Author Topic: A mystery to me  (Read 3377 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
A mystery to me
« on: April 09, 2020, 04:46:27 AM »
I came across this in my tools and have no idea what it is. I also have no idea where or when I got it but there it was. No markings on it anywhere no name, no part number, nothing. It's about 4" on the main piece and about 3 1/2 on the cross arm. The end with the cross arm hole also has a 1/4 - 20 threaded hole in the end but only to the level of the cross holes. A most odd item to my mind.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

Re: A mystery to me
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
Given it is you Jafe, my first thought was it is not from this planet, but when you said 1/4 20 threads, I ruled that out because we all know that extraterrestrials use the metric system :))

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:59:16 PM »
We prefer SAE.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »
File that under X.....

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:41:58 PM »
Maybe it is some kind of extraction tool a tool and die guy made. The cross bar could be a punch.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 12:46:59 AM »
Could be but the head of the cross bar does not show hammer marks. Maybe it used with a deadblow though?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »
Some type of recessed screw puller? You thread it on and pull it out with the crossbar for grip.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »
Some type of recessed screw puller? You thread it on and pull it out with the crossbar for grip.
That was my thought at first ( limethe valve puller for old Benjamin and Sheridan airguns  ) but why would the cross bar hole be on that same end ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 01:07:09 PM »
Something about this speaks to me of an aircraft tool and working with aluminum. The tapered end as a hole alignment tool (not a punch). We'll have to figure out why the end with threads is slightly recessed. That would have a purpose.

I'll presume it to be made for aligning a hole, and pulling through a 1/4" bolt with a serrated shoulder and wide head that could be used in a blind spot where (once assembled) there would be no room for a wrench on the back side, thus a captive bolt.

Then again....I'm only oldnslo, what do I know.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
That makes a great deal of sense thank you. I could see using it in just such a way.