Author Topic: Metal detector - no worky any more (FIXED)  (Read 414 times)

Offline oldnslo

Metal detector - no worky any more (FIXED)
« on: January 20, 2024, 10:15:06 AM »
"It worked until it didn't" Famous last lines, eh?

What I am looking for, is perhaps guidance to another forum (or even a member here), that is knowledgeable about diagnosing what seems to be a simple PCB situation. I'm handy with a DVOM, however there are no schematics available apparently for this rudimentary metal detector I have owned and very seldom used.

I can randomly join another electronic forum, but I thought I would entertain forum suggestions here for DIY electronic types.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:23:02 AM by oldnslo »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Metal detector - no worky any more :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 11:15:39 AM »
no clue. sparky work is not my specialty.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 06:44:17 PM »
is there any markings on the board itself? Sometimes you can look those up to get a diagram. Its been years since I last looked at board level repairs. often times a visual will indicate a bad component or cold solder joint. The wiper board in my GM truck required the power joints to be resoldered regularly. I also recall a lot of the components have to come off the board to be tested correctly. Just some random thoughts.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 08:57:12 PM »
Thanks. No board clues with any numbering, its a pretty simplistic (IMHO) board. No visual burn damage. Caps seem good, speaker tests out with proper ohms. I'll continue my search. The manufacturer just has voice mail, I was hoping to get a schemo from them.

Offline oldnslo

Re: Metal detector - no worky any more (FIXED)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 08:26:01 AM »
Well, I have had a string of "self healing" of electrical devices which makes me joyful. I wont go into those details here, but the metal detector appears to have burnt out the teeny tiny speaker. I chose to test the simple things first. The headphones work perfectly, so I will just stay with that setup.

Case closed!  :)