Author Topic: 1/4" ratchet preferences.  (Read 23836 times)

Offline Davethorik

Re: 1/4" ratchet preferences.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »

rounding out the list are my armstrong aerospace with 88 clicks and the matching flex head with 60. small,  smooth, compact and lots of clicks with that great shaped handle.

I have a 60t Armstrong 10-994 locking flex I bought new, the first (at that time) new ratchet I'd ever bought. I love that thing. I think it's around 6.5", perfect length IMO.

I have some other nice 1/4 rats, incl. SK, Wright, and a couple RHFT. I grab the Armstrong first, for just about everything except high torque, then I grab the Cornwells. I've found that since I got them, I don't reach for my 3/8 in 1/4 as much.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 06:24:46 PM »

rounding out the list are my armstrong aerospace with 88 clicks and the matching flex head with 60. small,  smooth, compact and lots of clicks with that great shaped handle.

I have a 60t Armstrong 10-994 locking flex I bought new, the first (at that time) new ratchet I'd ever bought. I love that thing. I think it's around 6.5", perfect length IMO.

I have some other nice 1/4 rats, incl. SK, Wright, and a couple RHFT. I grab the Armstrong first, for just about everything except high torque, then I grab the Cornwells. I've found that since I got them, I don't reach for my 3/8 in 1/4 as much.
They sound nice, got any pictures ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »
Well, my camera just freaked out and doesn't seem to want to work. So for the moment I can't get pics of the Blackhawk ratchet I was telling you about. Dang technology!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
I usually use nut drivers in that size range, but when I do open up the 1/4 set, it is a pear head. I have never been a big fan of round heads, though I do admire the SK in 1/4, very smooth.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 08:31:17 PM »
Well, my camera just freaked out and doesn't seem to want to work. So for the moment I can't get pics of the Blackhawk ratchet I was telling you about. Dang technology!
Was it the ratchet from this post ?
http://garagegazette.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=450.0;attach=2241;image
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 09:13:13 PM »
http://garagegazette.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=450.0;attach=2241;image

Yeah, that's it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »

Yeah, that's it.
I used to have a ratchet with the thumb wheel and that was a feature I quite liked, I'd love to try this ratchet out.
How long is it ?
It's no biggie if it wouldn't fit in one of my sets, but 6" or less would and that'd be a bonus.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »

Yeah, that's it.
I used to have a ratchet with the thumb wheel and that was a feature I quite liked, I'd love to try this ratchet out.
How long is it ?
It's no biggie if it wouldn't fit in one of my sets, but 6" or less would and that'd be a bonus.

5 3/4" end to end.
It's a bit tight turning, so, you'd have to lube it for sure. The chrome looks good though.

Send me a 5 spot to cover shipping and I'll get it heading your way.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
like others have said. it is hard to pick one. can i pick 3 or 4?

all around handy? an sk round head is hard to beat

comfy? my proto big dawg with hard handle. i don't know i just like it.

I was just interested in the features and designs you like, not one specific rstchet.

Then you confused me too.........I thought you meant my go to 1/4" ratchet.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline highland512

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
My all time favorite goto 1/4 ratchet is the Tuff1 sk, great tooth count, one hand selectable, and smooth as glass but it is very thick.

My experience there is no perfect ratchet no matter the drive size. Thats why you need a drawer full of ratchets!! I bet I have 10-15 1/4 ratchets and use them all regularly.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 01:51:36 PM »
Three ratchets seem to make it into my hands every time I need one. Two long handle (a grearwrench flex head and a Williams flex head), and a Wright short flexhead. I use the tried and true SK round head every now and then, but the long handle flex heads are my favorites.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
I didn’t care much for flex ratchets, that is until engine hood compartments got crazy tight and crowded. Now they are a necessity and a must have in any tool box.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »
That Wright flex head looks like an awesome ratchet, that might have to be something I try out down the road. I need to try out a felx head 1/4 in general but the handle on that Wright in particular looks great.

The piece of air hose is a good idea, I may have to try a piece on my Craftsman and see if it fits my hand a little better.
Always lookin' to learn

Online Crispycritter

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 04:45:54 PM »
3 go-to ratchets for me snappy extra long 3/8 flex. Snap on long 1/2 flex or snap on 1/4 flex

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 05:06:46 PM »
Since you wanted to see some different features on 1/4" ratchets here is some variety for you.
First up are from the top: Craftsman Tri-wing with no QR, SK no QR, Snap On no QR with a thin profile, TrueCraft Japan flex that has good detents in the flex w/no QR thumb wheel but a very short handle. Next up is a side view.
Third pic: Husky out of a set no QR but has a thumb wheel and no COO even though the sockets in the set are USA, Kobalt 90T QR that is my go to ratchet, Craftsman I recently got in a box I bought thin head QR and no COO but a thin profile, Allen USA QR with the thumb wheel on the face, No name Japan no QR that came in a box I bought that looks kind of like a Kraueter. Next up is the side view.