Author Topic: Old Plomb speed handle find  (Read 1287 times)

Offline bonneyman

Old Plomb speed handle find
« on: April 11, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »
Goodwill grab for $3. Nice shape, could use some cleaning.
Is this a cadmium-plated tool requiring soap/water with scrubby pad cleaning? Or can I use a wire brush?

The scrapper was a $2 find.

Offline fatfillup

Re: Old Plomb speed handle find
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 07:47:55 PM »
Nice score on the speeder.  Doubt I could say that for any other brand out there except Plomb as speeders are so common and nobody wants them :))

I just scored a Plomb body hammer.  Will go in my tool box for limited use.

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 09:36:28 PM »
I have all the air tools I need, and more battery tools all the time, but still grab the speed handle quite often.   More for reassembly that disassembly,  great for oil pans, intakes, and valve covers.  Have several each in 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4.   Keep the extras in my carry box. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 10:00:52 PM »
Nice score on the speeder.  Doubt I could say that for any other brand out there except Plomb as speeders are so common and nobody wants them :))

I just scored a Plomb body hammer.  Will go in my tool box for limited use.
They're one of my favorite socket driving tools.
I don't need one that often, and I suppose that's why I love 'em.
If I needed to run a bunch of fasteners in quickly on a regular basis I'd get an air or battery tool but since I don't I like the speeder thats full proof and always good to go when needed.

With something battery powered it would probably not be charged the occasional time I needed it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 10:06:58 PM »
I've got a Thorsen and I think an S-K, but for $3 could leave this old warhorse on the shelf. I'll scrub it clean and lube the knob. Prolly slap a 3/8" to 1/4" adaptor onto it and drive 1/4" sockets with it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 04:44:21 AM »
I agree they are great for reassembly because you can feel the fastener going in but they rarely sell.  I have sold some to aviation mechanics and I  have seen pit crews use them on drag car motors

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 09:39:19 AM »
Got to comment on that long handle scraper.  They use a 4 inch razor blade,  they are perfect for removing wall paper, scraping old paint.  The long handle gives great control, and the extra reach when doing walls.