VEHICLES > Help me fix it

Stub axle replacement - utility trailer

(1/3) > >>

oldnslo:
Seems like a simple, grind off the old welds, punch out the center section and weld in the new one (after carefully estimating alignment). The old one was sheared off by the prior owner during a prior back up session.

It's a greaseable spindle version (nice), but that grease exit hole to reach the inner bearing was a stress riser.

See red circle in pic.

What am I missing here in complexity before I start on this?

DeadNutz:
I don't see any suspension on that trailer. You didn't mention the size of the trailer or capacity. If it was me I would just buy a new axle with leaf springs and stick that under it. You get one at TSC or order one online.

oldnslo:
Torsion bar. 2k lb axle (singular).

A $20 part and some mig love, beats a complete replacement axle any day. ;)

Besides, this "owner built" setup was all weld attachments, not a bolt in sight anywhere on the frame.

slip knot:
Is the spindle itself replaceable or will the arm have to be replaced as well? The torsion axles I have slide up in the axle with rubber just inside the axle tube. Be careful with the heat there or you could melt out the rubber parts.

oldnslo:
I've got the welds ground off on each side, but no luck on it budging. I'll have a go at it again in the daylight.

This is the needed part: https://www.ordertrailerparts.com/products/copy-of-spindle-for-3-500-lb-idler-hub?variant=29440656769126

What I am wondering, and thus hoping someone here has done this before, is that drop portion might have a chamfer that the weld bead dropped into when originally fitted. Thus I might have to not just grind flat, but also "into" the support on both sides. The last thing I want its to cut so deep that I am left with a solid chunk in the middle that wont come out.

:38:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version