Author Topic: So is your next paycheck?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
So is your next paycheck?
« on: March 09, 2022, 02:29:04 PM »
Going to be bicoin or some other crypos, who's kidding who here?  :-\

Don't try to pay or buy something from me with anything but American greenbacks.

Have these people gone completely nuts, what's the point?

I actually saw last year some yahoo yardman with a sign on his trailer cut grass 100 bicoins..  :-\
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: So is your next paycheck?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 03:24:42 PM »
I understand the idea behind the Bitcoin crypto blockchain-based algorithm. In a world where government intrusion into your saving/spending habits is getting out of control, crypto offers a sound alternative to keeping your finances private and secure. That said, the system is too immature and flawed at this juncture to offer any real security and protection during troubled times like these. Also, the dark side of crypto is that the digital currency is absolutely perfect for money laundering and hiding a multitude of illegal financial activities.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 07:49:31 PM »
Ray,

Not so sure "crypto offers a sound alternative to keeping your finances private and secure."

Would be a long-term solution, anything digitized is traceable, hack the code game over

Real privacy ............ stashing your $$$ in a mattress.  :93:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 08:06:53 PM »
I'm a firm believer in tangibles. Gotta keep it tangible!

Crypto is not tangible. Never trusted it. Plus, as far as I can tell, if the power goes off or the Internet gets shut down, you can't access your crypto. And no major companies can accept it then either.

Dollars used to be "solid". But it's losing credibility fast. Inflation is destroying it. Gold is solid but who's gonna carry around a bar of gold? And how do you buy a loaf of bread or some other small purchase with it? Pull out the Swiss Army Knife and scrape off a sliver? And how many companies will accept it? Plus the government could do as FDR did and make the private ownership of gold illegal. Too many variables.
Silver is better IMHO. Old US coins (pre 1963) used to be 90% silver. Can be used a s face value currency or silver weight in barter. Plus there's more of it in nature than gold.
Land is also good but can be confiscated.

Barter is what I expect to come out on top in the inflations wars. If you have goods or a skill that people want, you trade for what they have that you want. Very good incentive to get trained in a useful trade. I have skills, and I'm investing in barter tangibles (tools in general, anything Snap-On, flashlights, seeds, fertilizer, booze, coffee, ect).

Though I've just heard about Goldbacks. "Paper" money with gold impregnated into the fabric that it's weight equals the value of the currency. As small as about $4. All the positives of physical gold with the ease of currency. Plus if worst comes to worst, you can dissolve the bills in a strong solvent to melt the polymer coating and extract the real gold. Might be worth a look-see.

https://goldback.com/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:10:21 PM by bonneyman »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 09:23:37 PM »
No crypto for me. I do have a good supply of barter items and the biggest future concern with bartering is to protect yourself while meeting people to barter. In a SHTF scenario, once people know that you have stuff then you have worry about them just robbing or killing you.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 09:29:44 PM »
No crypto for me. I do have a good supply of barter items and the biggest future concern with bartering is to protect yourself while meeting people to barter. In a SHTF scenario, once people know that you have stuff then you have worry about them just robbing or killing you.

Beans, bacon, and bullets!  if the lard and gas don't get 'em the lead will!  :))