Author Topic: Transmission woes  (Read 15798 times)

Online slip knot

Transmission woes
« on: December 31, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »
The 98 Dodge ram farm truck is not shifting right. 1st to 2nd is ok but wont shift to 3rd until you shift to neutral and then back to drive. it'll go in 3rd then straight to OD. The 47RE is an electronic shift so I was hoping to get lucky with replacing the electric relays in the valve body. Dropped the pan this weekend and found some band material in the pan. Several pieces 2-3 inches long. Relays didn't help much, it'll stay in 3rd now but its slipping a bit.

Watched a few Utube videos and a rebuild seems easy enough. but I got to find a reliable company to get a kit and torque convertor from. Anyone have any good recommendations?? or bad ones????

I've got a book coming from ATSG that is supposed to be a good reference. any other ideas for refrences. I'm a little leery of the valve body. haven't seen a really good video on valve body rebuilds.

Offline muddy

Re: Transmission woes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 07:14:11 PM »
There's so many reliable companies offering kits out there. Just remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

BD makes kits, convertors , and valve body for all varied hp ratings.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Online slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »
Got a rebuild kit, shift kit and torque convertor on order.. <$800 so I'm happy. The local rebuilder was talking $1500-2000.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 12:16:01 AM »
So you gunna tackle the build yourself?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Online slip knot

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:54:25 AM »
Yeah it doesn’t seem too complicated    ::) Famous last words

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
Dooooh, lets just hope you don`t yell this out.
Good luck.

Online slip knot

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 09:56:39 PM »
This is the same transmission that was put behind the cummins so they are a lot of rebuild videos on you tube. The biggest problem is knowing what needs to be upgraded over OEM and what is ok. That's why I got the shift kit, its supposed to correct a lot of the "weak links" in the tranny.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
If you haven't already. Get the deep oil pan. The coolers on the Dodges are more the adequate, however it's the amount of oil the stock pan holds just isn't enough.

Online slip knot

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 08:54:41 PM »
So yesterday I pulled the transmission out

Online slip knot

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 08:58:25 PM »
today, I broke it all down and started cleaning it up. The idea is to pull it apart in components and rebuild the components. Then put it all back together. I got it all apart, cleaned the case up and rebuilt the pump.

Online slip knot

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
The transmission comes apart in sub assemblies. not too complicated if you take lots of pictures and keep it in order. the intermediate band went out and took the direct clutch drum with it so more parts are on order.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »
Good work there my friend, and best of luck with the re-install.

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 05:36:44 AM »
Never been very far into a auto trans. Doing it in assys looks like a good idea. Pics of it as it comes apart is also the way to go. Nice job

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
You are a brave man, doubt I would try that on my own. 

Also, where did the empty horizontal space come from.  Haven't seen any in my shop in years :))

Online slip knot

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 04:57:13 PM »
you did notice I did the tear down on the floor ;D

clean space is hard to find here too.

Online slip knot

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 07:46:03 PM »
This thing has an 800lb spring in the OD unit that has to be dealt with. I spent last night making a jig t o pull it apart without getting maimed. … It actually worked fairly well. pics of the jig and monster spring

Online slip knot

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 07:49:04 PM »
got the OD unit apart, cleaned up and back together. pic of the spring going back in and the new steels and clutches

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 09:30:10 PM »
Great solution to avoid damage from the spring.
The wife may ask why I keep a bunch of junk crap handy stuff around and that is the reason why. Beats running to town right in the middle of a job.

Online slip knot

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
put the gear train together today and theres no endplay. >:(  somethings wrong in the assembly. >:( back apart with it tomorrow.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
bummer. But at least you caught it before you put it all together and got it installed.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 06:48:30 AM »
Great spring compressor, sucks on the assembly issue.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 07:30:40 AM »
put the gear train together today and theres no endplay. >:(  somethings wrong in the assembly. >:( back apart with it tomorrow.

Often the steels (mostly the thick one on top) come in different thicknesses in order to get the correct endplay. Great work, hang in there!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:32:28 AM by goodfellow »

Online slip knot

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:22 PM »
Making some progress today. Found a slipped thrust washer had caused my binding issue. Got that corrected and it has some endplay now  :dance: Went thru the valve body and installed the transfix kit. This took some times to get everything cleaned up without mixing anything up. Called it aa day after getting the valve body installed. Still need to adjust the bands then put the OD tail piece on it. I have been putting off assembling the tail piece to the case Till I can set it on the floor. the ODunit adds a ton of weight to the unit.

Online slip knot

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 07:27:05 PM »
And its done.  now all I gotta do is install it.

Online slip knot

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 07:30:17 PM »
They really cheaped out on the installation tools they sent with the shift kit. it did drill the separator plate before it bent :021:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:18 PM »
They really cheaped out on the installation tools they sent with the shift kit. it did drill the separator plate before it bent :021:

At least it didn't untwist on you.

Online slip knot

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 09:47:27 PM »
Got it stabbed and bolted up to the block. That's enough for tonight.

Online slip knot

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
 :08:   :clap:  Took it for a spin tonight. :steeringwheel: no leaks, a bit jerky at first but it smoothed out after a few shifts. will drive it a bit more tomorrow and recheck everything. So far I'm pretty pleased. :08:

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »
Nice work mate....knock on wood.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 08:47:36 PM »
Great work -- that is a job well done! Congrats --

Offline muddy

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2020, 08:49:53 PM »
Nice work!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 11:52:22 PM »
Great that you did it yourself. I wouldn't do it myself. :bravo_2:

Online slip knot

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 02:22:52 PM »
Put about 20-30 miles on it this weekend and the only complaint is that it may be going into lockup a little too soon. @45mph it feels like its lugging a bit. Turn the OD switch off and it smooths right out. on the hiway lock up and OD seems right. The OD and lockup relays were replaced just prior to the rebuild.

May need to upgrade my scanner to look at what the trans is doing.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
Careful, you might become a scannerkid™

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 04:39:25 PM »
Nice work! I don't know if I have the stones (or interest)anymore to rebuild an auto. A standard, sure. But I like driving a stick.

Whatever happened to the guy who liked doing this around here? Was from Phoenix...

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 09:02:41 AM »
Good job and great write up.  :08:

How has it been running?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:03:28 PM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Online slip knot

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »
I've put @200 miles on it and it seems to be good. I keep getting a transtemp CEL but it just flashes on then off. I've checked the temp several times and the most I've seen was 175 at the pan. checked all connections and everything seems tight on the outside. Will be pulling the pan around 1000 miles to see what it looks like. may be swapping the temp sensor out again.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
Update?

Online slip knot

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
Still moving. :hee20hee20hee:

I've got @2K miles on it. pulled the pan @800 miles and swapped out the temp unit. Still getting an occasional high temp CEL but it clears almost as soon as it sets. The pan was spotless. no metal, no dust, nothing. :dance:. I got a slight drip out the tailshaft seal. I put a new bushing in during the rebuild and replaced the seal a month or so back. and it still drips :021: I "think" i may be overfilling it. I noticed the dipstick wasn't all the way down on the trans case the other day. I'm thinking it may be overfilled and causing the rear seal to drip.

Maybe not 100% on the rebuild but I'm happy with it so far. I wouldn't hesitate to tear into another one.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »
Congrats, nothing like a win first time out of the gate :bravo_2:

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
Isn't that was dining room tables are for?

Seriously, did you run into any needs for specialized tools?

Online slip knot

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2020, 10:31:33 PM »
Isn't that was dining room tables are for?

Seriously, did you run into any needs for specialized tools?

I had to make a press plate to squeeze the OD clutch pack. it had a 600lb spring in it that had to be corralled I think there are pics of it in the thread. I bought a bushing driver kit but could have gotten by without it. 

Online slip knot

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
We had a setback this morning. Lately I've noticed that the drive engagement was a bit slow. Park to reverse is strong and solid but park to drive is a bit slow, just kinda eases into motion. once engaged its locked up good tho, no slippage. Until this morning.

went into reverse fine but just never did engage in drive. none of the forward gears seem to engage correctly. I think something in the linkage is messed up. gear shift feels a bit wonky. or it could be something sticking in the valve body. I'll check it out this weekend, hopefully its something simple.

Offline muddy

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 09:27:09 PM »
We had a setback this morning. Lately I've noticed that the drive engagement was a bit slow. Park to reverse is strong and solid but park to drive is a bit slow, just kinda eases into motion. once engaged its locked up good tho, no slippage. Until this morning.

went into reverse fine but just never did engage in drive. none of the forward gears seem to engage correctly. I think something in the linkage is messed up. gear shift feels a bit wonky. or it could be something sticking in the valve body. I'll check it out this weekend, hopefully its something simple.
No es bueno

Online slip knot

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2020, 07:14:33 PM »
Checked all the linkages and kickdown cables, they're ok. Checked pressure at the various ports and found the front servo has 0 pressure should be 145psi+ in reverse. So I gotta do some research and see what controls that pressure point. The rear servo and accumulator are right on the money pressure wise so I think I can pin it down to a valve body issue. Rebuilt valve bodies ae available for $400+ but wheres the fun in that. :017:

Online slip knot

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »
Well it wasn't the valve body after all. The rear oil pump bushing came out and wiped the seal rings. no pressure, no clutch engagement.

Pulled the rest of the trans apart and it all looks fine otherwise. Now I got to figure out why that bushing came out. There is a bit more endplay than I remembered in it so the shaft may have walked it out. Got a set of bushings and a set of thrust washers on order. May have to replace the pump stator but I want to see how the bushing fits before I condemn a perfectly good part.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
Glad you ;got it sorted out

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »
Well it wasn't the valve body after all. The rear oil pump bushing came out and wiped the seal rings. no pressure, no clutch engagement.

Pulled the rest of the trans apart and it all looks fine otherwise. Now I got to figure out why that bushing came out. There is a bit more endplay than I remembered in it so the shaft may have walked it out. Got a set of bushings and a set of thrust washers on order. May have to replace the pump stator but I want to see how the bushing fits before I condemn a perfectly good part.

Good call on the stator. If the inside mating surface is worn then it can effect endplay. Also might want to measure how far in the torque converter engages the pump dogs. Often times the converter barely engages the pump and effects bushing performance and wear.