VEHICLES > Help me fix it

Stub axle replacement - utility trailer

<< < (2/3) > >>

skfarmer:
keep grinding. that torsion arm appears to be solid so when it is free on each side it should slide out. the hard part is getting it free. you will have to grind down into it to release the stub. it may be easier to cut the spindle flush on the other side to make it easier to find/grind where it is at. if you grind a slot down into it deeper than the weld you should be able to see the line between the parts. from there just grind and follow it around the shaft.

DeadNutz:
When this guy thought he had ground enough of the weld off he used a ball joint press to bust the thin remaining weld.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwmOxLE_hIw title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oldnslo:
Harlan, thanks so much, that was the ticket to me seeing progress. More grinding. I had been trying to save the base material (arm) and sacrifice the shaft. I've stopped for the day, and have a full circle of weld break on the back side to show for my work today. I'm 12lb sledging from the front side, so I'll want to keep that stub for awhile.

DeadNutz, thanks for the vid. I had searched previously, hoping to find a forum (trailer building, RV, etc) to no real luck, along with Youtube. I guess it was the "spindel" spelling that did the trick.

I'll probably try a ball joint press later, or fab up a bottle jack press to assist.

More later, when I have time. Thanks guys! There is hope.

oldnslo:
Done. Case closed. Part ordered. Grind shavings swept up.

What I learned:

1. Grinding the surface weld and going deeper is not enough. Go even deeper.
2. Keep any exposed spindle available to bang on. Don't cut yourself short
3. The welded Al-Ko (Dexter) spindle is not press fit in from the factory. It's loose at best. Welded to spec.
4. The Dexter company wants nothing to do with guys off the street like me for technical questions
5. While I did have access to a ball joint press, I didnt need it. You will if you cant grind out the old welds.

From the picture, you can see the weld puddle go into the gap between the spindle and its mount (the arm) from the factory. That gap puddle is what was holding me up, and not allowing the spindle to be forced through. Yeah, the circular weld break was showing up, but little did I know that it would be like forcing a larger diameter into a smaller one.

Thats all folks. Thanks!

DeadNutz:
Glad you got it out and that certainly is a loose fit which I wouldn't have expected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version