Author Topic: Do you guys thing this is all original, or mismatched ?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Do you guys thing this is all original, or mismatched ?
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:43:01 PM »
I just bought this Frank mossberg bicycle wrench , and it's in pretty good condition overall with little to no real wear on the jaws.

But the lower jaw is missing a lot of finish and the thumb wheel is worn smooth.

I can see how the finish would be corroded off the backside of the mobile jaw if laying on that side for a long time , but how do you wear the thumb wheel smooth without putting any wear on the jaws.

How could the mobile jaw finish and thumb wheel be worn this much without putting hardly any wear on the rest of the wrench ?

I am thinking the mobile jaw belongs to another wrench, but maybe there are circumstances that could lead to this kind of wear ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline coolmercury

Re: Do you guys thing this is all original, or mismatched ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 03:09:02 PM »
Looks mismatched to me.  Some of the small wrenches are made so you cannot remove the movable jaw.  In that case people will file off the part of the wrench behind the movable jaw and then improve the wrench.  If yours is one where the movable jaw can be replaced then it appears it was replaced.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:57:52 PM »
Looks mismatched to me.  Some of the small wrenches are made so you cannot remove the movable jaw.  In that case people will file off the part of the wrench behind the movable jaw and then improve the wrench.  If yours is one where the movable jaw can be replaced then it appears it was replaced.
Yeah, it comes right off.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 04:06:03 PM »
I'm willing to bet its original. What are the odds that you lose/destroy the moveable jaw yet the rest of the tool stays prisitine, and your replacement moveable jaw is in good shape too? My bet is the wrap around part is a different alloy and lost the finish or it was carried in something that removed the finish.

Offline geneg

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »
On some of the bicycle wrenches the last tooth on the static jaw is deformed enough to prevent rolling past it.  A few file strokes or punch taps can clear the "stop".  Keep your eyes open for another wrench that has beaten up jaws & a good knurl nut.  Create your own frankenstein.  In the meantime, you have something usable to enjoy.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 04:41:14 PM »
On some of the bicycle wrenches the last tooth on the static jaw is deformed enough to prevent rolling past it.  A few file strokes or punch taps can clear the "stop".  Keep your eyes open for another wrench that has beaten up jaws & a good knurl nut.  Create your own frankenstein.  In the meantime, you have something usable to enjoy.
It still works just find honestly, so I'm not too concerned.
I'm not sure I could replace that anyway since these are riveted together
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 04:44:13 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn