Author Topic: What you can find when lucky on eBay.  (Read 4660 times)

Offline bmwrd0

What you can find when lucky on eBay.
« on: November 01, 2018, 06:42:04 PM »
I spotted this lot on the 'bay not too long ago, and no one bid against me, so that was nice.

All this was in it:

Oh, and the little metal box?

(It was complete with all the sockets, but missing wrench no. 1124, the 3/8's.)
All that was a whopping $25 plus $17 shipping.

And it came with the mug!

Offline four.cycle

Re: What you can find when lucky on eBay.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »
Gah! Every time I spot one of those little Willams sets, some chucklehead bids it up to $60 or $80 bucks! Even the ones missing pieces!

My best score lately was the two (seemingly brand new) Proto 4749XLQR ratchets that set me back a whole $8.99 including shipping. (for the pair)

I'd say I fared pretty well on the box of Giller 3/8" and 1/2" drive stuff I got the other day - most of it apparently unused - in a 20-inch long steel box that's in cherry shape - for $36.00 including shipping (from the other side of the continent.)(shipping was more than the merchandise.)

The Proto 708 8-inch adjustable wrenches were $9 bucks a pop (including shipping) from a seller in Texas. Looks like he's still got a mess of them left - they're listed at $9.99 OBO - I only grabbed two of them so I wasn't pushy on price. Brand new.

Over the course of the last 6 months, it seems that sales of used tools on Ebay have really slowed down, and people simply are not paying the kind of prices they were for similar items only two years ago. I am not seeing the crazy bidding wars now that I was on the same items only a year ago. I don't know if it's market saturation or people being nervous about their money and the overall state of the economy and inflation. Maybe it's a combination of all of those factors.
The guy peddling off the Alloy-Artifacts stuff is pretty much giving it away - I grabbed his S-K "C" series set of SAE combination wrenches a week or so back for $40 bucks (including shipping) - 1/4" - 3/4" - all in like new condition. Two years ago that same set - used - was going for $60 - $70 bucks in a bidding war. Go figure.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
I might know that chucklehead. ;D ;D ;D

I haven't been able to snag much off Ebay in a while. Pretty much gave up. Seems like everyone is after the same things I am but they want it waaay more than me.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:50:24 PM »
Love that Williams set! That driver looks really interesting.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:06:33 PM »
Oh that outstanding. Well done! Congrats on a great score.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »
Very nice score, I've had to stay away from the bay for a bit lolx

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
I think prices slowing down on standard fractional sized wrenches and sockets in part is due to the overwhelming majority of metric used in almost everything these days. Heck, some younger guys even question whether they need standard sizes anymore.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »
^ No doubt. What year was the last American car built that used SAE fasteners?

SAE 1/2" drive socket sets are one of the slowest-moving items I see on Ebay. Who needs them anymore unless they're working on an old tractor?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
^ No doubt. What year was the last American car built that used SAE fasteners?

SAE 1/2" drive socket sets are one of the slowest-moving items I see on Ebay. Who needs them anymore unless they're working on an old tractor?

I think it would be tough to say standard fasteners are all gone even now on domestic vehicle brands. I think they just started slipping in more and more metric through the years until metric was the majority of hardware sizes found on domestic vehicles. I recall my dads 1978 Buick was the first car we had where metric started becoming a PITA for us when wrenching.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!