Author Topic: OK, I'm a hypocrite now  (Read 20385 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: OK, I'm a hypocrite now
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »

It's worthy opinion. I'd be hard pressed not to buy HF if I were starting over these days.

It seems there is a trend to do just that among the new techs. HF isn't opening 2 stores a week (they opened 100 stores from 2017 to 2018) without a solid base of new buyers. They donated over a million in tools to LA Unified School District and donated all the tools to the auto program at Pierce Collage (a local community college).
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »
Although I am embarrassed about owning a HF portable aluminum air tank and die grinder, if I were starting a collection of hand tools I would suggest estate sales, flea markets and garage sales. One can often find top quality American made hand tools at these sales for pennies on the dollar. Why buy new offshore tools of suspect quality when for even less money you can find top quality tools that will last a lifetime? I’m pretty sure those Pittsburgh branded tools aren’t actually made in Pittsburgh!
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
Although I am embarrassed about owning a HF portable aluminum air tank and die grinder, if I were starting a collection of hand tools I would suggest estate sales, flea markets and garage sales. One can often find top quality American made hand tools at these sales for pennies on the dollar. Why buy new offshore tools of suspect quality when for even less money you can find top quality tools that will last a lifetime? I’m pretty sure those Pittsburgh branded tools aren’t actually made in Pittsburgh!
-Don

For sure, Don. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on scrounging through the used places and finding quality tools. I'm just saying if I were starting over - looking back at how I was from the vantage point I'm at now - I can't really nuke young guys buying the cheaper stuff. (It used to be Craftsman, but then Craftsman was decent, made in USA tools). I'd also recommend they hunt for good vintage tools, but, guys who need a starter set can't wait 6-12 months to "find" that good set. Maybe people like fatfillup who sell tools would be somewhere we could recommend beginners go get a set of tools that aren't foreign?

I don't know how the noobies do it these days. Even in HVAC - I just can't see how techs just starting out do it with the demand for electronic everything and the prices companies charge. And even the long-standing companies who've been making AC tools for years and still making those tools have dropped the quality while raising the price. I don't know how the young guys do it. Maybe because they don't know any different they just accept it.  Gosh I'd love to get 3 or 4 young people and teach them the old way with real tools and  established procedures. Not just plugging in some electronic thing and it telling them what's wrong.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
If a new tech needed tools NOW, HF would be a good choice and replace with better as money allows.  Used tools can be had at bargain prices but its tough to find all you need quickly, its more a process and adventure (which is why we do it)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 12:59:22 PM »

I don't know how the noobies do it these days. Even in HVAC - I just can't see how techs just starting out do it with the demand for electronic everything and the prices companies charge. And even the long-standing companies who've been making AC tools for years and still making those tools have dropped the quality while raising the price. I don't know how the young guys do it. Maybe because they don't know any different they just accept it.  ...

The so called Millennials and the now emerging Generation Z are used to it - it is a way of life. I believe it starts with cell phones and electronics that are old at a couple years and are replaced frequently and they are not trivial purchases money wise.

I had a millennial working for me a few years back and she wanted Ughs (remember that fad?) and found a pair of cheap imitations. I mentioned I thought they were made cheaply and her response was basically who cares they will last about as long as her interest in them. So buying stuff with a short life expectation seems to be the norm. I know shoes aren't tools but the mindset I think is pretty much the same.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »
Even auctions and garage sales are no longer the place to get good USA tools every time.  Went to a large tool auction Saturday and 98 percent of it was China---walked away.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 06:14:23 PM »
Most of the estate sales around here have very little in the way of metrics and none of the "specialty" tools required of  newer auto repairs.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »
I have probably seen more busted USA tools than HF. I have encountered a few of the Cen-Tech and just China marked ones broken but not any Pittsburgh. I must say that HF has stepped up to the plate on quality as they knew they had to. Is HF my first choice in tools? No, but if they were all I had I'm sure I would get along just fine.