Author Topic: Leaf spring bushings for a boat trailer  (Read 6648 times)

Offline m_fumich

Leaf spring bushings for a boat trailer
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:52:43 PM »
I bought a DIY converted boat trailer. It needs leaf spring bushings but I’ll get to that in a minute.

It’s been converted into a 6x13 with 4’ sides. The sides are framed in 1” square tubing and covered in expanded steel. Five of the 6 existing floor braces are 1.5” square tubing. That’s getting reinforced with 2” angle iron this weekend. The trailer worked for what it was converted to do, haul leaves. That first rib is 1x2 channel and it’s plenty stiff. The next 5 are the ones getting reinforced and another will be added in that void at the back. The end wasn’t properly capped off. The guy used a piece of 1.5”x4” aluminum channel. It was turned on it’s face and the tail end of the flooring was bolted to it. I don’t know how he supported it. Once I busted out the rotted wood and cut through the rest of the wood, it came right out. He had run self tapping screws through the boards into each of the support ribs to keep them from sliding. I won’t be doing that. I’ll post pictures of the work in progress and when it’s finished.

Now for the bushings. There ain’t any. There was at one time but not now. Since this is a simple single axel boat trailer at heart, I assume the bushings are pretty standard. The thing is, I don’t know what’s standard for a boat trailer. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Leaf spring bushings for a boat trailer
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 08:08:49 PM »
Pretty sure 1 they are standard, measure ID of the spring I, and OD of the shackle or bolts, no picture of the leaf .

Make sense, northern tool carries a lot of trailer parts, tractor supply also. Stay away from boat stores, automatic 60% price hike. Cause the tailer starts with the word boat .

If that fails just search the ID and OD measurements and add the word bushing some thing will pop up. 
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 08:14:05 PM »
I know this doesn’t show the spring I very well. I’ll get a better picture tomorrow. As you can see, no bushing. I’ll pull the bolt and measure the I.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:48:39 AM »
Remove the bushing, then measure and order. Easy peasy! :93:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:58:42 AM »
Make some out of wood, iron pipe, and fender washers.  Grease them up and it should work OK.  For a while.  Your not going to be hauling a skid steer or bulldozer on that anyway.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:01:19 AM by RustFarmer »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
This will get you started

https://www.truckspring.com/suspension-parts/leaf-springs/bushings.aspx

C measurement  spring mount width , upside down U bracket welded on the          trailer .

D OD of bolt

A ID of the inside of the eye

You can find a bushing to fit, from rubber to poly

Pictured is the style you are looking for

Pep
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:07:44 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »
This will get you started

You can find a bushing to fit, from rubber to poly

Pictured is the style you are looking for

Pep

I can’t seem to find the right fit. The dimensions on my bushing are:

A-Diameter    1 1/16
B-Lenght         1 3/4
C-Length         1 13/16
D-Diameter    9/16

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
If you draw a complete blank from what is suggested above could you use something like this ?

https://www.nolathane.com.au/catsize_search.php

I know this is an Australian company , but there should be someone doing similar stuff in the US. Because you may not get a Bush with small enough ID , a steel Bush on your 9/16 bolt could be necessary to match the bigger ID of the nolathane type Bush .

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 06:47:15 PM »
If you draw a complete blank from what is suggested above could you use something like this ?

https://www.nolathane.com.au/catsize_search.php

I know this is an Australian company , but there should be someone doing similar stuff in the US. Because you may not get a Bush with small enough ID , a steel Bush on your 9/16 bolt could be necessary to match the bigger ID of the nolathane type Bush .

Thanks. I started with the OD. Once it produced a list with an OD around 27mm, I searched the list to find something with a length cluster to 46 or 47 mm. There were none. 43mm was the largest and that’s not big enough.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 08:05:02 PM »
Or could it work to use the tapered type and put one in from both sides of the spring eye .....

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 12:48:33 AM »
Or could it work to use the tapered type and put one in from both sides of the spring eye .....

This is the kind of spring I have. That would only work on one end.

Offline m_fumich

Leaf spring bushings for a boat trailer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 01:07:11 AM »
I think the bushing I took out was nylon with a metal tube in the center. I found an all nylon bushing in the exact size I need at easternmarine.com for under $2 each. Shipping was almost $10 for 4 bushings but I can live with that.

Thanks guys

I’m still looking for the nylon and metal type.