Author Topic: Craftsman drill find  (Read 1566 times)

Offline bonneyman

Craftsman drill find
« on: May 02, 2022, 06:50:53 PM »
A Goodwill snag. Was marked what looked like 79.99, so I enquired rather than mess with the tag. I was hoping for $7.99. Came back $14.99, tested and worked, so I took it.
It looks new and unused. I don't think I've ever had a drill this clean before. It must have been a gift and sat in the box for 30 years in someone's attic and got donated to the store. Craftsman drill chuck, and clean as a whistle. Great find!

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Craftsman drill find
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:10:21 PM »
Definitely a great find.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 08:35:33 PM »
I think that's another great Diehl Electric product that was manufactured for Sears. God only knows how many of those drills are still working hard today, but they were built to last a lifetime.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 09:52:46 PM »
I seem to "eat up" corded drills. So I've been accumulating them just to have one when I need it. Plus - with all the supply chain issues - a good drill could be a great barter item.

I have an old gray Skil, 3 (now) Craftsman's, and a Shop Craft oldie. Plus an oldie that was my dads that my brother says will shock you if you use it. Haven't taken it apart yet - if it needs parts I'm sure I'll be out of luck.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
George, you are the only person I know that buys old corded drills that size.  I sell a few Milwaukee 1/2 inch hole shooters and corded hammer drills but almost never 3/8 old ones.  They often won't even get a bid on them at auctions. 

Glad you found such a nice one

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 11:13:34 AM »
I agree Phil, but sometimes there's nothing like an old corded or pneumatic drill when the jobs get real tough. Like George, I keep a few of the old classics in the tool cabinet because they just don't quit.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 01:38:59 PM »
When i started in HVAC in the late 80's I used a corded drill for installs. Around that time the cordless drills were getting popular, so, before buying my own I "tested" all the brands available by borrowing someone's while on the job. The blue Makita 9.6v won by a mile, so I grabbed a kit. $160 for a drill, battery, and charger in a metal case.
After the first round of batteries went dead I began to notice the newer metal hydride versions didn't seem to last as long. I tried to find a better battery but by then the planned obsolescence had begun with the manufacturers bringing out a "new" drill (with higher voltage) every few years. Most guys just upgraded. I read the proverbial tea leaves and saw where this was all going, so I went back to corded drills. They were commonly available, cheap, and - with some of my own cord mods - always had power.
I actually ended up giving my old Makita to a forum member. Just a few years later I discovered Makita had done a whole line of tools using that stick battery, so regretted giving it away. But I've been blessed since with finding a replacement drill, saw, right angle drills, and several flashlights along with batteries, chargers, and cases. Gonna try and get the batteries I have rebuilt. For those few times a quick job is all I need I have a cordless to do it.

But I'm still using the corded ones around the house. Have installed 12' cords to make use easier, and some plug-ins to get power on the roof without a 50' extension cord.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 06:03:23 AM »
I have and use corded and air drills and you can't beat a keyed chuck which few battery drills have.  I just never see anyone buying the 3/8 ones.

George. You are absolutely right about the planned obsolescence and better tools coming out every few years. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
I have and use corded and air drills and you can't beat a keyed chuck which few battery drills have.  I just never see anyone buying the 3/8 ones.

George. You are absolutely right about the planned obsolescence and better tools coming out every few years.
Maybe they're not the best, but you don't have this planned obsolescence with RYOBI because they've kept their battery housing design
Sure things improve and it can be good to upgrade to the better tool at some point,  but Ryobi doesn't force you to.

You can put a new current production battery in a 20 year old Ryobi drill if you've got it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »
How about a Black & Decker.   Only weighs about 39 lbs.  At 149.oo didnt buy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 09:38:35 AM by john k »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 09:59:38 AM »
With the price of scrap metal these days it might have been worth it.   :lol_hitting:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 08:34:05 PM »
I wonder if you could even get a blade for it? I had an old Mall Saw that used a 7in blade. Couldn't find blades for it so it got tossed.