TOOLS AND THE SHOP > MECHANIC HAND TOOLS WE USE

US made vice grips.

<< < (2/5) > >>

DeadNutz:
To see a formerly USA made tool come back to life is great. Don't know if I will buy any as I have a pretty good stock of Petersen made vise grips.

john k:
To see how big a deal it is, look up the population of Dewitt, Nebraska.

DeadNutz:

--- Quote from: john k on May 12, 2021, 10:03:21 PM ---To see how big a deal it is, look up the population of Dewitt, Nebraska.

--- End quote ---
I see what you mean John as any number of new jobs is significant with a population of around 500 people.

hickory n Steel:
I've been waiting about 3 years for this.

Btw malco added some good features on their eagle grips over the old petersons.

The only thing Irwin did right was add the hex in the knob so you can release them when they're too tight.
Malco made it larger, and came up with something that's supposed to make them smoother.

I only have 3 pairs of Petersons I'm ashamed to say, but I use the crap out of them and they've never failed me.

Uncle Buck:
This is great to hear! Years ago when the announcement was made that VG was going offshore I hurriedly bought a variety of remaining USA stock from Harry E and set them aside for my son who at the time was a child to have a new set of the good stuff when he came of age and needed tools.

Only 3 days ago did he finally get those and a whole lot of other tools plus a vintage 1960's Cman top box and two drawer mid box to use in his new position  as a lube tech at the Chevy dealer where he has been working in various capacities for over a year. Of course almost all the tools I gave him were USA made, a mix of brands, some Snappy, a few even NOS.

He caught me off guard. Now I have to clear out some room in my shop to cleanup and restore/repaint a fairly large 1960's/70's vintage Remline friction slide old school top box and roll cab.
I told him he could pick the color and would have to put in sweat equity cleaning/ sanding and prepping for paint his box. He will better appreciate what he has to work for.

I was greatly relieved when I asked him what colors he wanted to hear him say he wanted it to look like it did when new. That means it will get Rust-O- leum hammer tone for the boxes, and either red for the drawers, or the closest to the old RL orange used in the day. I am very much looking forward to this project and I am sure he will be shocked how great a carefully prepped and painted vintage box will look when done.

This will be a challenge with this kid, he is 20, and is going to get a lesson in the patience it takes to produce good results in paint finish which only comes through proper prep for topcoat. He is also going  to see the project through and do drawer liners, and adding dividers if needed.

This might be a reason that you will begin seeing a lot more activity from me on the site in coming weeks or months. As big a mess as my shop is this will not happen overnight but will likely take a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version