Author Topic: Post up your Bonney tools!  (Read 27801 times)

Offline bonneyman

Post up your Bonney tools!
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »
Wrenches.
To me, wrenches and ratchets are the mainstay of a hand tool manufacturer. What kinds of wrenches they make, and what innovations the ratchets contain, define the company in my book.
First thing I look at when a new brand comes out is the wrenches. Combo wrenches are a good indicator, as they have a box end and an open end. You can see the overall length (is it well matched to the opening sizes), the shape (and thus comfort) of the shank, and the quality of the finish. Used to be that the combo wrenches were the backbone of the hand tools. I think that that has shifted to the double box wrenches. DBE's lack an open end, but in alot of applications today open ends have taken a back seat. DBE's provide more grip, are less prone to slip, and each wrench can have two sizes, making them more versatile. For me, the DBE's are the flagships of the tool line. (It might explain why I'm always buying them even though I have plenty!)

Bonney is no exception. Their DBE's since 1967 have the patented Loc-Rite broaching system. This rounded profile grips fasteners away from the corners and more on the flats. This reduces slippage, and allows for greater torque to be applied without damaging the fastener or the tool. Nowadays virtually every manufacturer offers some form of enhanced grip on their box ends and sockets. But back in the 60's, it was a true innovation, and I think Bonney did it better than anybody around.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 09:20:45 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Post up your Bonney tools!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »
Ratchets.
During the Triangle Tool era Bonney employed a double see-saw pawl design that effectively doubled the tooth count of their ratchets. 36 teeth became 72 effectual teeth. Though I never considered Bonney ratchets "smooth" I'd have to say they are quite stout. (Think of the S-K roundhead times two)! I have seen my share of Bonney ratchets with a broken pawl - it's only recently that I discovered a way to keep using the ratchet with the single remaining pawl by doing a small mod. At least it keeps you form having to throw the ratchet away (or saving the parts for the next rat)!
The mainstay of the Bonney ratchet line during the last few decades of their operation were the -702K models. The first letter prefix designated the drive size (R=3/4, A=1/2, T=3/8, and V=1/4). In fact, they followed this same prefix code for all of the sockets and drive accessories.
Here's my complete collection along with a triple play glamour shot.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:15:07 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:45:41 AM »
Sockets and the Loc-Rite broaching.

These pictures clearly show the rounded profile of the Loc-Rite broaching in Bonney sockets. About the only complaint I have with these tools is the broaching doesn't go down the whole length of the deep sockets - they broached only the ends.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 07:23:18 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
Flare wrenches.

The Cam-Loc ratcheting flares design spun off into forged DFE wrenches, and the results were fabulous! Though the older normal 12 point flare wrenches were pretty good, too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:37:21 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »
Cam-Loc ratcheting flare wrenches.
In 1951 a gentleman by the name of Kavalar patented a design of moveable rollers held in relative position by a long coil spring, which would however permit some backwards movement. This created a sort of ratcheting action that was incorporated into a line of flare wrenches for automotive brakes and hydraulic system. A fore runner of Loc-Rite, it moved the contact away form the corners and onto the flats, thereby reducing rounding and slippage. very useful in pressurized systems. Eventually they moved on to HVAC, as soft brass flared fitting were routinely subjected to over torquing, damage, and distortion. In 1964 this round pin design was forged into alloy steel and became Loc-Rite, which became a Bonney anchor point from 1967 on.

Original patent: http://www.datamp.org/patents/advance.php?pn=2550010&id=40669&set=1

They were made in single and double ended varieties. Here's my set of DFE's.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:34:08 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
Specialty wrenches.

Utica (a Bonney subsidiary from the late 50's) produced alot of tools designed for the aerospace industry. Of course those long thin enhanced broaching wrenches found use on modern cars. They also had this extended box end profile which facilitated reaching recessed fasteners like on jet engines. I've managed to get a set of three in sizes I use. In some situations they'll save your bacon for sure!
I never really used angle wrenches until I found the Bonney version - and then only because it was a "Bonney". Now I can't imagine working without them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:01:41 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
Here's some of the single Cam-Loc flare wrenches, when space is a concern.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »
And though the Cam-Loc design is quite complex, it's possible to repair them if a pin snaps or the spring breaks. Not easily, but possible. At least on the bigger sizes. The one I repaired was a 7/8", and it had some tight spaces. I doubt much smaller ones could readily be fixed. But you might give it a try, since the moveable roller design of the Cam-Loc's is NLA. Even the Chinese - who duplicate every "out of date patent" for profit - haven't touched the Cam-Loc mechanism.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:40:04 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
Bonney offered two "grades" if you will of finish on their wrenches - full polish and satin. While the full polish looks great and cleans easily when greasy the satin wrenches provide a little more grip.
In SAE up to 3/4" I have both sets. Since most people are familiar with the shine of the full polish I'll post my satin combos for all you non-glare lovers. This particular set was assembled from several sources. I got a lead on Bonney wrenches being used in the oil industry, and managed to hook up with a company in the midwest which was a warehouse for the oil fields. I asked if he had these wrenches, and he said he had two. He then offered to call his other 3 locations and see if they had any. Between the 4 locations they had the entire set! He said he would have those satellite shops ship the wrenches to him (inter-company transfer, so, for free) and then ship the full set to me. IIRC he also sent me a trio of 20 inch 1/2' extensions, too.
You gotta jump on the horse while you can! lol

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »
One of the more obscure Bonney tools are the little square to square adapters they offered as part of the refrigeration line. they allowed a tech to use sockets with a female drive reefer wrench. They were typically 3/8" square to 1/4" square, with detent balls in both ends. You could use 1/4" drive sockets in a 3/8" female drive wrench, or 3/8" drive sockets in the more common 1/4" drive female drive. The waterwheel action of the reefer wrench gave you a ratchet action....and you didn't have to carry a regular ratchet or climb down the ladder to get one. Not a big thing, but a nice little thought.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
A little mod that I was unaware of until a forum member told me about it. (Can't remember who he is. If you read this bud, let me know and I'll give you a shout out!) One could take a 1/4" Bonney ratchet and swap out the gear with a 3/8" torque wrench assembly. The TW drive gear was way smaller than the standard 3/8" ratchet gear, and it fits perfectly into the V-702K body. Gives one the ability to have a 3/8" gear in a 1/4" drive body....in Bonney! Not many folks can say that!

He was kind enough to give me one of his extra TW gears, and I slapped it into a spare 1/4"er I had. Haven't used it yet, but so what?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:58:47 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
I don't get into vintage Bonney much. My interest is in Triangle Tool era tools. 1967 on. Not that the old tools aren't good - I just prefer the Loc-Rite stuff.
But there are a few older Bonney's I like. They made some DBE's with a single offset, both box ends the same size. And the 707 Sweetheart ratchet (I call it that because of the heart-shaped bump on the body) is one smooth operator. I had a 1/2" drive, but just found out today it came in 3/8" as well. Will probably have to start looking for that.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
Here's my 3/8" drive accessories and ratchets from another post. Figured they should be posted with some other Bonney's.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:20:50 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »
Several people have asked how I got into Bonney. Here is that story:

When I graduated from high school one of my first real jobs was working at an automotive air conditioning shop (prophetic or not I don't know). Anyway I needed a starter tool set and one of the truck dealers came by who sold S-K as one of his brands.
Being my dad was a big S-K fan, I grabbed my first 3/8" socket set. I told the guy I also needed some wrenches, but couldn't afford Snap-On. He said he carried a line that was just as good as S-O but less expensive. I bought my first two vinyl-pouch sets of Bonney combos that day (1980). One SAE, one metric. Still have those tools. None have stripped out, broken, spread, or peeled the chrome. When I got started in HVAC the SAE's wrenches were in my tool bucket. Even today I'm still blown away by the toughness and durability of Bonney's steel.
I was into cycling in those days, and would carry my bike to the trails in my Toyota. I fabbed a bike carrier that bolted into the bed of the truck, and it had two cross beams that you could attach the bike forks into if you removed the front tire. Needed a wrench for that, so I carried my Bonney 13 mm combo. On one of those trips it was lost, and some time after I figured I should probably find a replacement to fill the hole. It was then (circa 2005) that I found out Bonney had gone under over a decade earlier. And my search began to find that one wrench. Along that journey I learned all about Loc-Rite, Bonney's different wrench styles, etc. After finding the one combo I just keep going. The rest is history.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:22:52 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 10:31:20 AM »
Here's my full polish DBE SAE set, missing a few of the larger combinations. I got the largest one (3/4 x 7/8) just for the 3/4" end as my gear puller at the time needed a 3/4" on the drive nut.

The DBE's to me are the real power behind Bonney. Sockets are a wear item in my book. In spite of all my care and best efforts, with use all my Bonney sockets will eventually wear out - it's just the nature of the beast. Combo wrenches are nice, but I don't use open ends all that much - and hardly at all for high torque jobs. So I've gravitated to angle wrenches for open end jobs, and long and short style DBE's for everything else.
Another nice thing is Bonney did overlapping steps with their SAE wrenches. For instance, they made a 1/2x9/16 as well as a slightly longer and thicker 9/16x5/8. I like to have both, as sometimes you need that little extra length for added torque on the smaller size. Gives one more options.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:45:24 AM by bonneyman »