Author Topic: A Small Shadow Box Project  (Read 7701 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
A Small Shadow Box Project
« on: August 10, 2020, 02:15:50 AM »
I had this display box from my mother and it was sort of kicking around and I didn't know if I wanted to keep it or what to do with it. I have a small collection of pins that seemed to accumulate over the years so I decided to put the pins in the box and solve two problems. The box had an eggshell grid which was glued in and I was going to cut black suede board for each division and in fact I did cut the pieces and they fit nicely but I just wasn't happy with the look.

The black pieces were appealing because I could mount the pins with the clasp on the back and the fit was tight enough it would just stay in place and was quick and easy.

But the grid imposed a lot of restrictions and I really didn't like the look.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: A Small Shadow Box Project
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:20:41 AM »
The spaces in the grid were mostly small and the pins just looked crowded. Plus the box had seen better days and the finish was a bit worn. So I decided to remove the grid and have a large space and while it was apart I'd freshen up the finish. The glass was held in with small retainer strips (green arrows) so I thought it would be easy to remove. Unfortunately not as easy as I had anticipated.

The grid came out without too much trouble at least.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 02:27:23 AM »
When removing the glass I discovered somewhere along the way it got glued into place in spots and it cracked (yellow oval). I'm not really surprised it was 1.9mm glass which IMO is too thin for a project like this. It's light so doesn't stress the hinges too much but it breaks easy.

No problem on the glass there is a way to fix it.

Since the little sections weren't being used I then had to consider the pin posts. I can't use the backs but the substrate has to be deep enough to accommodate the full depth. I decided to use foam board as the base. I needed two layers to fully engage the pin posts (red arrows and red circle) so I cut three layers and some strips to make the sides of the box interior.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 02:31:12 AM »
The cut foam board parts and what will become the top layer with a rectangle marked out - that will become a decorative detail just to add some interest.

I cut the window out using a bevel cut partly because it looks nicer and partly because it makes the next step easier.

I did make a witness mark between the dropout and the window surround as I needed to keep the orientation.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 02:37:03 AM »
I cut the dropout close enough I really didn't need the orientation but it is good practice. I glued the three layers together and then covered the board in adhesive. It is best to use a fabric glue made specifically for this purpose but I didn't have any and what I did have is close and it's getting old so I needed to use it anyway. it's also best to use a foam roller but again I didn't have one so a cheap brush was called into service.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 02:45:35 AM »
I used a PVA glue (polyvinyl adhesive) that is sold as an archival product by a company called Lineco which is a brand of University Products. They make all kinds of stuff for the bookbinding and museum industries all or most of which are considered acrhival. The bottle is sitting on a marble slab I used in a couple places in the project.

This is why I kept the dropout and the orientation - I used it to make the impression in the fabric. I spread the glue and placed the fabric - black felt in this case - over the boards, placed the dropout back in and weighted it down with the marble to dry.

The last pic shows how the mat came out after drying but for some reason looks gray it is black.

I was going to use black velvet and went to the fabric store but the black velvet they had wouldn't work well on this - it was synthetic and they don't have much stretch. A natural fabric usually has a bit of stretch so you can get an effect like this.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 02:51:01 AM »
So while I was working on this it was time to address the hangars. Flimsy little things and while box is light I just like it secure. So I removed what was there and replaced it with something a little better. The box is hung with two hangars - no wire so it will never need to be straightened. I used some thread locker on the the nuts since getting to them later would be problematic. The hardware pokes through the back a little so I put the foam board back in, pressed to mark the positions and cutout a layer of the foamboard so the foamboard could lay flat.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:52:56 AM »
I mentioned the thread locker and part of the reason is the nuts are not really tight the hooks can rotate in case my placement of the hooks wasn't perfect.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 02:56:42 AM »
I covered the sides with the black felt as well, cut them to length and glued them in. I cut one end of each side with a bevel to tuck neatly against it's neighbor. That means I didn't have to be super precise in cutting the length and no gaps in the corners.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 03:17:00 AM »
Now to repair the glass. I cut new. I wanted to go with 4mm but no one around here sells it anymore. Between my local ACE, HomeDepot and Lowes only Lowes sell glass and they sell only 2.2mm. Everyone blames liability but my bet is they got tired of people breaking glass in the store and clerks cutting it wrong. I just bought the closest size lite to what I needed and cut it myself.

Most people don't like cutting glass but IME that's because they don't use the proper methods. For one the glass must be clean before you cut it. Cheap glass comes with some kind of silicon beads between the lites (premium gass uses paper between lites). That's so they can be separated - float glass is so flat two lites will stick together. The beads and dirt can make it difficult to cut. Really it's not cutting it's scoring and snapping and the score has to be consistent from start to finish. A good cutter is also a must. I have old cutters that have cut a lot of glass but one bad cut can ruin a cutter. Never go over a cut even if it's only a tiny amount. That cold make a bad spot on the cutter wheel. Press hard. Not hard enough to break the glass but almost. Have a stable straight edge to use as a guide. I didn't have a good straight edge handy so I used a yard stick taped to the glass so it wouldn't move. Start the cut at the edge and in one motion make the entire score to the other edge. Do not stop. The sound should be consistent all the way and the mark should be a solid line with a consistent look. Use the ball end of the cutter to tap along the score line - that is what the ball is for. Tap immediately after scoring. It is common lore that the cuts can heal and if you wait the the break may not go straight and could ruin the cut. I never tried it so I can't say of it's true or not - there's enough to go wrong without my looking for more. Lube the cutter wheel every time. Pros use kerosene I didn't have any so I used Stoddard solvent in the form of WD40. In fact pros keep the cutters in a container of kerosene with something soft at the bottom so the wheels don't get nicked. I used cut running pliers to break the scores there is one ridge in the center of bottom jaw and two ridges on the top jaw one at each side. The pliers in essence bend the glass along the score and it breaks at the weak point.

But the end result was a rplacement lite of glass.

At some point in this project I gave the outside of the box a coat of amber shellac. That brightened it up a lot.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 03:19:58 AM »
This is the tool I used to set the nails in the glass retaining strips.

I just used tiny little brads and the tool set them in short order. I did predrill the holes. When going into this wood where I'm worried about splits I drill a pilot with a brad with the head cut off. Works with nails too. The advantage is the hole is tight enough the brad will grip but open enough to be safe to drive the fastener.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 03:26:55 AM »
And that brings it all to a close.

The paratroopers wings for the sharp eyed are not mine. They belonged to my father who was a marine when he got them. After his stint in the MC he became an officer in the air force. He was a bad ass and I mean that in awe.

The pins starting to populate the box. I thought I had a lot but now I can see I have to get a few more to fill in the blank spaces.

The box hung in it's new home.

As Porky Pig says That's all Folks!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 06:24:11 AM »
Quite intricate and delicate work. Well done Steve, it looks great.

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 07:04:25 AM »
At first thought it was sorta okay, then got caught on the attention to detail.  Lot of work but really good end product.  Too often our collection of (smalls) hide in drawers forever.   Good one.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 07:12:23 AM »
A lot of trouble along the way, but a very good end result. :bravo_2:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 08:40:25 AM »
Very nice work and looks great. Thanks also for all the tips included in the post as they will help if I have to cut glass.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 09:45:48 AM »
Thanks guys!

DN - cutting glass can seem like a fussy way to waste a lot of glass but if you use good practice you can get predictable results. I was talking with a friend and we had a discussion about glass cutting earlier in the day before I wrote that so I guess it was on my mind.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
 Very nice.  A bit of family history in a classy display.

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 11:52:24 AM »
Lotta work, but a great job, and makes a very nice display.
I don't have the patience to do all that these days.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »
Very nice finished project. You have honored him well.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Was this little project a warm up before the space patches?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
I guess it was a warm up for the patches.

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »
Great job. I see a paratrooper pin, any pins have extra significant sentimental value?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »
Very nice job Jaffa. Now I know where to send all my random pin finds.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 11:25:52 PM »
Muddy the only one that has meaning is the wings. The rest are just stuff.

The thing that scares me Jabber is I know you will follow through your threat.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54:08 PM »
Very nice work.
It reminds me that I need a shadow box for my grandfather's 4th AD unit patch and memorabilia and the rest of the things from his deployment to Europe during the war.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 12:59:37 AM »
You should do it and post some pix when you're done. It's a nice way to honor him, his service and keep it all together.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »
Be afraid.... be very afraid.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »
I am.

Offline john k

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2020, 11:02:05 PM »
I remember reading about training a small group of US Marines in parachuting early in WW II.  It was discontinued for a number of reasons,  very likely your father was one of that small group?   I was taught glass cutting by an uncle long ago, (Thanks Riley), have cut down a lot of window glass, and broken some. A necessary thing when living in a house whose windows are no longer considered a standard size.   Something I do while cutting is to do it on the flattest surface available.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 11:04:54 PM »
I have this pin that I got from McDonnell Douglas but it is a little big at 3-1/2"diameter and it has a clip on the back. I know you like space stuff so just say the word and it is yours.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 05:32:07 AM »
I remember reading about training a small group of US Marines in parachuting early in WW II.  It was discontinued for a number of reasons,  very likely your father was one of that small group?   I was taught glass cutting by an uncle long ago, (Thanks Riley), have cut down a lot of window glass, and broken some. A necessary thing when living in a house whose windows are no longer considered a standard size.   Something I do while cutting is to do it on the flattest surface available.

My father was too young in WWII to be a Marine. He did serve some time in Korea though as a Marine. By the time I came along he was an officer in the Air Force and the family moved around mostly in Europe.

Glass cutting always leaves a bit of drama. I suppose it's one of the things that adds some excitement to the process.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 05:34:00 AM »
I have this pin that I got from McDonnell Douglas but it is a little big at 3-1/2"diameter and it has a clip on the back. I know you like space stuff so just say the word and it is yours.

That is an awesome offer, thank you! An out of this world offer in fact. Plenty of room in there if you really could part with such a treasure.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »
You got it. Please PM me your new address in our state.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
Sending....

Thank you.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 10:21:09 AM »
An update.

DeadNutz sent the pin - thank you very much DN! It is appreciated.

I installed it in the box and it looks great.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
Wow, that looks great in there. It acts as a centerpiece to attract your attention to all the pins.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »
That is cool and nice touch DN. I don’t have the intricate craftsman skills for that.  :38:
MAGA

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2020, 02:47:43 PM »
It it is the center piece. And it fits in the recess perfectly.  I think it's a really cool piece of history.

Heiny don't sell yourself short anyone can do PDR has both patience and good eye/hand coordination.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
 :)) :)) :))     Don’t look to close at my handy work.
MAGA

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
I can move metal around a bit with a hammer but never learned PDR. Like to try it sometime.