Author Topic: Pawnshop visit  (Read 10920 times)

Offline Crispycritter

Pawnshop visit
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Went to pawnshop on my lunch break and found a new box .
Bought the following for 25. Just the top red box it was marked 40 but I haggled and it had keys

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Pawnshop visit
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
That was worth $25. Nice buy.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 04:54:38 PM »
I would've bought it for $25.

I'm not much at talking to people though so I think I would've just handed over the $40 and walked out.
 I need to get better at talking to people so I can haggle prices down , I can't think of any other reason to talk to people in person that I don't know  :))
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 04:56:44 PM »

I'm not much at talking to people though so I think I would've just handed over the $40 and walked out.
 I need to get better at talking to people so I can haggle prices down , I can't think of any other reason to talk to people in person that I don't know  :))
haggling is a art.. I figure he probably bought it for 15-20 empty  and was happy to make 5 bucks

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »

haggling is a art.. I figure he probably bought it for 15-20 empty  and was happy to make 5 bucks
I'm sure it is.
You're probably right on what he payed, no way he'd have taken $25 otherwise.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:32:17 PM »

You have to learn to “deal” in pawn shops, yard sales, and life. A good negotiator can save himself or a company huge %’s of money. My approach in a pawn shop is to come in at half of sticker and start from there, and flash green backs. Most pawn shops (independent shops not national chains) really prefer cash and will work with you a lot because cash talks and credit cards require paper work. Don’t be afraid to walk either, I have won several deals with my hand on the door handle.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »
If an item is underpriced and i know i can make money on it, I won't haggle often.  If its more then I want to pay, I will simply ask, will you take $x and they say yes no or counter.  I always ask nicely and often add I only buy to resell and that's what I can pay. 

As to the box, well done, great buy. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »
Another little trick is check the box or item for a sticker put on by the pawn shop. It will have the date they bought it on there. I got a good deal on a MAC MB65 box when I checked the sticker and found that they had been sitting on it for 2 years. They were ready to get it out the door.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 10:26:49 AM »
heck yea. it is worth that and now you have some smaller drawers to organise with.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
It's a steal for $25

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
heck yea. it is worth that and now you have some smaller drawers to organise with.
my plans are for it to be a "brake box" just use 1 or 2 drawers for tools needed for brake jobs on semi