Author Topic: Herbrand J-9A Speedratchet  (Read 9723 times)

Offline Davethorik

Herbrand J-9A Speedratchet
« on: September 08, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »
Posted on GJ thought I'd share here too. This is the A variant of the Herbrand Speedratchet. I've wanted one for a while, got this in a trade with a GJ member.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Herbrand J-9A Speedratchet
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
Nice grab! Those are very cool. There was a vendor at Long Beach that dragged one around for a while. We went back and forth but he was just a little too high and he wanted too much money so we never came to terms. Havn't seen him in a while.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »
Thanks!

I only have 1 other Herbrand tool, an S-8 "Ratch-A-Daptor" I bought cheap on ebay. I live in NE Ohio and have never seen a Herbrand tool in the wild. This came from Arizona.

I believe the J-9 is more common. It looks totally different, except for grips and selector.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
Here is the J-9, pic courtesy AA.
I find mention on GJ of J-9 appearing in 1950 cat, and the J-9A is in the 1954 cat according to GJ member tinmedic.

Differences include; faceplate of ratchet now stamped with "Herbrand" "Made in U.S.A." "J-9A" and "VAN-CHROME" at 90° apart of where drive protrudes. J-9 had this stuff stamped into main forging of body. The small crank handle, and drive extension with rotating grip appear the same. Main forging entirely different shape on J-9A, reminiscent of the Herbrand no. 194 drain plug wrench, pic attached.

I didn't count teeth but feels about 20. Very smooth action. Selector very positive. It has been used so I might have to give it a try for novelty's sake. But I've just always had a thing for these, and was an important bucket list tool off the list. A pry it out of my cold dead hands addition to my personal Davesonian, lmfao

Herbrand also made other obscure speeder ratchet examples, courtesy of this 1942 cat snippet. I believe Snap-on made something similar.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
Nice green handle. Gotta say this "suicide knob" style of ratchet is wearing on me.

So glad Bonney didn't make one....cause I'd have to have it.  :D

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
Thanks bonneyman!

I think the A revision was an across-the-line change for Herbrand. On the J-9, there are 4 Philips screws retaining the faceplate. The J-9A only has 2. The older head shape was rounded at one end, tapering to a neck at other end. Newer shape is more of a racetrack oval. Selector appears the same, although I know Herbrand switched up the slide direction at some point. Dunno about internals.

Rotating grip on drive extension held on with cclips, so removeable to clean. crank handle appears semipermanently peened in place.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »
Sweet. always great to cross one off the list. and what a cool design.

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »
The guts are quite different between the two.  Both use conical springs for the pawls, but the earlier 4 screw vertical shifter has scalloped pawls, while the later 2 screw horizontal uses more typical flat pawls and a spring/ball hidden in the hollow shifter to keep it held to one side or the other.  Be VERY careful when pulling a 2 screw apart, as that ball will disappear FAST if you're not expecting it (and sometimes even when you are...).

In the interest of full disclosure, these are Billings branded ratchets by Herbrand - couldn't locate the Herbrands as fast as I found the Billings.

That J9A was a good score - I've been watching for one to go with my earlier J9, but they go for stupid money on fleabay.  The J9 cost me all of @ $15 at a local auction some decades ago - all the Snappy stuff there was attracting the stupid bids then.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:02:48 AM by PowderKeg »

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on taking apart the ratchet. I have one, have never taken it apart. I would hate to lose the ball spring.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 10:25:07 PM »
Yes, big thanks Powder Keg. I was curious to see the guts. Gotta grab some 1 gallon freezer ziplocs now.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 11:51:11 PM »
Wow, necro post. I finally found a J-9 to go with my J-9A.
Thanks Roy, this thing is a beaut.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 07:54:30 AM »
What a score! To have both examples in the same pic. Very nice!   :dance:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 08:25:50 AM »
That is a thing of beauty. Love the old Herbrand line. Congrats!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »
Blue handled goodness, has to be one of the pinnacle tools in the collector world
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 11:53:22 AM »
Be a shame to put those in a box. Build a display case for those beauties.