shave after Christmas then let it grow back starting between March and July. I like mine to be as long as possible to allow for trimming and shaping. I’m going to have to employ some Jose Eber techniques if I’m going to get the look I want from my beard. I look too much like Walt Whitman in his later years.