Author Topic: Anyone use a SawStop?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Anyone use a SawStop?
« on: April 07, 2022, 09:20:42 AM »
As some of you may have seen from other posts I've been invited to look through and possibly buy items from an estate of a woodworker.  This shop has many items and I'm trying to get a feel for their worth.  Probably will post more when I return and my daughter has a discussion with the executor of the estate.

There is a SawStop Contractor saw in the shop as well as a couple CNC carving machines, drill presses, bench planer, sanders, bandsaws with numerous hand tools and clamps.  I've never used a SawStop table saw but have heard of them before and have seen the video.

So anyone have experience with a SawStop?

I find this a good place for honest opinions and advice so bear with me on the posts.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline john k

Re: Anyone use a SawStop?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 09:38:37 AM »
Until I watched their video couldnt really understand how it worked.  Sure was convinced by the ending that it does.  One hole in a finger vs having fingers sewn on sounds great.  Unit is expensive but doesnt make dent in surgery, physical therapy, and down time.  Can see where schools are getting them.  One fantastic shop there, sounds like the guy had whatever he needed.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 10:23:37 AM »
Can't help with the sawstop from personal experience but can give you my guidelines for pricing tools

If a tool is in really good shape, in general, it should bring about 50% of lowest new retail price you can find in a used tool store setting and about 30% of retail in an auction. 

The more worn it looks, the less it will bring.

There are other factors that can affect price but this is a general guideline

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
Thanks Phil. 

That is very helpful as I'm not sure whether she wants to sell the contents as a whole or piecemeal it out.

I've got my eyes on this Craftsman drill press.

This Rikon bandsaw looks like a high-end unit.

Nick
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 07:02:32 PM »
Selling contents as a whole about 20 % of retail with no value to old tools and real worn tools.  That is what you would realize from an auction after commissions and about what I offer for mechanics collection

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 07:24:14 PM »
About $1800 for a base contractor saw. I think it's worth every penny for a full-time or eve avid hobbyist.

Everytime I use my table saw getting bit or kickback is always on my mind.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 07:32:06 PM by muddy »

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 08:54:45 AM »
I watched a demonstration of a saw stop in action once at a trade show. IT WORKS, it left a mark almost invisible on a hot dog. If I was using a table saw on a daily basis I would think it would be a good investment. These saws are pricey but not as pricey as fingers.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 10:30:55 AM »
they're definitely a life and limb saver.
here are some older pictures of a deployed brake off the sawstop at work