Author Topic: Went to a gun show  (Read 1198 times)

Offline john k

Went to a gun show
« on: November 25, 2022, 07:55:10 AM »
Couple of weeks back, went to the big show at Tulsa Ok.  Was there 3 days with friends.  Words wont describe the guns there.   Spent a lot of time walking, haggling and yakking.   Wanted to go home with a .45-70 but prices were pretty dear.   Very little under 900.  Did get a nice .38 spl. revolver, a Remington .22 bolt action from the 30s, and found a replacement stock as the one on it was cracked, glued, and  patched.   Also found a replica Colt Walker like I used to own.  Italian made and in unfired condition.  Saw a number of firearms that had only seen in books.  Such as Colt revolving rifles, Roper shotgun, dueling pistols, and a 17th century silver inlaid fowler.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Went to a gun show
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 11:48:00 AM »
Congrats on the good finds at the show John. As for me, I quit going to shows some years ago. I don't know whether it was our region, but every show was dominated by extraordinary amounts of "tactical" and para-military nonsense that permeated every aspect of the venue. I do enjoy good old fashioned hunting firearms with traditional wood furniture, but it was almost impossible to find any rifles/shotguns with those characteristics. When I finally did find a few examples, they were always priced way over the going market rate at the time.

In the end, I found a few mom 'n pop gun shops located out in the country that had some reasonable inventory and pricing.

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 09:24:57 AM »
At the Tulsa show were 4 BIG booths selling every variation of ar-15 barrels, stocks, and rails etc.  Lots of black rifles but mostly the wood stocks prevailed.  Whole tables of muzzle loaders, saw enough original civil war Springfields to equip an infantry company.   There is an outfit what travels the midwest that has dealers heavy in tactical, holsters, gunsocks, knives   Dealers with stacks of worn Winchester boxes,  priced 50% over retail.  Try to avoid those shows.   Oh, I just bought a 12 ga, Sears and Roebuck  bolt action,  from the 60s.  At Tulsa I did buy 4 pocket knives, but they are all my age.   The nice local show is put on by a local shooting club,  heavy on used, light on the tactical.   Oh, yesterday at the local farm supply, could buy a box of .22, $19 for 250 rounds, to me, not bad.  Am way in the country,  girlfriend likes to shoot too.  It works out.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 12:36:48 AM by john k »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 12:02:00 PM »
it was not that long ago that i  bought 50o rounds for a 10 spot on a regular basis.

in my world i think anything more than 500 for 20 is too much.

now get oof my lawn!  :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 06:40:39 PM »
I haven't been to a gun show in a year or so. All the prices just go to crazy so I don't even go to best myself up with "aww man I want that"

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 05:54:54 PM »
10-4 prices are too rich for my blood. I guess I'll just had to fight off the zombies with a baseball bat and ingenuity!