Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 218111 times)

Offline Cruiser808

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »
Nice sets Harlan! Indestro always pleases and I never knew Dewalt made drive tools.   :-\

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2018, 11:56:21 PM »
Here are some P&C sets from four decades. The oldest one is from the late 40’s. What seems to be unusual is the ratchet. The paddle handle is reminiscent of Plomb WF 9/32 ratchets of WWII, but the head looks like the Plomb pebble ratchet.

The set in the blue case is from the 50’s and the ratchet and the breaker bar Have a different type of handle.

By the 60’s P&C changed the ratchet all together with a Thorsen type design before Proto discontinued the brand.

Some simply outstanding P&C goodness here.

P & C anything is pretty much non-existent in my area. That paddle handle style breaker bar in the blue box has eluded me for many years.

Offline CRTDI

« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »
And if it is not to Corny!

I know it is missing a few sockets, but I am not sure what else, as I have never seen a catalog from that era.

Really like the Cornwell set. I don’t see many of those here in Hawaii. In fact, I haven’t seen any 1/4 sets in the wild.

Ditto for me as well. Would love to put a nice blue box era 1/4" set together. Don't know why, but it seems like any Cornwell stuff I come across is usually in pretty rough shape.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #303 on: October 12, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
What is it with Cornwell? They are an old company, and they seem to make pretty good stuff and have a decent following. Yet I rarely see them in the wild, and I don't even see their trucks that often (compared to Snap-On and Matco at least). Do they just not advertize or what?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #304 on: October 12, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
What is it with Cornwell? They are an old company, and they seem to make pretty good stuff and have a decent following. Yet I rarely see them in the wild, and I don't even see their trucks that often (compared to Snap-On and Matco at least). Do they just not advertize or what?
And I rarely even hear their name come up.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: October 12, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
And I rarely even hear their name come up.

the first rule of cornwell.........there is no cornwell..... :-X
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: October 12, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »

They keep a very low profile and will only sell through the dealers. They won't sell to you even if you don't have a dealer. I see ratchets at the swaps on occasion and once in a great while a wrench or socket but almost never a set. There was a Cornwell dealer at Long Beach a couple times but I think he was liquidating.

It seems SK is correct

the first rule of cornwell.........there is no cornwell..... :-X
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #307 on: October 12, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
Hi CRTDI - I too have that Easco set. But I have the 1104 instead of the 1103 in your set. Frankly, I’d prefer the 1103, but I take what I can get. I also have a rather unconventional Easco 1/4 set with a ratcheting screwdriver. It’s in this plastic bubble case. I recall Sears sold this ratcheting screwdriver, but I never grabbed one. At the time, my mother in law gave me a “screwball” ratchet driver and for years I used it instead. By the time I decided I was going to buy the Craftsman, Sears discontinued selling them and Easco was gone. Fortunately, I found this one on eBay several years ago for a decent price. I don’t use very much though, as I fell in love with Snap-on ratcheting screwdrivers. They’re expensive, but just they feel right in my hands.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:20:56 PM by Cruiser808 »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #308 on: October 12, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
Hi CRTDI - I too have that Easco set. But I have the 1104 instead of the 1103 in your set. Frankly, I’d prefer the 1103, but I take what I can get. I also have a rather unconventional Easco 1/4 set with a ratcheting screwdriver. It’s in this plastic bubble case. I recall Sears sold this ratcheting screwdriver, but I never grabbed one. By the time I decided I was going to buy one, Sears discontinued selling them and Easco was gone. Fortunately, I found this one on eBay several years ago for a decent price.
Now both those sets are very cool.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #309 on: October 12, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »
Thanks H&S. I appreciate your kind words. Also, we should all thank CRTDI for taking the time to share his fabulous collection. I mostly stick to Proto Empire Tools and would not have even bothered to show the Easco tools if it hadn’t been for him. CRTDI keeps this thread humming.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:28:10 PM by Cruiser808 »

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: October 12, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
Never seen those Eascos with that handle before.

I think all brands are welcome at least I'm anxious to see them so if you got em flaunt em.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #311 on: October 12, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »
Will do, Steve. You’re the boss.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #312 on: October 12, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »
A little Easco set I have, don't remember if I posted already or not.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #313 on: October 12, 2018, 06:16:49 PM »
Thanks H&S. I appreciate your kind words. Also, we should all thank CRTDI for taking the time to share his fabulous collection. I mostly stick to Proto Empire Tools and would not have even bothered to show the Easco tools if it hadn’t been for him. CRTDI keeps this thread humming.
Definitely keep posting what you've got, and I hope he does as well.
Although you guys are making me want to collect when my goal is just to acquire what I need, so thanks for enabling  ;)
At least this will be a good selection of 1/4 ratchets to look though and decide what I may want to seek out and try.

Always lookin' to learn

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: October 12, 2018, 06:32:32 PM »
Will do, Steve. You’re the boss.

I don't want to be a boss. Much happier as a minion.