Author Topic: a call to order  (Read 446 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
a call to order
« on: February 24, 2024, 11:40:14 PM »
just like it says. a call to order. this a great site with great people. that said, we have all become somewhat laid back and comfortable.

there is a certain amount of responsibility that we all have as members.  the events of the past week have made me think more about this. i don't have a fancy shop, crazy tools are exotic cars. what i do have is a thirst for interesting topics.

what am i getting at? posts drive traffic and traffic hopefully drives to more or at least more involved members.

here is my challenge. make one post or start one new topic each time you visit. i believe that doing just that will add immensely to our content and our vistis from existing and or new members. that is for our current members.

now my challenge to our lurkers. we have piles of members with no posts or very few. some have been members for years. can i make you post? no i don't suppose that i can. i can send you a pm asking you to contribute content whether it is your own topic or just commenting on someone else.

one thing is clear. if we don't use this site or take care of it, it won't be here. so, if you are a lurker. don't be surprised if next time you are lurking you get a pm from me asking you to contribute.

from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: a call to order
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 11:51:41 PM »
You really slobbered a bib full there SK! I have been very guilty of this myself! Thanks for this. Ya, I will do my best to step up and do a better job myself!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 12:01:44 AM »
You really slobbered a bib full there SK! I have been very guilty of this myself! Thanks for this. Ya, I will do my best to step up and do a better job myself!

well, sometime i open my mouth and the shit just fall out. :))

you and many of our members are pulling their weight and then some.

this is my real issue. i often look to see who is online. as i scroll through the list i see a member with 0 post checking their pms. who the hell are they talking to and about what when nobody knows a thing about you even though they may have ours of time lurking.

again, my challenge. if you are member who has never posted a single thing, why are you here? get off you duff and ask some questions, offer some insight or at least introduce yourself.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 01:16:41 AM »
If you're enjoying a thread, make a comment saying so!  It can be rather disheartening putting the effort into a post only to have 50 views and no comments!

Lively discussion in threads certainly helps elevate the community feel of a board.

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 04:52:35 AM »
Sorry, I'll try to be more active. I've lurked off and on since this place started but only joined recently. I come from a place where I'd become afraid to make a post anymore. I'll try to relax.

Lou Manglass

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 09:29:34 AM »
Sorry, I'll try to be more active. I've lurked off and on since this place started but only joined recently. I come from a place where I'd become afraid to make a post anymore. I'll try to relax.

Lou Manglass

Absolutely Lou! Hang loose mother goose! There is not as much traffic here, but there is not nearly as much noise or ignorance either! Also, ring muscles are generally on a short timeline here. Everyone is pretty tolerant here meaning  folks really have to be almost begging for it to be shown the door here.

So yes, ease engage. Everyone is interested in your interests, plans, projects, tool toy purchases etc.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 04:38:15 PM »
 :103:

Good reminder to be active - firing up the grill!

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 07:48:01 PM »
I have made the mistake of posting way too much on other forums, that is to say quantity over quality so there have been many things I thought about posting but decided they may not be good enough.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 07:58:11 PM »
Not sure my content is all that interesting, but I try to post up. I was upset that this site wouldn't load. I check by here pretty regular and enjoy all who make the effort to post their content and thoughts.

Thanks to Uncle Buck, and all who helped get it back on line.
Rich

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 08:58:05 PM »
I stop by regularly and usually comment a time or two on each visit but I haven't been able to post pictures for a while. My phone and this site dont play well together. no matter what I do its too big to post. Its a hassle to download it to my laptop, resize then post.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 09:08:50 PM »
I stop by regularly and usually comment a time or two on each visit but I haven't been able to post pictures for a while. My phone and this site dont play well together. no matter what I do its too big to post. Its a hassle to download it to my laptop, resize then post.

I use Tapatalk and have no problems posting with the new version. All my pics upload quickly and easily.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 05:21:17 PM »
I used to post here fairly often, but then I could no longer post pictures, they were always to large no matter what I did to them.  Finally gave up and started being an observer.  I usually get on most days and do still enjoy the information posted.  I'm on Facebook on two sites where I have no problem posting pictures.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 06:38:15 PM »
You know , i get it about being afraid of posting due to the malicious roasting that some sites allow , but that shit don't fly here i mean just look at the crap i put up... lordy.
This site is very different from a lot of other sites i think because it's smaller and really has a genuine collection of good blokes here. 
So what the hell just give it ago.  :great:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 07:56:00 PM »
well said my west coast friend!  :bravo_2:

Offline john k

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 10:16:57 PM »
Never one to brag of my near boundless knowledge, hold myself in so as to not step on toes.  Huh?  Well, come to realize nodding my head, or shaking my chin does not translate to print here.  Guess bragging about the neat Armstrong, Vlchek,  and Bonalloy wrenches that jumped in my truck is next?  Still pulling wrenches on my old Chevy pu what killed the cow fills my day, but the gremlins are starting to hide the little stuff and bolts,  spending 45 minutes looking for an odd bolt with integral washer is wearing me out.