Author Topic: A web site that was posted here?  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Fatty_McButterpants

A web site that was posted here?
« on: April 21, 2022, 11:03:36 PM »
My question is long and rambling so please be patient.

My buddy, Doug, once showed me a website he said he found through this group. I asked him about it the other day and he couldn’t tell me what it was and hasn’t signed on in a couple years so he can’t tell me where to find it. But he said he knew enough that you guys might be able to help with a few clues. These are his words so I hope this makes sense.

“UB posted the link and provided the password.”

I recall the site had lots of different sections like repair guides and even a section that said how long a vehicle repair would take. It had lots more than just automotive stuff. There was even small engine repair info and a bunch more stuff I never had a chance to check out.

Does any of this ring a bell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: A web site that was posted here?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 12:09:04 AM »
Been here for all three iterations of this site and I can't think of what it is.   ???
boop/bop/beep

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 07:46:40 AM »
same here.

who is the doug that hangs out here by the way?
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 11:11:47 PM »
same here.

who is the doug that hangs out here by the way?
His name is Doug Turner. He said he hasn’t been on in a LONG time.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 11:12:28 PM »
Been here for all three iterations of this site and I can't think of what it is.   ???
3 iterations? Please explain.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 12:20:28 AM »
3 iterations? Please explain.

This is going by my memory so may not be exactly correct.  This site started out as The Garage Hangout in about 2009, as an alternative to Channel 3, aka Garage Journal.  The Hangout was designed to give more freedom of speech than GJ.  Only problem was we were never certain who owned it, only that he wasn't as free speech oriented as we thought.  Because of these issues, eventually we branched off into the garage gazette, and had that site going for 7-8 years(?) until an issue caused the site to stop working around June, 2018.  This site replaced it and came online at the end of July 2018.  Several members have been here for all three sites.  Several are also still on Channel 3.
boop/bop/beep

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 08:08:03 AM »
Pretty darn accurate except for a couple things.  The owner of the garage hangout whigged and overnight removed all content and replaced it with a mexican food  site. (See my sig line.).  The second  issue as the software crash of the journal a couple years back. Piles of info ws lost.

There are  vast amounts of info on the web but some of the stuff lost  was stuff that could be found no where else. Goofellows jag restoration posts, the v cut wrench thread and that is especially painful for me was my day in the life thread. Hundreds of pics and stories from my farm,any which includes pics ofy father who has now passed..
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 06:07:55 PM »
Pretty darn accurate except for a couple things.  The owner of the garage hangout whigged and overnight removed all content and replaced it with a mexican food  site. (See my sig line.).  The second  issue as the software crash of the journal a couple years back. Piles of info ws lost.

There are  vast amounts of info on the web but some of the stuff lost  was stuff that could be found no where else. Goofellows jag restoration posts, the v cut wrench thread and that is especially painful for me was my day in the life thread. Hundreds of pics and stories from my farm,any which includes pics ofy father who has now passed..

I agree that the loss of information due to the server failure really hit me hard. The A/C series I did was done only for this sites members. Once it was gone it was gone for good.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 07:49:38 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, SK.  Yes, tons of good info was lost. 
boop/bop/beep

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 11:09:29 PM »
I messaged Doug to ask him if that website was posted before or after June 2018 and he said it had to be before that. He said it was a post by Uncle Buck. Who’s Uncle Buck?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 06:42:59 AM »
Uncle Buck started this site but sadly has been MIA for a while, not sure why but he had some health issues, lost his Dad and life just got in the way I suppose. Miss him.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 11:46:52 AM »
So this will remain a mystery until he returns.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 11:16:47 AM »

This is going by my memory so may not be exactly correct.  This site started out as The Garage Hangout in about 2009, as an alternative to Channel 3, aka Garage Journal.  The Hangout was designed to give more freedom of speech than GJ.  Only problem was we were never certain who owned it, only that he wasn't as free speech oriented as we thought.  Because of these issues, eventually we branched off into the garage gazette, and had that site going for 7-8 years(?) until an issue caused the site to stop working around June, 2018.  This site replaced it and came online at the end of July 2018.  Several members have been here for all three sites.  Several are also still on Channel 3.

We should have special badge to put under our user name.
"Veteran of the Mexican recipe invasion of 2010"