Author Topic: Old School Tools  (Read 21630 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Old School Tools
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2018, 01:05:37 AM »
Supposedly the Smithsonian maintains and restores with tools of the era the artifact was made. So a locomotive from 1880 would be worked on with tools contemporary to 1880. That is done to keep the technology alive.

I hope it's true.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 01:20:01 AM »
Supposedly the Smithsonian maintains and restores with tools of the era the artifact was made. So a locomotive from 1880 would be worked on with tools contemporary to 1880. That is done to keep the technology alive.

I hope it's true.
I hope so too, not sure they could truly understand the things otherwise.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2018, 01:45:48 AM »
Roy Underhill uses contemporary to the era tools at Colonial Williamsburg.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
I keep trying to tell young folks that just because somethings old doesn't mean it useless.

I remember reading a while back how some scientists have discovered a 1000 year-old bovine concoction will kill the MRSA bacteria that's resistant to virtually all modern antibiotics.

Found it:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-32117815

Some ancient backwards farmers figured a cure for something that modern doctors with all their technology couldn't. Who'd have thunk?

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2018, 10:59:02 AM »
Hi Bonneyman - I had no idea those hand drills were used in the aviation industry. Can you tell us more about them? Thanks.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »
Hi Bonneyman - I had no idea those hand drills were used in the aviation industry. Can you tell us more about them? Thanks.

Not much, I'm afraid.

The second pic of mine shows a marking, "Property USAF". The Air Force wasn't a separate service until 1947 (right after WW2). I don't know how small they could make powered drills in those days, but I read the angle drills were used by guys who had to crawl inside airplane wings and do repairs! (I'm thinking bombers and such). Maybe it wasn't practical or safe to drag a power cord in through the access hole to the repair location? I know some airplane wings carried fuel - perhaps they couldn't risk a spark from a tool igniting stray vapors? I don't know for certain but it seems logical.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
Thanks Bonneyman - that makes a lot of sense. I now have a new appreciation of this old tool and its capabilities. I suppose those spark risks could also apply to boat engine compartments.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »
Here's an old timer you don't see often. A self lighting propane torch head, with spring-loaded gas collector and lighter flint ignition.
A bit bulky but no fumbling for matches, a striker, or a failed piezeo sparker.  ;D