Author Topic: Mystery Husky 22800 3/8 ratchet ( again)  (Read 3110 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Mystery Husky 22800 3/8 ratchet ( again)
« on: October 06, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »
I posted about this ratchet a while back with little info but figured I'd ask again since more members have found their way back.
I have still not seen another example of this particular Husky ratchet which I received as a non original replacement in a New Britain Husky set, but I did just find a 20800 1/4 on Ebay and purchased it.

Since the last posting I did discover that this is a Husky professional ratchet, I still don't know how old it is but I'm thinking between late 90's and 2010.
That timeframe is just a feeling I have,  though it may be based on some information I've got tucked away in a dark dusty corner of my mind.

All I do know is that it's a Husky professional , more common are a roundhead Husky pro with this same handle, and that it's a copy of a PROTO big dawg mechanism.
I believe the 90's Husky pro tools were standard rebranded Stanly professional,  and it would make sense that this has a big dawg style mechanism.

Any thoughts are welcome.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:37:35 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Mystery Husky 22800 3/8 ratchet ( again)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:15:05 AM »
it has similarities to the big dawg but it isn't . the head shape and lever shape are close but the big dawg uses screw to hold it together. the plate and pawl mechanism look way different. the big dawg has a thick steel plate and that appears to be a stamped plate.. in fact it looks as if the pawl has a pin that fits in the dimpled areas of the plate.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »
it has similarities to the big dawg but it isn't . the head shape and lever shape are close but the big dawg uses screw to hold it together. the plate and pawl mechanism look way different. the big dawg has a thick steel plate and that appears to be a stamped plate.. in fact it looks as if the pawl has a pin that fits in the dimpled areas of the plate.
It's a spring and ball that interacts with the dimples in the plate.
For some reason the 1/4 doesn't seem to have these dimples.

Last time I asked about this I was told the general mechanism was of the big dawg design.
I could see that the leaver looked to pretty much be the same and the head shape was similar,  but obviously nothing was really identical.

With the lock ring construction of this ratchet I'm sure the head is noticeably thicker than the PROTO as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:35:48 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 07:33:49 PM »
Got the 1/4 in.

Like the 3/8, the spring tension is pretty stiff but it is pretty smooth and the F&F is excellent.
That's what I would expect from a Professional marketed tool though.
Always lookin' to learn