Author Topic: Dill tire tools - any good?  (Read 4574 times)

Offline bonneyman

Dill tire tools - any good?
« on: February 10, 2021, 04:58:37 PM »
I passed on a set of 5 driver-handled tools, one was marked "Dill". they certainly looked like schrader valve tools but much larger than the HVAC and bicycle tires I deal with. I came home and looked them up.

Yep, Dill makes large bore tire tools. And they're prices are  :-\. Are they any good? I passed on 'em cause I didn't have a use for them. But could be a barter item.

https://www.dillvalves.com/product_category/off-road/tire-valve-service-tools/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 05:00:23 PM by bonneyman »

Offline oldnslo

Re: Dill tire tools - any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 05:44:05 PM »
I own some big bore valve tools, only because I bought them while tool hounding at the dirt market. Will I ever use them? Nope. I dont own (and wont ever work on) equipment that uses them.

Do you?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 07:42:55 PM »
Not familiar with the brand.   Also not familiar with big bore vavles.  What industries use them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 09:45:36 PM »
Not familiar with the brand.   Also not familiar with big bore vavles.  What industries use them.

I'm thinking trucking - 18 wheelers jobs?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:02:24 PM »
off road heavy equipment, like wheel loaders and scrapers use the big bore stuff.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 10:09:42 PM »
(late edit), ha! I was referencing the big rig reference.

Bigger....think Letourneau and Liebherr. ;)

An oldie vid, just for fun:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pOarjP3XiE

https://www.alltiresupply.com/collections/large-bore-valves

OnS points to a real life example, and buries his arm in the tire tread for reference.

:a102:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:11:42 PM by oldnslo »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:56:30 AM »
I was thinking of mining and quarry equipment but deal with several quarries and never noticed it before.  Plus I have never seen any larger than the ones for ac work and I have had a lot of tools pass through my hands.

Will certainly be looking next time I am in a quarry

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »
I’ve got a Michigan Loader here on the farm that has the larger valve stems , had to get geared up when I had a tire problem to deal with ...... that adapter does the job when I have to put air in a tire with a standard tire chuck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 07:43:32 PM »
Well, I went back and snagged them. Figured if nothing else the handles and the knurled portion (very aggressive grip!) could be repurposed.
From left to right: internal thread chaser, external thread cleaner, core extractor, hex nut holder, and another tool I've not seen but Dill lists it.
What do you think, Midnitemack? Are these useable?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:45:46 PM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 08:02:19 PM »
Pretty cool tools. I don't know anything about heavy equipment tire tools, but I'd have gotten them anyway. Just for the heck of it.

Good snag George!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 08:25:24 PM »
Pretty cool tools. I don't know anything about heavy equipment tire tools, but I'd have gotten them anyway. Just for the heck of it.

Good snag George!

Thanks, Ray! The handles I was thinking of turning into shorty nut drivers, as the shafts and holes in the handle are hex. Haven't measured yet, but they look to be a 1/4".
Those knurled collars have the rods on both ends press fit in, so if I drive them out, I could re-insert any 1/4" hex thing I want.

Though if somebody could use them as is I'd let them go for a few dollars profit.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 01:26:16 AM »
Well, I went back and snagged them. Figured if nothing else the handles and the knurled portion (very aggressive grip!) could be repurposed.
From left to right: internal thread chaser, external thread cleaner, core extractor, hex nut holder, and another tool I've not seen but Dill lists it.
What do you think, Midnitemack? Are these useable?
BM, Yes they would have gone home with me ..... I can’t remember when I last had to use mine , that old loader doesn’t get used as much now as it did 30 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 09:25:05 AM »
those look damn near nos.

before i got too carried away with chopping them up you may want to try and sell them as a set. they may not be worth  a lot bt they may be priceless to someone who needs them.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »
I agree with sk and do a little searching. If you know what a heavy equipment service truck looks like ask the driver is you have a chance. If you know of any HE dealers or tire outfits in your area check them out. You can also check out this forum which pretty well covers everything HE.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 01:18:38 PM »
Good to know. I think the CAT dealer/yard is on the other side of town. Maybe I can plan a side trip to them when I have to go that way on business and drop by with the tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 01:23:32 PM »
Well, took the 5 tools to a local rental shop that sells and services loader, backhoes, bulldozers, etc. Told them about the tools, and was asking $25 for the five of them. The lady took them in the back, and after what seemed like a long time came back and said they'd pay $20. I said, no thanks, they were worth more than that. She went back and retrieved them, and I told her sorry for the trouble, She said, "good luck!"

The new set is $170 for 8 tools - about $20 a tool. I was asking $5 a piece and they wanted to dinker with me.  :38:
For 5 lousy bucks. Just the thought ticked me off. Guess I'll re use them somehow.

It's so typical. when you buy tools they charge you through the nose, but when you sell them, people want to give you peanuts. mechanics in the trade should know better - they know how expensive tools are. Yet they always want to go cheap. It's really sad.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »
I have a thought George before you destroy them. We need to find out from Strik9 if he has a need for them since he is working on the heavy equipment again. If he does I would be willing to send you some money to help cover your cost and shipping to down south. I sure some others would kick in and it would be cheap with a joint effort. I think Brian is worth our effort to do that.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 02:12:01 PM »
Done. I PM'd him. They are his if he can use them. I'd rather give them to an appreciative forum member than sell them away for chump change to some local cheapskate.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
George, you made me laugh.  King of the pawn shop buys, you complain about tradesman trying to go cheap.   :))

For showing up unsolicited, you actually got a decent offer, that is a win in my book whether you decide sell them or not

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 06:50:49 PM »
Try pedaling them to the heavy equipment tire guys. Those rental clowns dont fix tires they call the tire guy just like I do.