Author Topic: New project to be daily driver  (Read 1150 times)

Offline john k

New project to be daily driver
« on: November 15, 2023, 08:22:34 PM »
Went mad at an auction, bought 2 pickups, sight unseen, save for the 6 photos of each in the auction catalogue.  The 90s GM pickups around here are rust buckets in my price bracket.  Those rust free are way above my wallet size.   The 93 and 97 I won the bidding on are rust free examples, but came from a salvage yard so little things are missing.  Things like alternators, taillights, dash switches,  so the internet is again my friend.  Already bought a wrecked but running donor truck that is really proving its value.  Have the 97 at home, heard it fire today.  Having great weather here to do this tinkering, trying to decide what other project will vacate the garage, so I can continue thru the cold months.  I gained some storage room by parting with a 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super, big block, that would break me was I to drive it often.  The 2nd truck is a 93 GMC 4x4, with the higher trim level, with the GM Diesel.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: New project to be daily driver
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 11:00:46 PM »
You still have that '50s Pontiac?  If so, what's going on with it?
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 05:39:56 AM »
Went mad at an auction, bought 2 pickups, sight unseen, save for the 6 photos of each in the auction catalogue.  The 90s GM pickups around here are rust buckets in my price bracket.  Those rust free are way above my wallet size.   The 93 and 97 I won the bidding on are rust free examples, but came from a salvage yard so little things are missing.  Things like alternators, taillights, dash switches,  so the internet is again my friend.  Already bought a wrecked but running donor truck that is really proving its value.  Have the 97 at home, heard it fire today.  Having great weather here to do this tinkering, trying to decide what other project will vacate the garage, so I can continue thru the cold months.  I gained some storage room by parting with a 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super, big block, that would break me was I to drive it often.  The 2nd truck is a 93 GMC 4x4, with the higher trim level, with the GM Diesel.

Congrats on the "new" trucks. From your description it looks like you're well equipped to handle such a project(s).
As an aside, I think that those 1990's through early 2000's were the best years for GM trucks. Reliable as anything on the road, and easily serviced. Something you certainly can't say about GM trucks these days.

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 07:23:10 AM »
Still have 2 56 Pontiac sedans, no progress on them this year, due to working on the house, lawn mowers, tractors, put up a 20x20 carport, little things like that.  Somehow my 58 Chevy pickup got into the mix too.  Also did plenty of work on my aging fleet aka daily drivers. Bought an old farm wagon to use as a mount for a large PTO generator,  which came my way at an auction. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 08:25:36 AM »
Still have 2 56 Pontiac sedans, no progress on them this year, due to working on the house, lawn mowers, tractors, put up a 20x20 carport, little things like that.  Somehow my 58 Chevy pickup got into the mix too.  Also did plenty of work on my aging fleet aka daily drivers. Bought an old farm wagon to use as a mount for a large PTO generator,  which came my way at an auction. 

I fully understand your point about other jobs getting in the way of hobby car projects. Seems like most of 2023 I've done nothing but fix the family car fleet and worked on the house and garden, then dock on the lake and the new porch needed attention, and finally the new garage needed work. Now the year is over and I haven't done squat on my intended motorcycle rebuild. Funny thing is -- I'm retired, and should have the time, but it just doesn't work out that way sometimes.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 08:19:42 AM »
GF, you didn't even mention the Jag. Did you finish or sell it during my absence?
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 10:16:51 AM »
GF, you didn't even mention the Jag. Did you finish or sell it during my absence?

Yes I did finish it Herb, but there were some issues. Cosmetically it was great, but the electrical system was never right. It kept blowing fuses and even had a dead short at one point that caused a bit of smoke -- LOL. I drove it, but it wasn't perfect. When we moved to our new house, I had it delivered to a "Jag expert" who came highly recommended by the local Jaguar Club. He couldn't find what was wrong with it either -- and I spent considerable $$ for him to find a solution. I finally took it back and during a local trip in the county side the water pump literally exploded and spewed coolant all over the engine compartment First time I ever saw that happen.

I managed to replace the pump and I cleaned the car up nicely again inside and out and decided to put the project on hold until I absolutely could find the intermittent electrical shorts. It's stored in a climate controlled garage near my house because I still have to outfit my current garage and get a lift. The idea was to store the Jag on the lift and park my truck and car in the garage as well;-thereby leaving plenty of room to work and piddle.

My back injury last year put me in a terrible bind. I was totally out of commission for over six months and after that time I was not allowed to strain my back at all -- Hence no major projects. The Jag just had to sit in it's hibernation until I could get back on it. This year my wife and I took it out only once for a short ride, but now she has a hard time getting in and out of the car. Therefore she doesn't like to travel much in it.

I have a lofty plan for the car, but will need to consider time/finances to accomplish what i want to do. I always thought the glass covered headlights and rear lower cowl of the Series ! and Series 1.5 cars were stunning. My 1970 Series II although more comfortable, has open headlights and a not so pleasing lower rear cowl. Due to governmental regulations in the late1960's Jaguar had to loose a lot of the classic E-Type form in order to comply with new regulations.

In recent years some great new OEM style sheetmetal parts have become available to retrofit later model year E-Types with new sheetmetal in order to make them look exactly like the older "classic" Series I and 1.5 cars. It would mean a lot of welding and rework of the body and bonnet to accomplish this project, and at my age it may not make sense, but I'm seriously considering it.

Also with the bonnet off the car I could do a full on diagnosis of the wiring harness in order to find that electrical gremlin.

The only project(s) I have on for 2024 is to finish the garage to include the lift, and to rebuild my 1993 Kawasaki X-11 Ninja bike. That will get first billing. The Jaguar will be next in line -- if I decide to do all that sheetmetal work.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 12:40:49 PM »
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear all this. That had to be very discouraging after all the time, money, and hard work invested in this labor of love! I think mothballing the Jag for now was a wise decision. The sting of disappointment with issues preventing you from enjoying the car will have hopefully subsided by the time you decide to dig into it again and will allow for a fresh and new perspective to tackle, identify and correct the issues at the root of the problem.  I  don't suppose you could share a few pictures of what the car looked like after you finished reassembling it could you? Issues aside, I am sure it looked stunning after reassembly.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 10:18:59 PM »
Had to reshuffle here.  The 1993 GMC 1/2 t I got on auction has disappeared, right off the auction lot, already got a refund and apology.  Was an extended cab no rust truck too.  Progress continues on the 97 Chevy, power windows, locks, and hinge pins.  Last Monday was heading home just after dark with the 97 1500 my ladyfriend  brought with her.  21 miles from home met a black Angus cow on the highway, pretty much wiped out the front end, radiator too, bumper folded into a front tire, so it is doa, and a parts donor for the auction truck.  Deputy couldn't contact the nearest wrecker service, so unbeknownst to me called another from the city.  Found this out after a 45 minute wait, and he was hooked up.  Had materials in the bed, and groceries in the cab, so convinced him to take me home.  Deputy couldnt as it was across county lines.  Tow bill was $200, but only 20 miles loaded,  was a 100 mile round trip for him.  Cow was much worse than the truck.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 12:03:16 AM »
Had to reshuffle here.  The 1993 GMC 1/2 t I got on auction has disappeared, right off the auction lot, already got a refund and apology.  Was an extended cab no rust truck too.  Progress continues on the 97 Chevy, power windows, locks, and hinge pins.  Last Monday was heading home just after dark with the 97 1500 my ladyfriend  brought with her.  21 miles from home met a black Angus cow on the highway, pretty much wiped out the front end, radiator too, bumper folded into a front tire, so it is doa, and a parts donor for the auction truck.  Deputy couldn't contact the nearest wrecker service, so unbeknownst to me called another from the city.  Found this out after a 45 minute wait, and he was hooked up.  Had materials in the bed, and groceries in the cab, so convinced him to take me home.  Deputy couldnt as it was across county lines.  Tow bill was $200, but only 20 miles loaded,  was a 100 mile round trip for him.  Cow was much worse than the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 06:44:41 PM »
I miss my old 98 GM 2500. Those were some sweet trucks.

GF, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Jag. Did it have the Lucas electrical system in it? Prince of darkness is a well earned nickname. I got an IH tractor with a Lucas starter on it. POS gets hard to start when its 40f or below.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 08:09:18 PM »

GF, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Jag. Did it have the Lucas electrical system in it? Prince of darkness is a well earned nickname. I got an IH tractor with a Lucas starter on it. POS gets hard to start when its 40f or below.

I can't blame LUCAS, but most likely something I did during the install, OR more likely that the new aftermarket wiring harness that I installed has a QC issue. As I said, a classic Jaguar repair expert couldn't find the issue either. It's intermittent and this problem is hard to trace down. A modern car would store a trouble code, but that old Jag just blows smoke when its not happy ---  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 08:14:04 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 08:18:40 PM »

I can't blame LUCAS, but most likely something I did during the install, OR more likely that the new aftermarket wiring harness that I installed has a QC issue. As I said, a classic Jaguar repair expert couldn't find the issue either. It's intermittent and this problem is hard to trace down. A modern car would store a trouble code, but that old Jag just blows smoke when its not happy ---  ;)
I've been fighting two intermittent electrical issues at work. Electrical issues are tough to begin with but add in the intermittent issue and they are nightmares.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 06:18:21 PM »
Electrical problems can cause gray hair.  Got a good look over on my 97 Chevy which met the cow.  Have the 2nd 97 for parts, unfortunately whacked on the same side.  But started counting up I have and what is needed, so seriously started wrenching on it.  Then hit gold (?)  On marketplace, pair of fenders + hood + radiator saddle, great price, 1 hour away.  But,  he was coming by  to visit family, met up, loaded up, just ten miles from here.  Get any better, yes it does,  sheet metal is rust free and the same flavor red!    Not had luck like this in 20 years.  So today am wrenching on it, bumper was wrapped around some of the bumper bolts,  get out the torch,  acetylene empty, huh?  Valve was shut,  so out came the 6 lb. sledge, 6 ft pry bar, and got serious with it.  Then cooling lines tight, real tight, sheet metal wrapped around more critical bolts.   Hammer, pound,pound.  Get somewhere on it tomorrow.  Old carguy,  you have had amazing luck on the Bronco and the Blazer, am currently going on 245k on my 08 Jeep Patriot,  have the unlimited lifetime powertrain warranty,  available when I got it new, but barely used it.