Author Topic: What's in your tool box? Post up pics!  (Read 21696 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: What's in your tool box? Post up pics!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
Pullers

It either takes a whole lot of money, or a lot of time, and a much smaller amount of money (which was my case) to accumulate a wide selection of quality pullers. Now doing it on the cheap like I have I do not have quite the extensive range of pullers I see in your collection, though I do have a good selection for a home shop guy that has never worked in the trades or as a paid wrench so the cost of $ quality pullers like a few of those shown I have never been able to add.

My pullers have all been bought on the cheap, or at least semi reasonable. I never needed the puller I bought when I bought every one of them. I bought them used knowing it might be years before I use them. If you buy them cheap enough you can afford to have them for years before using them due to their great cost (the quality ones) I always have my eyes peeled for quality pullers on the cheap and will buy them in a heartbeat when I find them cheap enough. The good ones are few and far between used (unless you are Phil) so I grab them quick when they show up!

I like all of your pullers!  8)
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
 Thanks, it's definitely gotten the job done.
From working on my lawn mowers bikes or the swamp cooler, I've had to go to the garage to grab the 3/8 and a larger socket a few times but I've yet to need more than I've got in here any times I've taken it somewhere.

I recently realized a need for some regular screwdrivers, but those Rosco's I had weren't the most ideal selection so I went ahead and swapped them out for these 4 craftsmans that seemed to fit the bill.

I've got enough screwdrivers out in the garage so these won't be missed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:37:44 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »
Just reorganized the road box -- I keep it in the Caddy DTS because the trunk is big enough to swallow it without problem.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
Some of the drawers I use... More pics tommorow I was really busy in shop

What box is that?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
Just reorganized the road box -- I keep it in the Caddy DTS because the trunk is big enough to swallow it without problem.

That must weigh more than the Spitfire. Looks like you're well covered - you even have a traveling mic.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
Some of the drawers I use... More pics tommorow I was really busy in shop

What box is that?
it's a masterforce 41in I have a few more drawers to take pics of but I was busy..

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
No hurry just didn't recognize it.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 06:27:37 PM »

That must weigh more than the Spitfire. Looks like you're well covered - you even have a traveling mic.

Oh yeah it is! My FACOM cantilever holds just my car specialty tools - and it weighs a ton!

Offline muddy

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »
What do for a living. Assuming mechanic, just wondering what field (automotive, industrial, etc)

Ag for 20 years, now forklifts, semi's, truck mounted cranes etc. Got tired of working 6-7 days a week and long hours in the summer time. Now I have week-ends off year round

Was Ag for about 5 years. Then rental (anything and everything) now forklifts.

Miss the ag loved splitting tractors and tearing hydro motors apart.

Snaparxon

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 09:36:02 PM »
Pullers

It either takes a whole lot of money, or a lot of time, and a much smaller amount of money (which was my case) to accumulate a wide selection of quality pullers. Now doing it on the cheap like I have I do not have quite the extensive range of pullers I see in your collection, though I do have a good selection for a home shop guy that has never worked in the trades or as a paid wrench so the cost of $ quality pullers like a few of those shown I have never been able to add.

My pullers have all been bought on the cheap, or at least semi reasonable. I never needed the puller I bought when I bought every one of them. I bought them used knowing it might be years before I use them. If you buy them cheap enough you can afford to have them for years before using them due to their great cost (the quality ones) I always have my eyes peeled for quality pullers on the cheap and will buy them in a heartbeat when I find them cheap enough. The good ones are few and far between used (unless you are Phil) so I grab them quick when they show up!

Most of my tools were bought with a lot of time and gas and little money. My Snap on standard wrench set from 1/4" to 1-5/8" was acquired using the Johnny Cash method. I bought the 1-1/2" , 1-1-7/16"  and 1-5/16" new from Snap on the rest were flea markets yard sales and trading. Same for the pullers

Snaparxon

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
What do for a living. Assuming mechanic, just wondering what field (automotive, industrial, etc)

Ag for 20 years, now forklifts, semi's, truck mounted cranes etc. Got tired of working 6-7 days a week and long hours in the summer time. Now I have week-ends off year round

Was Ag for about 5 years. Then rental (anything and everything) now forklifts.

Miss the ag loved splitting tractors and tearing hydro motors apart.

Forklifts weren't too difficult to learn, propane has been a new learning experience though ::)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »
Pullers

Most of my tools were bought with a lot of time and gas and little money. My Snap on standard wrench set from 1/4" to 1-5/8" was acquired using the Johnny Cash method. I bought the 1-1/2" , 1-1-7/16"  and 1-5/16" new from Snap on the rest were flea markets yard sales and trading. Same for the pullers

If I actually worked in the trades there have been several Snap-on sets that were dirt cheap $100-150 dollar neighborhood that I would have added through the years if I had wrenched for a living or was someone whose living depends on my tools, but when found it was after my carefree single tool buying days with a wife and four kids so sadly, those great bargains just did not fit or my supply of pullers might have been almost twice what it is today with no more than maybe $3-4 hundred outlay for trade quality USA made sets. It was tough to pass on those bargains, but I cannot complain, I have been lucky to assemble what I have on the cheap.

A lot of time, gas and money is the smartest way to buy tools if one can in my opinion, though sometimes a guy will end up with some mixed sets of quality sockets in doing so. For example, my 1/2" chrome swivels are a mixed brand set that took years to acquire.

Sounds like your and mu approach to buying tools is very similar though.

My experience buying pullers used has been that unless it says Snap-on or Mac or Matco on it all the rest of the quality brands like Proto, OTC, Blackhawk and the rest fly under the radar in many pawn shops and second hand. Unless the seller is shrewd and tool savvy pullers are often undervalued and even among tool buyers, often the bargain is underappreciated or unrecognized. Especially for older names like Hinsdale or Plomb. (Although Plomb bargains are not as plentiful as they once were)
You just have to pass on the Hobo Freight stuff and only settle for the good stuff! (A few tools I refuse to accept cheaper imports and the first on that list has always been pullers. Way too much opportunity for injury when you start exerting hundreds or thousands of pounds of force to risk that on cheap tools) 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:30:14 AM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline john k

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
Drawer of my little miscellaneous box.   Catches all the odd purchases, like that speed wrench with swivel end.  Sears wrenches, Thorsen bits and pieces. 

Offline john k

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 11:18:01 PM »
Plier drawer of my SnapOn working box, and the 3/8 drive drawer with standards,  I kept the metrics separate,  didn't want any friction to develop between them and the SAE sizes. 

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 11:28:37 PM »
Just the bare essentials.