Author Topic: Blast from the past  (Read 3546 times)

Offline highland512

Blast from the past
« on: January 04, 2023, 08:28:02 PM »
A few weeks ago I picked a beater to drive back and forth to work. I had to fix a few things and it’s been pretty reliable but I still wanted a basic kit to carry behind the seat. Not wanting to unload my main truck I hit the local pawn shops and found this gem for $35.

The only thing it’s missing is a 3/8 deep 14mm and had some extra extensions. All USA made v series ratchets and G1 series sockets. I added some standard and mm wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, and a hammer to a old dewalt bag. Now I cruise in my clunker with peace of mind and grin on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 09:01:40 PM »
35 bucks?

thief........

ha, i was a late adopter of cman tools. never had em growing up and discovered them later. i know some like the old stuff and for sure the old ratchets were better than the last production. sockets and wrenches. the later sockets with off corner engagement were and absolute bargain. wrenches with off corner engagement and milled beams were also excellent value.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 10:00:50 PM »
Hey highland, I might have a deep 14mm in 3/8" drive. I went on a acquisition kick 2 years ago, grabbing any G code Craftsman metric sockets I could find as I saw supplies drying up after Sears went under. (I felt G-code sockets were a solid code, nothing later did I grab). Got some duplicates - I might have a 14mm. 6 or 12 pt. preference?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 07:18:25 AM »
What a great find -- Congrats! It pays to scrounge sometimes. That is a great set for $35.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 08:31:00 AM »
Yeah that's a good buy for sure.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 10:04:30 AM »
Hey highland, I might have a deep 14mm in 3/8" drive. I went on a acquisition kick 2 years ago, grabbing any G code Craftsman metric sockets I could find as I saw supplies drying up after Sears went under. (I felt G-code sockets were a solid code, nothing later did I grab). Got some duplicates - I might have a 14mm. 6 or 12 pt. preference?
For sure see what you have, 6 or 12 it doesn't matter. I am going to keep looking on my end as well.

35 bucks?

thief........

ha, i was a late adopter of cman tools. never had em growing up and discovered them later. i know some like the old stuff and for sure the old ratchets were better than the last production. sockets and wrenches. the later sockets with off corner engagement were and absolute bargain. wrenches with off corner engagement and milled beams were also excellent value.
This is not the good stuff but it will do the job just fine. Im guessing this is early 2010's vintage, what ever era of craftsman had the I'm passing a kidney stone colored chrome but no laser etched markings.
I have my grandfathers set of 3/8-1" raised panel combo wrenches from the late 80's early 90's, pretty darn good wrench's if you ask me. They reside in the do not use drawer of my box.   

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 05:10:43 PM »
I dug thru my Craftsman stash and didn't find a spare 14mm deep to send you. I hit two places today and scrounged thru their socket bins but no-go. Sorry

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 08:23:55 PM »
I'd take that for $35!
boop/bop/beep

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 08:48:40 PM »
Heck of a score for the scratch!  :bravo_2:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 09:32:47 PM »
Minus the ratchets that's a great grab for $35!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 10:03:23 AM »
Minus the ratchets that's a great grab for $35!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more, the raised panel craftsman ratchets are slightly better than a stick at turning sockets. :))
I dug thru my Craftsman stash and didn't find a spare 14mm deep to send you. I hit two places today and scrounged thru their socket bins but no-go. Sorry

Thanks for looking!
Heck of a score for the scratch!  :bravo_2:
A fella has to haggle them pawn shop employees down, plus having cash to put on the counter usually helps work them down even further. (original asking price was $50 which frankly I thought was a decent buy for usa made)

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 04:05:53 PM »
I have always been a fan of Diamond pliers and today while shifting through the junk pile at the local pawn shop I found this jewel. I also got a pair of 6” diamonds out of the package that look brand new. Now I’m debating since these are still in the oem package should I leave them in the package?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 04:58:41 PM »
 :clap: :cool2: :93: :97: :djparty: :a035: :7505: :1rij:

that is a score.........
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 05:20:16 PM »
I have always been a fan of Diamond pliers and today while shifting through the junk pile at the local pawn shop I found this jewel. I also got a pair of 6” diamonds out of the package that look brand new. Now I’m debating since these are still in the oem package should I leave them in the package?

If you don't need them and are thinking of re-selling, you'll get more if you leave them as-is.
boop/bop/beep

Offline geneg

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 08:40:56 PM »
They'll never be new in the package again.  If you don't need them to use, consume the already opened pair & set those back for a rainy day.