Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 218227 times)

Offline four.cycle

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #420 on: October 30, 2018, 05:16:31 PM »
Cruiser808 - I have no clue about vintage on that 1/4" Stevens Walden set. I do know that Walden was advertising them as early as 1944, as can be seen in the 1944 Motor Service magazine ad below. The early sets, however, were (for the most part, as I understand) plain steel finish, and the spinner handle was black and yellow (as can be seen in member d42jeep's examples above.)
Later they were offered in a variety of configurations - with different contents - as can be seen in the later catalog snip below. Unfortunately I do not have any idea what year that catalog was printed, but based on the graphics and font styles and the yellow handle on the spinner, my best wild guess would be 1960s (or possibly 1970s.)
(* Note that the 1944 "Migit" later became "Midget" *)
I have 1/4" Walden sets in that style box (that hinges at the end) in royal blue, red, forest green, and (presumably repainted) black. I may have one or two in that "Pontiac blue" hammertone, but I'm not sure. I know for sure I have 3/8" and 1/2" Walden sets in that color box, but again, I have no idea as to vintage.

Member d42jeep has been collecting Walden far longer than I have, and perhaps he has better insight as to vintage.

On the Williams set, I can offer nothing. I own an empty box similar to that, but I believe mine is from a model 1285. I picked it up because I thought the graphics inside the lid were fabulous. Williams is one brand I have not delved into thus far.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:22:11 PM by four.cycle »

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #421 on: October 30, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
Here's the Penncraft set and the partial set. Mine includes a 3635 yellow-handled spinner handle with a square socket built into the butt end of it so it can be used as an extension:

Nice looking Penncraft sets. This is the first time for me to see this particular spinner handle. Is it really that big? It appears to just barely fit in the set.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #422 on: October 30, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
Hi bmwrd0  -  there are a few box types in between. I’ll post them soon.

Cruiser, if you get time to post these, I am very interested in seeing the time line for the vintage Plomb sets.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #423 on: October 30, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »
Quote from: CRTDI
Nice looking Penncraft sets. This is the first time for me to see this particular spinner handle. Is it really that big? It appears to just barely fit in the set.

The spinner is (at least from running searches on Ebay) rather uncommon. Yes, it really is that big and all those pieces just barely fit into that tiny box - they have to be arranged just so in order to get the lid to close.

Ebay seller bruceb440 has a partial Penncraft set listed right now containing only a ratchet and a few sockets. If you added those oddballs I have now, you'd still be shy the 1/4" and 5/16" sockets, though. Pretty difficult to find single pieces for those sets, which is why that second one I have is still incomplete - Ebay sellers think the stuff is solid platinum.

Speaking of barely being able to fit, I have more than one set that's somewhat a challenge to get into the box. Some leave all kinds of extra space, and some of them are like putting a puzzle together.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #424 on: October 30, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »
Cruiser808 - I have no clue about vintage on that 1/4" Stevens Walden set. I do know that Walden was advertising them as early as 1944, as can be seen in the 1944 Motor Service magazine ad below. The early sets, however, were (for the most part, as I understand) plain steel finish, and the spinner handle was black and yellow (as can be seen in member d42jeep's examples above.)
Later they were offered in a variety of configurations - with different contents - as can be seen in the later catalog snip below. Unfortunately I do not have any idea what year that catalog was printed, but based on the graphics and font styles and the yellow handle on the spinner, my best wild guess would be 1960s (or possibly 1970s.)
(* Note that the 1944 "Migit" later became "Midget" *)
I have 1/4" Walden sets in that style box (that hinges at the end) in royal blue, red, forest green, and (presumably repainted) black. I may have one or two in that "Pontiac blue" hammertone, but I'm not sure. I know for sure I have 3/8" and 1/2" Walden sets in that color box, but again, I have no idea as to vintage.

Member d42jeep has been collecting Walden far longer than I have, and perhaps he has better insight as to vintage.

On the Williams set, I can offer nothing. I own an empty box similar to that, but I believe mine is from a model 1285. I picked it up because I thought the graphics inside the lid were fabulous. Williams is one brand I have not delved into thus far.
I wish I could be of more help but my primary interest is wartime tools. My best guess on your set would be ‘60s or ‘70s. Most of the postwar sets I see are in red boxes still hinged on the end but I see that four.cycle has several colors. Here is the postwar set that we keep in the kitchen closet and a similar ad to four.cycle’s.
In terms of the NAF tools my Navy catalog listing for that set is from ‘45 so I don’t think those are date codes.
-Don

Offline GreyOwl

« Reply #425 on: October 30, 2018, 11:41:20 PM »
Do I need to have the prerequisite 5 posts in order to post pics? I see no option to add pics of my 1/4" Craftsman =v= set.
GreyOwl

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: October 31, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
I don't believe you need five. You should see the following to be able to attach.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #427 on: October 31, 2018, 12:29:22 AM »
one of many Stevens Walden 1/4" drive sets - plated finish:

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #428 on: October 31, 2018, 12:30:55 AM »
another Stevens Walden 1/4" drive set - this one's all six-points! I guess I never paid close attention to that little detail before on these.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #429 on: October 31, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »
a partial Thorsen 1/4" drive set that came in a KAL blow-mold box:

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #430 on: October 31, 2018, 12:36:01 AM »
a not quite complete S-K 1/4" drive set in the original (and very rough) box:

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #431 on: October 31, 2018, 01:21:51 AM »
A Giller 1/4" drive set - I know there's a ratchet around here somewhere for this set - maybe even a u-joint - note the oddball Walden-style box that hinges at the end:

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #432 on: October 31, 2018, 01:22:41 AM »
d42 and cycle, I think you guys got the Stevens Walden market cornered... :-\

Snappy and SK thumb ratchet sets. I like the SK ratchet better than the Snappy. Just has a lot smoother action.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #433 on: October 31, 2018, 01:25:02 AM »
One of many KAL (US) 1/4" drive sets - not quite complete. What do you expect for $9 bucks including shipping? (No big deal - I have a bag full of u-joints and short extensions for these KAL sets.)

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #434 on: October 31, 2018, 01:29:24 AM »
This is the first Proamerica set I acquired. Proamerica is KAL's new name for consumer products. The KAL branded product that is still produced is strictly military/government contract stuff. This one has a couple KAL pieces in it (as well as having come in a KAL box.)
No idea why the plating oxidized so badly on the spinners in this set - none of the pieces look like they've ever been used.   This was a contract-produced set for the military - the NSN number says it's a "small arms repair kit".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:30:59 AM by four.cycle »