Author Topic: 1/4 Drive Sets  (Read 218132 times)

Offline four.cycle

Re: 1/4 Drive Sets
« Reply #435 on: October 31, 2018, 01:33:49 AM »
This is (as near as I can tell) kind of a mish-mash of old Duro Chrome and Indestro - all "D I" period stuff - inexplicably in a "None Better" box that's in really great condition. I love it when Ebay sellers have absolutely no clue what they have.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #436 on: October 31, 2018, 01:36:03 AM »
Quote from: CRTDI
Snappy and SK thumb ratchet sets. I like the SK ratchet better than the Snappy. Just has a lot smoother action.

I've got one of those S-K 49270 units around here somewhere. Never used it in the real world, but it did seem like it had a nice action.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #437 on: October 31, 2018, 01:37:56 AM »
another (of probably far too many) Duro Chrome / Indestro 1/4" drive sets - this one's in an early Duro Chrome box, but unless I'm mistaken it's not a box for a 1/4" drive set. The sockets, like the set above are "D I" series.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:28:52 AM by four.cycle »

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #438 on: October 31, 2018, 01:41:30 AM »
A Fleet 1/4" drive SAE set in a plastic box that unfortunately won't stay closed - warped because it was exposed to heat. I'm guessing that it might be missing a piece or two.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #439 on: October 31, 2018, 01:46:53 AM »
JS Technology Inc., Alpharetta, Georgia - contract supplier for military/government. As with the KAL/Proamerica sets above, the NSN number calls this a "small arms repair kit". I do not believe that JS Technology actually manufactured any of these pieces, but I've never been able to figure out who the OE supplier was.
Some say S-K, but that Kilness-type clip ring on the drive side of the head certainly doesn't look like any S-K ratchets that I own.
Fit and finish on these is fabulous. I think I have three of these sets - all appear to be unused. Really nice action on the ratchet - similar feel to the 2426 Wright.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #440 on: October 31, 2018, 01:52:39 AM »
Mustang 1/4" drive SAE set - made by New Britain Machine as a "price point" line. Cadmium plated. Note the wonky slide-top box. I did find a Mustang ratchet in a 1/4" drive, but the box is too small for the ratchet to fit in there. I'm guessing this was the low-end 1/4" drive set in their product line-up.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #441 on: October 31, 2018, 01:54:46 AM »
Older New Britain 1/4" drive set with wooden-handled spinner. I am reasonably confident the box is original.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #442 on: October 31, 2018, 01:57:25 AM »
A U.S. made Stanley 1/4" drive SAE set - all original (and as near as I can tell complete) - appears to have never been used.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #443 on: October 31, 2018, 02:01:49 AM »
A U.S. made Truecraft 1/4" drive SAE set. The sockets are all 1/4" square drive. The bits are all 1/4" hex drive. The reversible ratcheting driver handle (with a storage compartment in the handle) and all the sockets are marked "U.S.A.". The bits have no markings other than their sizes.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #444 on: October 31, 2018, 02:05:45 AM »
A Crescent "Give Wings to Work" 1/4" drive SAE set in the original box. Appears to be complete. The re-branded 2400 Wright ratchet is not original to the set - it was an add-on.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #445 on: October 31, 2018, 02:07:57 AM »
A Firestone 1/4" drive SAE set. The exterior of the box is a little rough, but the tools are in fabulous condition. Everything is stamped "Firestone". Appears to be complete.

The sets I've posted this evening were those within easy reach on the top layer. I'm sure if I start digging I'll come up with more. No idea where the Indestro sets are, but I never did get out into the garage yet.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:12:55 AM by four.cycle »

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #446 on: October 31, 2018, 02:31:39 AM »
Quote from: d42jeep
I am continually on the search for a dark finish, knurled, 6 point 7/16” socket that I know exists but have been unable to locate.

Take a look at that second Walden set I posted on the previous page - post #428 - I noticed all the sockets in that set are 6-points, but they're not "knurled" like some other Walden pieces.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #447 on: October 31, 2018, 03:39:25 AM »
another (of probably far too many) Duro Chrome / Indestro 1/4" drive sets - this one's in an early Duro Chrome box, but unless I'm mistaken it's not a box for a 1/4" drive set. The sockets, like the set above are "D I" series.
Duro had two sizes of boxes that they used for the 1/4” drive sets. Both the large and small boxes are correct. Here a few sets with D-I sockets and Duro or Indestro drive tools.
-Don

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #448 on: October 31, 2018, 03:41:18 AM »
Quote from: d42jeep
I am continually on the search for a dark finish, knurled, 6 point 7/16” socket that I know exists but have been unable to locate.

Take a look at that second Walden set I posted on the previous page - post #428 - I noticed all the sockets in that set are 6-points, but they're not "knurled" like some other Walden pieces.
Thanks. I took a close look. Email on the way!
-Don

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2018, 04:22:55 AM »
RE: post 447 / small box at bottom:
I am assuming from the remnants of the decal that box is an original Duro Chrome box, correct?
I've got an early "D I" set somewhere here in a small box, but unless I'm mistaken the divider for the sockets is different than yours. (I might have my wires crossed there - it's been a while since I've seen it.)

RE: Walden 7/16" 6-point knurled socket: I emailed you the photo image - it's a crappy shot. I'll try to remember to dig that one out and reshoot it in the morning and send it down to you. They don't look knurled to me. More 'smooth wall" (like Oxwall.) Weird. I was pretty sure all my older Walden sets had that knurling about the perimeter. Go figure.

RE: Those two Duro / Indestro sets I posted above: I think they're both hodge-podge. I could be wrong. Both of them contain breakers clearly stamped " 2850 ".
I thought that was Indestro's part number. The 1940 Duro Chrome catalog shows the breaker as being a model 4550. Most of the sockets are stamped "D I".
A few are clearly stamped "Duro Chrome". Seems odd I'd have two sets that seem to be cobbled together. Maybe not.

I know there's more Walden here somewhere. I may well have that socket you're after. Probably just a matter of digging. All this stuff I posted today was just what was on the tops of the piles and easy to get at.

BK