Author Topic: a five year mystery resolved.  (Read 5159 times)

Offline strik9

• X
a five year mystery resolved.
« on: September 04, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
I love antique mystery wrenches and it has been a challenge to identify most.

These two googled back to a chain of hardware stores in Spain.  With the help of David of the antique Rolls cars in England we could date this style from 1890 to 1920's  and he found three for his Panhard limo from France. 

Ebay Germany gave him data they were made in Germany for kits and such.  They were cheap export stuff.

Not a lot to go on.  And for 3 years I set there.

Recently one popped up on TT forum with an S inside a triangle logo.

That logo traced back to a company called C. G. Schonweiss which operated from 1871 to 1945 in Germany.  The end of the war was the end of the company.  Not sure of a city yet but the maker has been found. 
       Challenge completed.  My old Ehlis wrenches have a pedigree.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: a five year mystery resolved.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »
I love antique mystery wrenches and it has been a challenge to identify most.

These two googled back to a chain of hardware stores in Spain.  With the help of David of the antique Rolls cars in England we could date this style from 1890 to 1920's  and he found three for his Panhard limo from France. 

Ebay Germany gave him data they were made in Germany for kits and such.  They were cheap export stuff.

Not a lot to go on.  And for 3 years I set there.

Recently one popped up on TT forum with an S inside a triangle logo.

That logo traced back to a company called C. G. Schonweiss which operated from 1871 to 1945 in Germany.  The end of the war was the end of the company.  Not sure of a city yet but the maker has been found. 
       Challenge completed.  My old Ehlis wrenches have a pedigree.
Very cool.
Makes me think of my STANLEY west Germany DOE set which are the same as common car kit wrenches, manufacturer unknown.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:15:57 PM »
Very unique design, I like them!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:43:37 PM »
The poor wrenches are well used and abused.  The dual marking of metrics and whitworth are so cool I had to have them.

The name Ehlis was worth looking into for other reasons.  Turns out Herr Ehlis didn't prove very tracable.

The route of migration to Mexico from Spain is understandable as both countries have long been connected.

Hick, hang in there and never let a clue slip past you.  The answer to post war tools from Germany was not reduced to ash and gravel by a war.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
The poor wrenches are well used and abused.  The dual marking of metrics and whitworth are so cool I had to have them.

The name Ehlis was worth looking into for other reasons.  Turns out Herr Ehlis didn't prove very tracable.

The route of migration to Mexico from Spain is understandable as both countries have long been connected.

Hick, hang in there and never let a clue slip past you.  The answer to post war tools from Germany was not reduced to ash and gravel by a war.
I will for sure.

I suspect Dowidat, and with you having inspired me to dig into these wrenches again I now suspect them even more based on what little i could find.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:56:35 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:55:32 AM »
I had to verify through my crack research team before it was posted but I have a city.

Hagen, which is near Solingen Germany on the Ruhr river.    The British bombed Hagen back to the stone age in 1943 concentrating on the industry so that was probably the last day of work in the factory.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »
I had to verify through my crack research team before it was posted but I have a city.

Hagen, which is near Solingen Germany on the Ruhr river.    The British bombed Hagen back to the stone age in 1943 concentrating on the industry so that was probably the last day of work in the factory.
Very interesting.
Just imagine some worker running out of the factory with a pocket full of wrenches.
He'd be saying to himself " I spent all day making these damn things , I'm leaving here with something to show for it "
I wonder if they evacuated beforehand or if it was a surprise and they just had to split mid work day ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »
War is horrid.  Natural diasters are too. 

When the quakes hit here last september all I could think about was getting to my son's school.  Everyone had the same idea and two near killed me enroute. 

Everything else was secondary.   I found him at his aunt's place safe and went back to the shop to clean up that mess.

Those people were terrified and no wrench mattered.  Their families did.  Horrible stuff.