Author Topic: Eat your heart out Grayson.  (Read 2970 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Eat your heart out Grayson.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 07:37:36 AM »
I saw this a couple of weeks back, dirt simple & amazing....
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 09:26:53 AM »
Cool.

I watch "Pakistani truck" where they rebuild heavy duty trucks with little more than a 'spoon and a pencil'.
 :clap:
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 01:34:59 PM »
I just do Pakistani body work  :P

Occasionally do some precision pipe threading too  :D

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 08:26:54 PM »
Cool.

I watch "Pakistani truck" where they rebuild heavy duty trucks with little more than a 'spoon and a pencil'.
 :clap:
Same here. While interesting most of the repairs I'd never want any of them done to my equipment

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 07:28:28 AM »
I've seen some of the work that Pakistani craftsman put out. Their handmade copies of mainstream firearms are literally a thing of beauty. Engravings and details are beyond description. That said, the metallurgy in many of those firearms is quite often very suspect.  When it comes to truck /machinery repairs, they meet a market segment that is quite competitive. They fix things at the lowest cost because that is what the market demands. The repair is only going to last weeks/months until the next breakdown, but that is all that the truckers can, or are willing to pay for repairs.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 09:55:34 AM »
Amazing what those guys can do with the stuff they have to work with.    :cool2:

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 09:47:04 PM »
You have to admire the ingenuity of folks who can keep machinery working with sparse resources.
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 09:50:57 PM »
I've seen some of the work that Pakistani craftsman put out. Their handmade copies of mainstream firearms are literally a thing of beauty. Engravings and details are beyond description. That said, the metallurgy in many of those firearms is quite often very suspect.  When it comes to truck /machinery repairs, they meet a market segment that is quite competitive. They fix things at the lowest cost because that is what the market demands. The repair is only going to last weeks/months until the next breakdown, but that is all that the truckers can, or are willing to pay for repairs.
Their repairs are that of the depression era farmers. Repair, repair, repair.....untill it's completely broke.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 09:57:35 AM »
Their repairs are that of the depression era farmers. Repair, repair, repair.....untill it's completely broke.

Yup, that was the way it was done. Cutting some corners to get something back in the field or on the road as quickly as possible was often the norm.

Amazing what those guys can do with the stuff they have to work with.    :cool2:

What really gets me George is how they can squat all day on the ground and fix all manner of equipment and not have joint/leg problems. Rarely do you see a mechanic or welder standing over a workbench or welding table. The only time they seem to stand upstraight is when welding a part that's mounted on the lathe. It hurts just watching ---  ;)

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 09:59:25 AM by goodfellow »

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 07:39:35 PM »
Indeed this fella in this video is an amazing all around machinist. I so often find self learned craftsman in my travels to impoverished countries and even in far out rural areas in the US. Farmers are the greatest to keep machines running.

The first thing that stands out is the lack of use of safety glasses. You won't see that in a modern US factory today. The next thing that stands out is work positioning. Stooping down, holding a makeshift welding glass between your legs, while stick welding? Looks as if he's using some a homemade welder without powers setting. The amazing thing I didn't see any porosity in his weld. He had to do a good job removing all the slag! Nothing like a state of the art TIG welding with Argon gas. I have more than enough good equipment to accomplish with a lot less effort. I'd give it a try though. 

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 08:52:43 AM »
Yeah, all that and of course, everything is done in sandals. From working with red-hot castings, to earth shaking machinery, and of course lifting/moving tonnage that would bring instant toe removal should something lean just the wrong way.