Author Topic: Good vid on the problems caused by cheap/counterfeit parts -  (Read 4327 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Ivan from Pine Hollow Automotive Diagnostics (PHAD) had a great video about possible counterfeit NGK plugs causing coils to wear out and possibly damaging the CAT. This is a HUGE problem -- I've seem this before. Not only in my own cars, but friends have experienced similar problems when purchasing supposedly "Name Brand" automotive products from shady sources on Amazon and ebay. The last go-round I had was with fake AC/Delco relays that were a real hazard.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:44:11 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

Re: Good vid on the problems caused by cheap/counterfeit parts -
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
While we don't see the failures or counterfeiting of parts. We do buy from an aftermarket parts company called Total Source or TVH.

Some of their parts are just fine and almost identical. As a matter of fact we've gotten OEM part that had TVH labels on under the OEM label.

However it seems that they don't have full rights or something. The part may look right at first. Them you go to install it or look at it close. And something is just a miss. Tolerance is wrong, a bolt hole in the wrong spot, etc. Often to the point we with had to modify the "new" part or order an OEM.

Yes they parts are often half the price but at what cost....

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:44:40 AM »
I like and follow Ivan on Y-tube. He has done some great videos about 'no parts required' repairs.

I have used Amazon for common wear items - wipers, air filters; but I've had trouble with reman brake calipers not sealing at the banjo hose interface due to crappy sealing. They did make good on it, they have really good customer support. However, that has convinced me to use Rock Auto for brake parts.

This was a great video. Thanks.  :coffee2:
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:09:22 PM »
Don`t be too keen on rock auto I`ve got some mighty shitty parts from them.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
Great video.  I had not watched any of his before.

I do like his simple diagnostic routine and thoroughness on the repair. 

After all, once you've worked on a customer vehicle you are now married to it.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline vssjim

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »
Don`t be too keen on rock auto I`ve got some mighty shitty parts from them.
What I do like about RockAuto is being able to pick the brand you want because even with having six suppliers at work they don't always have a brand I like for friends and family cars that can wait on shipping.