TOOLS AND THE SHOP > COMPRESSORS/AIR TOOLS/LINES FILTERS & MISC.

Air compressor advice.

<< < (3/3)

petter4:
My old 20 gallon sears compressor just made a loud humming noise...???? I just cleaned it and adjusted belt a month ago... Tested caps they were in spec removed belt motor spins fine and runs fine.. The damn belt pully the small one on motor moved into the motor causing it to bind the motor... The set screw a newer one was tight... Readjusted the belt and it runs quiet and smooth....  Why did the belt move the pully into motor??  Can I use lock tight on pully and set screw??  The set screw was tight??  befuddled... Took longer to get compressor tested and running then the car repair I had..Forced to hand tool it..grrr…  ANy advice appreciated....

Heiny57:

--- Quote from: slip knot on February 08, 2020, 09:07:40 AM ---Lemme guess, the cord was some import junk :D :D

--- End quote ---

:)) :)) :))

DeadNutz:

--- Quote from: petter4 on March 02, 2020, 03:44:54 PM ---My old 20 gallon sears compressor just made a loud humming noise...???? I just cleaned it and adjusted belt a month ago... Tested caps they were in spec removed belt motor spins fine and runs fine.. The damn belt pully the small one on motor moved into the motor causing it to bind the motor... The set screw a newer one was tight... Readjusted the belt and it runs quiet and smooth....  Why did the belt move the pully into motor??  Can I use lock tight on pully and set screw??  The set screw was tight??  befuddled... Took longer to get compressor tested and running then the car repair I had..Forced to hand tool it..grrr…  ANy advice appreciated....

--- End quote ---

I would say that if the set screw was tight to double check that the pulleys are lined up and square to each other. If they aren't square to each other it can put a side load on the pulleys.

Elroy:
If the problem persists, you may want to consider ditching that set screw pulley and utilize a pulley with a taper lock bushing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version