Author Topic: Hollands vises  (Read 9764 times)

Offline Davethorik

Hollands vises
« on: October 11, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »
I'd never ran into a Hollands til now. The vise market here in NEOH is freakishly lopsided toward Columbian and Reed, as one might expect. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm a big fan of both. But sometimes something different is refreshing.

Picked up this "little" guy for  $80, not a you suck price but not bad. No. 44, 4" jaw double swivel, opens 7", guess weight around 65#. Very smooth, aside from missing swivel handle and stuck jaw pin.

Anyway, who else has a Hollands? I always thought they were Reed clones but ehhh...starting to change my mind after buying one and looking up close. Lots of similarities but differences too.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Hollands vises
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »
That's a nice vise and a no complaints price. The funky paint job has probably protected it well. I haven't found the right deal on a swivel jaw vise yet, 9 times out of 10, they are missing the pin and/or the swivel has been welded. How much refurb are you planning?

Greyson

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »
That's a nice vise and a no complaints price. The funky paint job has probably protected it well. I haven't found the right deal on a swivel jaw vise yet, 9 times out of 10, they are missing the pin and/or the swivel has been welded. How much refurb are you planning?

Greyson

I’ve got the right deal but we’re too far haha.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
I've been looking at a Hollands vise on my local CL for $ 50.00 .  If I didn't have so many  project vise already , I would have grabbed it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:28:16 AM »
That is a fair deal.  I believe I had a smaller Holland come through a while back.  Solid vise.  Someone hhad refurbed it and it looked great and left quickly

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »

Greyson

Thanks guys. Greyson...it's not paint, idk. Looks like vise was painted a dark battleship grey, and then a coat of...motor oil? Wood varnish? Was applied with a brush.

This one won't get much, maybe a good cleaning to get the varnish off. It's next in line. It's bigger brother a newer Prentiss Bulldog 6" double swivel I have apart now, applying pb to get the swivel pin loose.

I had an older Prentiss 4.5" in the past, pin was stuck and snapped off flush, and one foot was missing. I moved that one along before working on it.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
Davethoric, if I could get a deal like yours here in Hawaii, I’d be all over it. Folks here just don’t give up good vises, but rather pass them down to family. Shipping and buying a good sized decent brand vise is insane trying to get one here. Ironically, I got my go to Vise from my wife’s grandfather in Florida. My wife took it apart and put it in her travel bags when she was visiting relatives. Yes, she’s a good wife, I think I’ll keep her.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »
Davethoric, if I could get a deal like yours here in Hawaii, I’d be all over it. Folks here just don’t give up good vises, but rather pass them down to family. Shipping and buying a good sized decent brand vise is insane trying to get one here. Ironically, I got my go to Vise from my wife’s grandfather in Florida. My wife took it apart and put it in her travel bags when she was visiting relatives. Yes, she’s a good wife, I think I’ll keep her.

Cruiser, I just got lucky. Around here it seems like there is an endless supply, but most of the big ones are gone, and what is left is overpriced smaller stuff. A lot of homeowner grade, and I ain't got time for that.

Then, there are an active legion of "vise grabbers" whether for scrap, resale, collecting, use. And these folk have deep pockets in some cases. Competition can be interesting.

For now, I'm at 7 vises and I think I'm good. I have a nicely rounded collection from 2" to 6", including a pipe vise.

Online highland512

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
I have a Hollands No. 35, it was on my grandfathers bench for years, now on mine. As heavy as its built im sure my son will have it if he wants it.