Author Topic: Nothing like doing it twice!!  (Read 3035 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Nothing like doing it twice!!
« on: May 19, 2023, 09:28:28 AM »
Daughter had a “fender bender” with the Highlander. This time it was her fault, but no use crying over it. I repaired this front end about seven years ago, after a crash. That time it wasn’t her fault - LOL. Well, the core support is bent, the bumper, bumper cover, left headlight, and condenser are all toast. Time to order some parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 09:30:06 AM by goodfellow »

Offline john k

Re: Nothing like doing it twice!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »
This is to just keep yours skills up, right?   Did the same to daughters Century.   2 years later a pickup rear ended it, was no fixing after that as I dont have a frame machine. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »
Yeah John - keeping the skills up when you’re pushing towards 70 is a good thing - I guess. ——LOL.

This Highlander has had more accidents, dents, bumps, scrapes, and abuse than any car we’ve ever owned. In my mind it deserves another shot, because it just keeps on working. It’s like a member of the family by now.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 10:54:06 PM »
Well, the core support is bent, the bumper, bumper cover, left headlight, and condenser are all toast. Time to order some parts.

Elroy has full confidence it's in capable hands

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 09:44:17 PM »
Daughter had a “fender bender” with the Highlander. This time it was her fault, but no use crying over it. I repaired this front end about seven years ago, after a crash. That time it wasn’t her fault - LOL. Well, the core support is bent, the bumper, bumper cover, left headlight, and condenser are all toast. Time to order some parts.

Good to read you're up and about....
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2023, 07:49:27 AM »
Thanks Pep! Glad to feel normal again. Yes, 2022 was a bad year healthwise, and my back injury forced a lot of projects and garage time to be put on the back burner. This year has been productive -- knock wood! I'm getting the garage setup with air drops, I can bend over and work productively on cars again, and most importantly-- I can finally get that full size lift installed to make the garage more versatile. It took a while, but slowly getting back to a normal pace.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 07:52:25 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 10:04:59 AM »
Very glad to hear that you are doing better and getting back out in the shop and doing your usual great work!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 12:46:51 PM »
Ray you need to get that girl married to a young version of you so you can get some rest :))

Glad you are feeling better

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 06:07:22 AM »
Ray you need to get that girl married to a young version of you so you can get some rest :))

Absolutely agree Phil. Not sure if she needs a guy like me, but she damn well get a guy that knows a bit about mechanical things. Most all the males friends in her social circle don't know anything about cars or mechanical concepts. That said, they know computers real well, but that doesn't help them when facing a large automotive, plumbing, electrical or home improvement quote. They just take the contractor or repair shop's word for it -- what a way to lose money.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »

Absolutely agree Phil. Not sure if she needs a guy like me, but she damn well get a guy that knows a bit about mechanical things. Most all the males friends in her social circle don't know anything about cars or mechanical concepts. That said, they know computers real well, but that doesn't help them when facing a large automotive, plumbing, electrical or home improvement quote. They just take the contractor or repair shop's word for it -- what a way to lose money.

Even computers  have a mechanical aspect.  Some time ago, I had a snap ring break and fly off of an oven door bracket. lodging in the door jamming it open.  I told the help to go get a flat blade screwdriver and three people were back at the tool box, googling "what's a flat blade screwdriver".

Now Saturday, I am helping mom as dad has been sick for a week, when I receive a text about water dripping from the ceiling.  Air handler has a clogged  drain.  I put three five gallon buckets on the table, climb the ladder and expect the kid down below to hold it over the buckets as needed.
Nope, yanks it out of my hands by pulling down, dumping it on the floor, because there is a floor drain five feet away.
The owner hears a noise coming from something, and turns up the radio.  Just recently had to put out the company truck on fire, due to ignoring the noise from a bad wheel bearing.  And he relies on this truck to get to dialysis

Mechanical morons.

Now if I disappear for a while, it's because of my main home computer died, I haven't been able to log in from any backup computer and am only logged in on my work computer.  I tried requesting a  new password, but this site hates my email. (and the password I saved said invalid).  So I am going to try to reset it from this one, then log in from another.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 10:32:44 AM »

One good thing is your daughter is smart and likely hangs out with equally smart friends.  I would bet she will do well in life, marry well and be able to afford to pay to have work done even if it seems crazy to you.

I bet she is well grounded too

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »

Even computers  have a mechanical aspect.  Some time ago, I had a snap ring break and fly off of an oven door bracket. lodging in the door jamming it open.  I told the help to go get a flat blade screwdriver and three people were back at the tool box, googling "what's a flat blade screwdriver".

Now Saturday, I am helping mom as dad has been sick for a week, when I receive a text about water dripping from the ceiling.  Air handler has a clogged  drain.  I put three five gallon buckets on the table, climb the ladder and expect the kid down below to hold it over the buckets as needed.
Nope, yanks it out of my hands by pulling down, dumping it on the floor, because there is a floor drain five feet away.
The owner hears a noise coming from something, and turns up the radio.  Just recently had to put out the company truck on fire, due to ignoring the noise from a bad wheel bearing.  And he relies on this truck to get to dialysis

Mechanical morons.

Now if I disappear for a while, it's because of my main home computer died, I haven't been able to log in from any backup computer and am only logged in on my work computer.  I tried requesting a  new password, but this site hates my email. (and the password I saved said invalid).  So I am going to try to reset it from this one, then log in from another.

If it is for this site that will work
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2023, 03:23:55 AM »

Mechanical morons.

If it is for this site that will work

Nope, it requires the existing password, which I don't have (not what I have it listed as)

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 09:58:51 PM »
Great to see you back in the shop (albeit for not so good reasons.) Also I don't think we got a tour of the new shop yet?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2023, 05:56:08 AM »
Great to see you back in the shop (albeit for not so good reasons.) Also I don't think we got a tour of the new shop yet?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Quite right Tim, I forgot to do a post about the new shop. Been so busy that it slipped my mind completely. I have a few more things to install, but will provide an update and pics in short order. My bad!