Author Topic: Creeper Casters Wanted  (Read 3390 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Creeper Casters Wanted
« on: May 26, 2021, 06:03:52 PM »
I know it's a long shot but I need an old fashioned creeper caster preferably the plastic kind. I can buy new metal ones from Whiteside who made the creeper originally but I like the way the plastic ones roll better. I've had this creeper a long time and I do have another but I really like this one and would like to keep it in service.

If you have any I'll buy as many as you want to sell.

Thank you.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Creeper Casters Wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 08:42:43 PM »
Wow -- that brings back memories (in the driveway on concrete and that unique metal caster sound).

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:57:14 PM »
I`ll be hitting a swap soon ill keep an eye out.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:11:38 PM »
Much appreciated Mr Woki.

GF yes they are unique. I think the tilted discs were a clever low profile design.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »
I hated those plastic wheels. They wouldn't last me very long, between the rough concrete surface and always soaking in oil they didn't hold up well for me. The steels were much better for me.

Does anyone make a steel wheel creeper anymore? the last few I've bought have been rubber tires. They dont hold up too well to oil either. But a $10 creeper seat from harbor freight will give up its tires easy enough.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 08:14:37 PM »
I get the wanting to keep it in service aspect, and have my original Whiteside version. I sold a trailerload of those back in the autoparts counter days.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 08:53:42 PM »
<snip>
Does anyone make a steel wheel creeper anymore? the last few I've bought have been rubber tires. They dont hold up too well to oil either. But a $10 creeper seat from harbor freight will give up its tires easy enough.

Whiteside still makes the traditional creeper with steel discs. Not cheap though.

https://www.whitesidemfg.com/product/4071/

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 08:54:57 PM »
I get the wanting to keep it in service aspect, and have my original Whiteside version. I sold a trailerload of those back in the autoparts counter days.

They were everywhere at one time.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 09:12:05 PM »

They were everywhere at one time.

True! -- even local drug store chains sold them back in the 1970's.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 09:54:20 PM »
Steve, I have a 36" mechanics creeper with the plastic wheels made by Petersen Automotive Corp Inc that was my mom's. A sticker on the back of the creeper lists replacement parts and it said the plastic wheels were $.60 each. I did a search and the company in Fredonia WI was dissolved in 1984 so you are out of luck there. If the creeper came from anywhere but my mom I would sell you the wheels off it.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 10:11:22 PM »
I appreciate that Les, but anything that was moms is special.

Sixty cents sounds so cheap now.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »
Purt sure i can do some wheelin and dealin at the swap.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?