Author Topic: 1/4" ratchet preferences.  (Read 23848 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

1/4" ratchet preferences.
« on: October 14, 2018, 05:50:51 PM »
I'm genuinely curious about your preferences for 1/4" ratchet design and features goes.

Most of my ratchet use is with 1/4" so that's where I have the most preferences which aren't really a lot to begin with because I've just not been around long enough.
I notice when a mechanism is really coarse or sloppy, but I've yet to run into tight spaces where the highest tooth count or lowest profile head would matter so for me it boils down to hand feel.

It seems I often have most of a 1/4" ratchets body consumed in my hand, and I don't really like a round handle and neck as you'd see on a classic S-K round head design.
The Craftsman teardrop raised pannel feels okay but is a bit too narrow.
I most prefer a thumb lever though the switch of a round head isn't that hard to operate with my thumb.
Overall my current favorite is my indestro, not that I have many anyways.

I'm sure I'll find my perfect 1/4" ratchet eventually, something in a pearhead with a grip that's not round.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Cruiser808

Re: 1/4" ratchet preferences.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:15:31 PM »
Hi H&S, there is no simple answer to your question.  Preference will depend on factors such as type of use environment , amateur vs professional,  hand size, etc. The list goes on. In todays world, I'm finding more and more use for 1/4 drive tools.  I personality like ratchets with the smallest head and most teeth. Like in under dash and inner door work. But, sometimes torque in confined spots is needed. In my wife's car, I exclusively used my Proto - Challenger 1/4 metric set to remove and replace a radiator.  I was surprised to say the least.

This is a good thread and I trust you'll  get a lot of good information from this expert group.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:26:58 PM by Cruiser808 »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »
I hold a ratchet a little different most of the time than you do. I have never found the perfect ratchet or one that is best for all circumstances so I find a variety helpful. Cruiser hit it.

I usually prefer a flex head and I usually prefer an all steel handle but there are exceptions to both. I think in general a lot of the tooth count business is just contrived marketing but there are times when it does make a difference but again preference also plays in. If you are really in a situation where you only have enough swing for a high tooth count ratchet you have a hobby no matter what you are using.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 07:21:25 PM »
You guys have brought up great points.
I can definitely understand having different purposes for particular ratchets, and I'm sure the time will come that I'll know first hand.
I've yet to do any kind of automotive related work, just on a 2 stroke bike kit and on my lawn mower so tight spaces haven't come up yet.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
The one you're holding is my personal fav - an Indestro # 6072 pear head. Next would be an EASCO RHFT and then the HF composite.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »
I have a wide variety of brands of ratchets in the three popular drive sizes but I will admit a strong affinity for the RHFT Craftsman ratchets which were the what I started with and all I had for a number of years. All the other brands followed, but the RHFT would be my go to even today over every other brand I have.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:16:23 PM »
The one you're holding is my personal fav - an Indestro # 6072 pear head. Next would be an EASCO RHFT and then the HF composite.
It certainly works with my hand, the EASCO RHFT definitely looks like something my hand would like.
Honestly I would not be surprised if the ratchet I eventually settle on is something I never thought about.
The roumd handle indestro works for me because the neck isn't round.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
Honestly the HF composite is my go to ratchet more and more. The smaller round handles are too hard to get a hold of.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »
It certainly works with my hand, the EASCO RHFT definitely looks like something my hand would like.
Honestly I would not be surprised if the ratchet I eventually settle on is something I never thought about.

You see that's the main problem for me with 1/4"ers - the things are just too small to hold well. At least with the EASCO the round handle has nice deep knurls. And the HF composite is BIG for a 1/4".

Just grabbed a Blackhawk roundhead that looks like a Stanley clone - like the ones they made for Craftsman in the 80's? Very big for a 1/4"er. If you want it, just say the word and I'll send it. Got too many ratchets anyway.

I'll post a compare pic tomorrow and then you can decide.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:36:07 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
Honestly the HF composite is my go to ratchet more and more. The smaller round handles are too hard to get a hold of.

Since picking up a 1/4" and 3/8" for $17 total I've been throwing jobs at them. They are surprisngly nice. Who would have thunk, eh?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:48:09 PM »

You see that's the main problem for me with 1/4"ers - the things are just too small to hold well. At least with the EASCO the round handle has nice deep knurls. And the HF composite is BIG for a 1/4".

Just grabbed a Blackhawk roundhead that looks like a Stanley clone - like the ones they made for Craftsman in the 80's? Very big for a 1/4"er. If you want it, just say the word and I'll send it. Got too many ratchets anyway.

I'll post a compare pic tomorrow and then you can decide.
I'd love to be able to try out another 1/4" ratchet that's not a Craftsman indestro or a bottom of the barrel round head import.
Chances are I'll like anything better than my late production Craftsman with the plastic parts.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:24:02 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 07:38:05 AM »
like others have said. it is hard to pick one. can i pick 3 or 4?

all around handy? an sk round head is hard to beat

comfy? my proto big dawg with hard handle. i don't know i just like it.

rounding out the list are my armstrong aerospace with 88 clicks and the matching flex head with 60. small,  smooth, compact and lots of clicks with that great shaped handle.

from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
You know, I'm not above sliding a piece of fuel hose over a handle to add thickness and grip. I tried it once as a stop-gate measure, and it worked so well I've repeated the process on others.
Here's a 3/8" Bonney I pulled the stunt on - it really helps it out.

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
For all-around general use, the venerable MDF designed Craftsman RHFT with QR has been my go-to 1/4" for ages.  For more leverage or extra handle length, either a long handle Snappy or long flex Williams.   On the rare occasion the Craftsman head was too thick, a Proto/Armstrong/Herbrand/Bonney oval head has fit the bill nicely.

If QR on a RHFT is bothersome, look for a non-QR version branded for EASCO, Master Mechanic, or NAPA.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
like others have said. it is hard to pick one. can i pick 3 or 4?

all around handy? an sk round head is hard to beat

comfy? my proto big dawg with hard handle. i don't know i just like it.

rounding out the list are my armstrong aerospace with 88 clicks and the matching flex head with 60. small,  smooth, compact and lots of clicks with that great shaped handle.
I was just interested in the features and designs you like, not one specific rstchet.
Always lookin' to learn